Just purchased 2014 Jetta TDI.. What's first?

New2TDIzzz

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6speed
Hi all, new to this forum. Just recently purchase a 6speed Jetta TDI. Just broke 20K miles. I'm just curious what mods/upgrades everyone is doing first. I'm reading a lot on Malone tuning or other Stage 2 tunes - Can anyone provide examples or are you just going to Malone's website and ordering from there? I'm also confused if people are replacing exhausts to help on-top of the tune. I've read a lot about the EGR delete. Is this through a tune or better to physically delete it? I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but can easily do basic stuff. Just looking for some help to gain HP, fuel mileage, and torque without digging too deep into things. Anyways, thanks in advance for the help and the add to the group!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
It's been mentioned here before, but keep in mind that if your car has been fixed prior to sale, modifications, including tuning, can void the emissions warranty. Since that warranty also includes the entire fuel system and turbo, you should think hard about giving it up before you start modifying the car. It's your choice, of course, but you should be aware that a failed DPF, EGR filter, turbo, HPFP, etc. replacements will be paid for by VW, unless they find the car is tuned or deleted. Then it's your money.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
^^^ This.

And as a newbie, maybe spend the time getting to know your car first, making sure you stay up to date on maintenance and such along the way. Read your owner's manual cover to cover, spend time here reading the wealth of information available.

Maybe after a couple of years you'll be better prepared to look at performance upgrades, but as one who has been in your shoes before I'd suggest to give it some time.

All the best.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Along with all of that it also seems NY requires safety and emissions testing, which you will fail if devices are deleted, it seems. Looking online it shows they do an OBDII check as well as a visual check for these items:

Catalytic converter (CAT)
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR)
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV)
Air injection system (AIS)
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP)
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR)
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC)

As already stated you need to do some reading and learning before touching your car for any mods. You could cost yourself big time! Once you have done that a simple tune might be your best bet if you think you can pass with that. Getting your car in excellent shape first is always the first thing when doing any mods.

New2TDIzzz

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6speed
Thanks for the replies.. That's all good stuff to know seeing how I bought an extended warranty for pretty much everything on it - probably going to wait awhile or at least until that runs out. However, with the tuners that delete the codes.. Can't I just reset them to default with the tuner? I know NY has some ridiculous emissions standards that need to be in line to be inspected and kept on the road, but if I 'delete' the EGR (or whatever other emission codes), then set it back for inspection, that should pass without a problem if that's how it works?

I mainly wanted to increase my mileage as I drive over 5k miles a month. And I saw a lot of people 'tuning' theirs to get better performance as well as mileage. I don't want to do anything huge, just enough to cut more cost; maybe gain some performance along the way

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Between emissions inspection and warranty You should just leave it alone. You probably don't want to delete EGR anyway on these cars. With ULSD there is little reason to do this. IIRC the only people I have heard that are getting noticeably better mileage are those who deleted the whole emissions system, so that regens no longer occur. You will not pass inspection if you do that and you will void your warranties. When you delete stuff just swapping tunes back and forth isn't as straight forward as you make it sound. There are issues doing that as well. VW will be able to tell if you have tuned no matter what you do. Besides the cost to do what you want will pretty much negate any savings you get from greater fuel economy.

Last edited:

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
VW can tell how many times the computer has been flashed, every time you flash a tune to it or return it to stock you add another number to the flash counter. When VW checks this counter (and they will if they have to fix your car on their dime) they will compare it to your cars service history, and if there are more flashes than are accounted for on the service history you will be on the hook for the needed repairs and any future repairs as your vin will be flagged.

Leave it stock until your warranties are gone. If you drive 5k miles a month it wont take long. Enjoy the car in stock form, make a plan and buy all the parts you need in the meantime then when you are out of warranty execute your plan and fall in love with your car all over again. If you follow the maintenance schedule there will be plenty of life left in the car to enjoy tuned. Patience is a virtue (and it will save you money in the long run)

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you delete though, the state emissions inspection will be your hardest test to pass. This goes on forever regardless of warranties.

New2TDIzzz

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6speed
Great, thanks for the info guys! So nice having a forum like this so I don't do anything stupid. I appreciate the quick responses and helpful info!!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I'd leave it alone, and instead concentrate on some rust prevention before the NY winters get a hold of it. There may still be time.

Take the fender liners out and clean/treat underneath them.

srlbotanical

TDI
2011 JSW TDI Platinum Gray/Black Manual, Stage 2, Deleted
Tint, so your not in a fish bowl...

A good set of snow tires...

Enjoy it!