Is a transmission service and flush recommened for V.W. Jetta?

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
Hey, guys
lately, my transmission has been acting weird, its shifting weird mostly after 60km where it would rev high then sudenly drop down while i am acclerating while I am driving going past 60km/h to almost 89km/h. Plus When I am going uphill the car starts reving slightly by itself (sometimes), lets from 1500rpm to 1800-2000rpm. So, What I am thinking about is getting a transmission service/flush at Active Green + Ross done, they say they use the same specfication as volkswagen recommends, is it a good idea to get it done? Also I am going to a get a oil change and filter done there too with oil 5w40 full synthetic. :) The car is a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI with Automatic Transmission with 185,000km.

Last edited:

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
I am not all excited about the "Flush" idea on any car. Far too often it is used as a wallet flush when there is no need for anything.

That said, I would go for a fluid and filter change. This should get anything now in the filter cleaned out and bring the overall quality of the fluid up. If that works, I might even consider a flush, if I really trusted the guys selling it. That should bring the fluid to like new standards.

In any case you want to make sure you are getting the fluid specified by VW. Also remember that you are now having problems. Fluids are not always the cause of transmission problems and new fluid can not fix mechanical issues. Often fluid is changed or flushed and the transmission fails shortly after. This is NOT the result of the transmission service, but rather it is the fact that the transmission was already good as dead and the transfusion could not change that.

VOLKSWAGEN_JETTA_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Volkswagen Jetta TDI , 2006 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI, 2002 VW GTI 1.8T
I don't to look at that OilHammer :eek: to scared ! I love this car to death, but now I am kicking myself for not buying a BMW. I will get the the fluid change done and hope all is well. I hope I don't have a transmission problem, one time my dad had a few problems with our spare car Subaru Loyal, we took it in for a check up from a transmission expert and the they found out no tranny fluid and after that the car ran good. I just hope worst comes to wrost I have the same problem.