Back-Up Lighting---Kind of a FAIL!

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Has anyone else noticed the back-up lighting on these JSW's is worthless?

Yesterday in a dark area I couldn't see a thing as I backed up.......and yes, they're coming on.

Are there any mods or stronger bulbs that anyone knows of?

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I bought some high power halogen replacement bulbs for my last car. They work really well. When my last car died, I pulled the bulbs out and stuck them in the JSW.

http://www.amazon.com/Halogen-Style-Super-Bright-Back-Up/dp/B0007N207G

I agree, the JSW's back up lighting is marginal. These halogen bulbs definitely help, but I'd still say they are less than what my last car could do.

Just a warning: These bulbs are way overpowered for the application. They run hot, and the box even has a warning on them not to leave them on for long periods. I've never had a problem with them, but it is something to consider. I'm going to run them until I can figure out a good LED replacement.

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
Having only ONE clear lens out back doesn't help matters either. Check twice, reverse slowly, and be careful.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I bought some high power halogen replacement bulbs for my last car. They work really well. When my last car died, I pulled the bulbs out and stuck them in the JSW.

I agree, the JSW's back up lighting is marginal. These halogen bulbs definitely help, but I'd still say they are less than what my last car could do.

Just a warning: These bulbs are way overpowered for the application. They run hot, and the box even has a warning on them not to leave them on for long periods. I've never had a problem with them, but it is something to consider. I'm going to run them until I can figure out a good LED replacement.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to order a couple and change out the dim lights they put on these cars.

I actually asked my daughter the other day to get out of the car and look to see if the back-ups were even on.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Having only ONE clear lens out back doesn't help matters either. Check twice, reverse slowly, and be careful.
Exactly!.. Now I just have to figure out how to take t he lens housing off so I an put in the halogens StaceyS suggested.

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
You're kidding, right?

If you honestly feel these back-up lights do anything, then I need to bring my car into the dealer to see *** is going on.
No....they even are brighter than the Expedition we have, and they are huge. I guess I've always had crap reverse lights!

Donald

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I think some car companies think reversing lights are more "indicators" rather than lights you actually use to see with. (Letting other drivers know you are backing up, vs actually letting you see what you are backing up into)

For most suburban drivers, I think this is fine, since most reversing is done in parking lots and other lit areas. For those of us in more rural areas, backing up at night needs lights that actually light up where you're going.

My last car was an '85 Volvo 740 and the reversing lights were huge, with a proper reflector and decent lens. With the halogen bulbs, I had no problem lighting up to see. The JSW has probably 1/2 or 1/3 less light coming out, even with the same bulbs.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I think some car companies think reversing lights are more "indicators" rather than lights you actually use to see with. (Letting other drivers know you are backing up, vs actually letting you see what you are backing up into)

For most suburban drivers, I think this is fine, since most reversing is done in parking lots and other lit areas. For those of us in more rural areas, backing up at night needs lights that actually light up where you're going.

My last car was an '85 Volvo 740 and the reversing lights were huge, with a proper reflector and decent lens. With the halogen bulbs, I had no problem lighting up to see. The JSW has probably 1/2 or 1/3 less light coming out, even with the same bulbs.
Exactly. Although I do not live in a rural area, there are poorly lit parking lots where I can't see anything when backing. I mean, I can't even tell the back up lights have come on. :mad:

My MZB and Porsche throw out light almost like the headlights......that is a good thing. :)

koharatx

TDI
Golf TDI
If my backup lights don't illuminate anything when they come on, that just tells me there is nothing directly behind me... I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
If my backup lights don't illuminate anything when they come on, that just tells me there is nothing directly behind me... I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.
I agree with you and neither do I. But mine don't illuminate anything.....15 ft or closer. Heck, a lit candle would provide better lighting.

These BU lights are worthless. I'm going to change out the bulbs to halogens to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Feyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I saw someone who had put HIDs in their Mk5... waaaaay to bright, but I liked the thought. They are weak-sauce on my Golf too..

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I don't need to see 100 feet behind me to back up 15 feet.
Not so much needed for distance as being able to see stuff around and on the ground I'm about to back over. Its happened to me enough times over the years that I have found myself benefiting from brighter reversing lights: being on narrow dirt roads, construction sites, irregular and non-paved surfaces. I don't go looking for such circumstances, but such is my life and the operating conditions of my vehicle. (Our JSW is 11 months old and has a little over 10k miles on it. I'd estimate that it has about 200 miles of off road or non-paved surface miles on it.)
Also, as we enter the snowy season, being able to see areas of snow, and have enough light to be able to judge that snow (freshly fallen light snow you can drive through or a solidly packed clod of plow trash) is the difference between backing up without issue and maybe losing a mudflap or getting stuck.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
On my Jetta Sedan they are not very good either.

My Wife's Outback has really good reverse lights.
Last night as I was backing into a parking spot (yes, I back up), I knew there was a brick wall behind me.

I couldn't see it at all...and it was only a few feet away. :(

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
if it takes P21W bulb....

some alternatives:
3497 bulb
796 (35W) bulb
I've found the Sylvania Silverstars to be pretty good also (considering I have a single reverse bulb due to rear fog lamp)

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI

Have you found an LED replacement? That light would need a resistor, and I cannot find an LED for our cars with a built in resistor.

I did find this halogen, which they claim is 250% brighter than the standard:

http://www.autobarn.net/des20706.html

Last edited:

chris@revotechnik

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
12 JSW, 98 TJ cummins, bunch of gassers
Funny this thread was bumped, finally got my JSW back from the GF who has been driving it the past few weeks. This meant I was driving either the TJ or the mk4. I was leaving at 5am this morning for gym and turning around in my driveway my first thought was wow its good to be in a car with great reverse lights. I usually have the back window rolled up in my jeep and that still isn't as clear as the jsw is.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Funny this thread was bumped, finally got my JSW back from the GF who has been driving it the past few weeks. This meant I was driving either the TJ or the mk4. I was leaving at 5am this morning for gym and turning around in my driveway my first thought was wow its good to be in a car with great reverse lights. I usually have the back window rolled up in my jeep and that still isn't as clear as the jsw is.
Wanna trade cars? :)

chris@revotechnik

TDI
I just got it back maybe in a few weeks :)...

this does have me curious though if there is a difference beyond just user perception, like different bulbs depending on time of build or something up with wiring? Is there any coding changes for reverse light brightness/voltage?

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
I just got it back maybe in a few weeks :)...

this does have me curious though if there is a difference beyond just user perception, like different bulbs depending on time of build or something up with wiring? Is there any coding changes for reverse light brightness/voltage?
Not really sure. I know mine are really dark. I mean, I can't see a thing without opening my door and hanging my head outside....then barely.

I think our bulbs are 5W. I'm looking at the 50W halogens, but am not sure if these will ruin the electrical.

chris@revotechnik

TDI
Mines definitely glowing a full 21 watt.

The top one is reverse and for reference the middle one is the parking light just on, so probably glowing at about what would be a 5-10watt bulb.

I don't think I would run a 50watt halogen in that bulb holder or trust that the CECM could handle the load. Wiring should be fine for short term use.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI
Mines definitely glowing a full 21 watt.

The top one is reverse and for reference the middle one is the parking light just on, so probably glowing at about what would be a 5-10watt bulb.

I don't think I would run a 50watt halogen in that bulb holder or trust that the CECM could handle the load. Wiring should be fine for short term use.
That is cool. I wonder if only my 5w is coming on. I'm going to have to take a closer look.

StaceyS

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Have you found an LED replacement? That light would need a resistor, and I cannot find an LED for our cars with a built in resistor.

I did find this halogen, which they claim is 250% brighter than the standard:

http://www.autobarn.net/des20706.html
This looks similar to the bulbs I have. The ones I bought have a ceramic base between the glass bulb and the metal socket base. I think this serves to insulate the bulb holder from the heat generated from this bulb. Again, these are way overpowered, so a bit of caution is warranted with these. Given this cautionary note, I've had these bulbs in operation for at least 5 years now without any trouble, and they've been in our JSW for almost a year.

I have not found an LED replacement I like yet. I have found LED replacement bulbs which are simply an array of LEDs with the suitable bulb socket on them, but these are trying to mimic the light pattern of an incandescent bulb. I don't think they'd be very bright, as the reverse light's reflector is poorly designed.

My goal is to find//build an LED array which can fit the lens area and project the LED light out where I want it without using the reflector in the housing. Think of it as hacking some of the aftermarket LED DRLs to fit into the lens area of the reverse lights. As for the resistor, I've found resistors which can be wired into the circuit for this sort of application, its just another detail I haven't focused on. My first goal is finding the right way to project the light. Once I figure that out, I'll solve the issues of making that light work.

Dariof

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI

LandCruiser

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Mazda Miata
Since they are LED, do you find they give you some sort of error message...in other words, I think the voltage is much lower with the LED, so without a resistor, they should give you some sort of voltage warning....as if the bulb is burnt out.
Wish I could tell you but I use these in my 15 year old Toyota where the only warning light is the CEL. I honestly never worried much about my JSW backup lights.