Passat B6 US lights

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Hey guys, does anyone know how to enable US running lights function via VAGCOM. I'm in Europe and I've seen a few passats around with them I'd assume this is normal on your cars in USA but here its not heres a picture for reference

Here in Ireland our turn signals are completely off until your turning and switch one on but US lights allows the amber to be on constantly and when turning they flicker as usual. Its the light in the bumper above the fog light area.

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
It should be in the CECM module, for North American DRLs.

If you have a VCDS, you have 2 options for DRLs, well technically 3.
1) North American DRLs (low beam at reduced PWM)
2) Scandinavian DRLs (low beam and exterior lights on)
3) Fog lights as DRLs.

The NA DRLs will also affect the behavior of the light switch, so in the middle position, it will be the DRLs that stay on, instead of the running lights.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
It should be in the CECM module, for North American DRLs.

If you have a VCDS, you have 2 options for DRLs, well technically 3.
1) North American DRLs (low beam at reduced PWM)
2) Scandinavian DRLs (low beam and exterior lights on)
3) Fog lights as DRLs.

The NA DRLs will also affect the behavior of the light switch, so in the middle position, it will be the DRLs that stay on, instead of the running lights.
Those lights above the fog grills are they parking bulbs, meaning they stay on with dip lights and headlights or are they the turn signals? I bought my Passat recently and I haven't really checked it out yet. All I know is I want them Orange like the picture!

Last edited:

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Those lights above the fog grills are they parking bulbs, meaning they stay on with dip lights and headlights or are they the turn signals? I bought my Passat recently and I haven't really checked it out yet. All I know is I want them Orange like the picture!
They are turn signals.

You can make the turn signals on with the corner marker lights, using VCDS. But the H21W bulb will get hot and start melting plastic, so you can dial down the intensity for it.

It's in VCDS.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
They are turn signals.
You can make the turn signals on with the corner marker lights, using VCDS. But the H21W bulb will get hot and start melting plastic, so you can dial down the intensity for it.
It's in VCDS.
I've watched a few videos on how to do it now, what percentage do you think would be best it goes from 0-100% right? The higher the percentage the brighter it is and most likely the hotter it gets. Also I have to pick up VCDS, is it just the software and cable and it can work off any normal laptop?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have to laugh, there are so many on this board from the USA who want to delete the DRL's, which are a safety feature for you to be seen.
Now along comes a member from Ireland who wants just that feature, congrats bud!

Incidentally one way I identify police cars on the highways or in town is that the do not use DRL's, though the new Dodge Charger models may be different.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I've watched a few videos on how to do it now, what percentage do you think would be best it goes from 0-100% right? The higher the percentage the brighter it is and most likely the hotter it gets. Also I have to pick up VCDS, is it just the software and cable and it can work off any normal laptop?
Yes, VCDS cable and a regular windows laptop.

10% is a good amount.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
I have to laugh, there are so many on this board from the USA who want to delete the DRL's, which are a safety feature for you to be seen.
Now along comes a member from Ireland who wants just that feature, congrats bud!

Incidentally one way I identify police cars on the highways or in town is that the do not use DRL's, though the new Dodge Charger models may be different.
Lol its pretty big over here a lot of people run US lights mostly on German vehicles not so much Jap. I think it looks great too.

Thanks indigo I'll definately pick up VCDS soon and give it a go.

Aato

TDI
1.9TDI Passat B6
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I might be activating this tomorrow as I have use of VCDS from someone. What's the highest percentage I could go with the lights without having the possibility of them melting the plastic? What is the default percentage for your cars in USA? Also I see people driving around with them here and they are probably much brighter than 10%.