Santa Fe Passat Wagons???

TDiMac

Just got back from our inaugural voyage to Sante Fe, NM using our newly acquired '01 Passat Wagon and have a general observation/question.

I've owned 5 VW's (3 current/2past), so I may be a little biased but I saw so many Subaru Outbacks/Forresters in Sante Fe that it seemed like they had given those ugly things away for free. They were all over the place! I saw maybe 3 other Passat Wagons.

Now, I understand that given the climate there is a need for AWD but the do the people of Santa Fe not know that the Passat Wagons also have 4-Motion? Not to mention the looks and drive of the Passat Wagon. Being the creative/eccentric/artsy cultural city that Santa Fe is I just found this observation peculiar.

I checked Edmunds and the prices for the Sub's vs. the Passat wagons are about the same.

So what gives? Any Santa Fe-ians out there to add a comment?

tdibugman

Veteran Member
Originally posted by TDiMac:
Being the creative/eccentric/artsy cultural city that Santa Fe is I just found this observation peculiar.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I think you answered it yourself. Subies have always been a little off to the side, ya know? After owning seven before the VW conversion, every time you mentioned you had a Subie to someone, all you got was a nod, and then the subject changed.
They are all over the Northeast, too - Maine, VT, NH.
It might also be that wannabe SUV look they have, too.