DSG in reverse

nate68178

TDI
2015 Passat SEL 2003 New Beetle 5sp 2003 Jetta 5sp 2001 Golf 5sp
Ok.....first DSG....my driveway is at a slight incline to get into my garage. When I back into my garage it seems like the transmission is slipping pretty bad to get my car up the hill, is this normal?? I don't want to cause premature clutch failure in the DSG, but I also like just hopping in, and being able to go wothout having to back out, something I learned in the Army years ago. Also anyone else experience a clunk, when getting back into it after coasting?? Just curious....thanks for the replies.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
Do you know just how steep your driveway is? Mine is about 9 degrees of incline, and it seems my DSG slips just going up that to begin with. I've backed into the garage before with my previous car with 5MT, and it didn't feel like that was a great thing either. I also had to slip the clutch some to slow down and get into the garage properly, as it also has a slight incline (less than 1 degree).

As for your DSG clunk, are you slipping it into neutral and back into drive or are you talking about coasting then hitting the accelerator?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
"DSG in reverse" = MISERABLE. Mine were 2009, 2012 and 2014, and refinements did occur.
Initial clutch slippage seems extreme, but when engaged (at more than a creeping speed!), feels quite solid. It's like a teenager learning how NOT to stall.
I would recommend avoiding the situtation if possible.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
You will want to avoid doing that, after watching mine get valet parked on a steep Seattle street with the guy slowing trying to back up a 20% grade I sent the next oil sample to Blackstone and it came back with high fiber and iron :eek:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I recall parallel parking, nose down: the clutch(es) are slipping constantly. It's almost impossible to modulate fuel/brake under those conditions. Once the reverse gear is actually engaged (maybe 3-5 mph?), it's almost normal.

nate68178

TDI
goodmonkey.......I don't take it out of gear it seems like the clutches disengage, or maybe it's searching for a gear as I get back into it as I approach a hill. The clunk almost sounds like a bad motor mount, or like when you have bad U joints in a truck.....Car only has 15k, so I doubt the mounts are shot....maybe I'm just knit picking

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
I cannot say that I have experienced that. I've heard Passat DSGs can freewheel, but I've only experienced it once when going down hill at about 16 mph. That was within the first couple of days with my '14, can't recall ever noticing it with my others when I had them.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
mine doesn't, the RPM stays consistent with vehicle speed

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
There is another thread here about the DSG in reverse that has more details. But the short answer is - when the DSG is in reverse the accelerator pedal acts like a clutch more than anything. The more you press the accelerator the faster it goes and the more the clutch locks up and smothers out the process. My recommendation is to try and go a little faster and you will have better success.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It's like a teenager learning how NOT to stall.
I would recommend avoiding the {backing uphill} situation if possible.
2x The DSG isn't helped by having a rather tall reverse gear... it's nearly as tall as 2nd :confused:

Trying to go faster does make things a bit "smoother", but of course when you're trying to back uphill, into a tight spot, mashing the pedal is the last thing you want to do... I've found that simply letting the car try to creep gives better results, sometimes adding just a tiny bit of throttle. Yes, that's slipping the clutch a ton. Yes, I think that's better than lurching into a wall or someone else's car.

-J

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Why back into the garage?

Sounds like in needed wear and tear. Slipping of the clutch packs is the only major wear the DSG sees.

BTW the "free wheel" of the Passats will still keep RPM the same, but it doesn't cause any drag or losses of previous DSGs.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Backing into a tight space is easier than pulling in forward, you can turn more sharply.

AFAIK the Passats didn't get the freehweel feature, despite what the SSP stated.

-J

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I agree with compu 85, but backing into any spot is better because when you leave you just drive out!

As for the DSG, I back my car onto my driveway which is on a slope and I experience absolutely no negative actions.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
Backing into a spot often allows for quick response. I've heard it called ready for attack or attack position ready. It is just something we can pick up and practice for the rest of our lives if we don't see an issue otherwise, like still folding my shirts into squares.

I don't back in at home because of the hill, otherwise I might do it too. I do often back in at work.

nate68178

TDI
Thanks for all the responses I have just been pulling in instead of backing in. as far as the clunk.....I'm not sure... I may have it looked at as I have about 18 days left on the bumper to bumper.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
anyone else notice the lack of performance in reverse? I never have until this morning when a wrong way driver came at me. IF you need to quickly back up the DSG just wont do it, I stomped it to the floor in reverse and the car just sits there and slowly backs up, RPM doesn't even raise like a conventional automatic- the thing backs up slower floored than when at idle! :eek: Just a FYI for everyone who may need to quickly back up some day, the DSG is a huge let down!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I typically look for pull through spots in parking lots, I'll gladly walk the extra 30 feet. Is that something they only taught Marines to do?

I wish I could have the amount of time wasted waiting for the F250/2500's backing into the closest parking spot while checking their mirrors only to realize the spots to tight for them to squeeze into.

I'll still gladly idle out of my garage spot and coast to my turn around spot than heat up the clutch packs backing into the spot when I return home.

As for wear, I'd just stick to the 40K DSG service and you'll prob never notice any issues, I believe 40K is pretty conservative for fluid changes.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jrm: I'm surprised you hadn't noticed until now that the DSG DOES NOT LIKE BEING FLOORED from a standstill. Period. In D or R. It will slip..slip...slip...There are hundreds of posts recommending "rolling into" the throttle as the best way to get quick(er) response.
That's...just...the...way...it...is...;)

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I typically look for pull through spots in parking lots, I'll gladly walk the extra 30 feet. Is that something they only taught Marines to do?

You wouldn't believe how many people I have seen who will get to a "Pull Through" parking spot and instead of driving through will stop their front bumper on the white line separating the two spots.:eek: DUH????

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
one guy who had 2013 Passat TDI was driving into an parking lot and didn't let it fully stop and went into reverse, it shuddered hard then reversed into parking lot space. Later on, he went to reverse again, it felt like its missing tooth or something. I gave him an earful lecture not ever do that again. He traded it in for an 2015 Passat TDI, he definitely learned his lesson. I told him our trans arent designed to do that as its really small transmission with tons of gears and clutches etc.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
You wouldn't believe how many people I have seen who will get to a "Pull Through" parking spot and instead of driving through will stop their front bumper on the white line separating the two spots.:eek: DUH????
It's not DUH if you need to access the trunk, e.g. you're doing the grocery shopping. Don't paint all drivers with one brush!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
one guy who had 2013 Passat TDI was driving into an parking lot and didn't let it fully stop and went into reverse, it shuddered hard then reversed into parking lot space. Later on, he went to reverse again, it felt like its missing tooth or something. I gave him an earful lecture not ever do that again. He traded it in for an 2015 Passat TDI, he definitely learned his lesson. I told him our trans arent designed to do that as its really small transmission with tons of gears and clutches etc.
I've done that on both my DSG diesels. Never had a problem. Mostly, it's backing down my steep driveway onto a steep street and rolling it from reverse to drive. No issues like you describe.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I've done that on both my DSG diesels. Never had a problem. Mostly, it's backing down my steep driveway onto a steep street and rolling it from reverse to drive. No issues like you describe.

Wow consider yourself lucky. He was not so lucky. It kept making noises after he did it only when he reverses it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
jrm: I'm surprised you hadn't noticed until now that the DSG DOES NOT LIKE BEING FLOORED from a standstill. Period. In D or R. It will slip..slip...slip...There are hundreds of posts recommending "rolling into" the throttle as the best way to get quick(er) response.
That's...just...the...way...it...is...;)
its much worse in reverse, and much worse with the fix software as well- granted it was a panic GTF out of this persons way- skidding to a stop on gravel and stomp to the floor in reverse. but yeah, just releasing the brake at idle and letting the computer roll out the clutch is quite effective.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
That would only be if someone goes bumper to bumper, so DUH?
Maybe I misunderstood your comment - it sounded like you were casting aspersions on all drivers who don't pull through. I rarely back into a spot or pull through because I often use the trunk. To each his own! :)

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
haha, yeah- each there own, plus add in the fact that a lot of retail stores will watch you like a hawk if you back in as thieves will back in for a quick getaway! At my job, we put our greeter on watch duty whenever people back in after loosing 10+ I phone X's to dudes who would just grab them and run. that's $12K in losses in under a minute!