Repaired leaking tandem pump

rhynoscw

TDI
2000 jetta TDI, 2005 passatTDI (x 2), 94 6.5 diesel Blazer, 2001 2500HD Duramax crew cab
Had the typical engine oil leak on my 05 passat. Thought it was the valve cover, but after taking valve cover off and inspecting it, I was fairly sure that it wasn't the problem. Finally found the leak by removing 90 degree elbow from intake to plastic rigid pipe, and taking a mirror and flashlight and inspecting tandem pump with engine idling. Could see oil seeping from between the sections of the tandem pump. I removed the pump and tore it apart. After contacting the dealer and learning that there are no parts available for the pump, except for the metal gasket where it mounts to the head, I decided to try to repair it. I just took a VERY LIGHT film of black silicone to all the surfaces (they had o-ring's and/or square sided packings sealing them), and also to both sides of the mounting gasket. There are passage holes in the pump and the mounting gasket, so I only put a very thin film of RTV on the surfaces, so I wouldn't plug them off. I reassembled pump and installed and so far no leaks. Beats $300 or whatever the tandem pump costs.

Pinknoise

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Passat 130 TDI Sport 4 Motion
Hi guys,

The tandem pump in the UK is £281+ trade from TPS.

I also fixed mine last weekend with gasket paste, it was leaking diesel down the block.

...but, turns out that when they go like that they are usually done anyway. VAC power was down 50%. Best to test with a VAC gauage before removing, should pull -1 Bar instantly.

On a longitudinal mount B5.5 or similar car, they are tricky to get to. Best to check everything before removing.

ekkoh99

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat WGN TDI
I remember the tandem pump leaking. Maybe the gasket blew and then it leaked on the coolant flange or maybe it was the other way around. either way, the mechanic says it is a pain in the but to work behind the engine.

Pinknoise

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Passat 130 TDI Sport 4 Motion
Totally, I had mine out three times then discovered the vac problem and
had to end up fitting a new one anyway.

Dont know about the golf/transverse engines, but on the Passats it leaks diesel over a water pipe, which deforms and eventually bursts. Most people don't realise they have a diesel leak until coolant is pouring out.

It was only I took my car to get mapped and after we didn't get the expected results we checked the vac pump.

Last edited:

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Rynoscw,
How about an update? did the repair hold for a couple of years? Mine is leaking pretty good, but I think its motor oil? not diesel? Anyways. I figured I would check in before I pull it off. Let me know!
Thanks,

Montezuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI,2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1981 Caddy diesel, 1981 dasher Diesel, 1986 quantum td, 1992 d250 Cummins, 1995 2500 Cummins, 1986 dodge d50 td.
In the safety section, it says that the fuel pumps were recalled because of potential cause of fire. My passat is new to me and I have not checked to see if this is applicable to me, but the fact yours is leaking makes it seem like it is applicable to you.

Montezuma

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon TDI,2005 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1981 Caddy diesel, 1981 dasher Diesel, 1986 quantum td, 1992 d250 Cummins, 1995 2500 Cummins, 1986 dodge d50 td.
Then again, I maybe mistaken on the recall, as I find no mention of it besides this article. I did notice that there are quite of few threads on leaking gaskets and replacements, but no recall. Can anyone rectify my confusion?(is that even possible?)

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Anyone know the best place to buy one of these vac pumps? How about a part number? While I have the transmission out, I'm also thinking of replacing the coolant elbow back there. Anyone know the partnumber for that one?
Thanks in advance!

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Sweet! thanks for the info!

While I have the transmission out I'm also looking to replace the coolant elbow that is back there and that has a tenancy to become brittle and crack over time. I'm currently searching for that part number too. If I'm not a dealer/vendor, how does an enthusiast like me find the part numbers? So many of the users on here seem to be able to find the part numbers easily and its always a struggle for me. Do I need to buy some dealer maintenance book/software?

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
Sweet! thanks for the info!

While I have the transmission out I'm also looking to replace the coolant elbow that is back there and that has a tenancy to become brittle and crack over time. I'm currently searching for that part number too. If I'm not a dealer/vendor, how does an enthusiast like me find the part numbers? So many of the users on here seem to be able to find the part numbers easily and its always a struggle for me. Do I need to buy some dealer maintenance book/software?
Google is your friend. And you can look the part up on ID Parts or Bora Parts or ECS Tuning. They all have part numbers.

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
SAWEET! Now how do you find the parts? You have your own dealer part lookup software? last partnumber today, I promise! When I did my BSM update to the direct drive, i replaced my axles with VW units. I'm now swapping to a manual tranny, and I got a parts car, but both of those axles from the donor car are the cheap chinese alloy ones. Do you know the part numbers for the longer manual axles?

I looked at your uswer profile hoping to find a website so I could order the parts from you and didn't see one listed other than malone Tuning .

mountain-valleymotors

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2013 Passat TDI
SAWEET! Now how do you find the parts? You have your own dealer part lookup software? last partnumber today, I promise! When I did my BSM update to the direct drive, i replaced my axles with VW units. I'm now swapping to a manual tranny, and I got a parts car, but both of those axles from the donor car are the cheap chinese alloy ones. Do you know the part numbers for the longer manual axles?
I looked at your uswer profile hoping to find a website so I could order the parts from you and didn't see one listed other than malone Tuning .
I can sell parts but that is not our main business. www.mountain-valleymotors.com is our website.
Now you have to get a little bit creative for the part number search for the axles. You see nobody is going to have a listing for manual trans axles for a Passat TDI because they were never sold that way in the US. So what you have to do is look up axles for a 1.8t passat with manual transmission which are the same as the ones for a TDI with a manual transmission. (Of course to find out that information you just need to search this forum). Once you know all that, then you just go to World Impex or any other vendor and put in the correct vehicle and select axles. You will get this page for the right hand axle
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-driveshaft_236820.html
8D0-407-452-LX - Right side
And for some reason World Impex doesn't have a left axle in their search menu but if you know VW parts numbering you know that the right side ends with an even number and the left side with odd. So you just replace the 452 with a 451 and do a search for that part number in the search box.
8D0-407-451-LX - Left side
And that gets you to this page
http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-driveshaft-left-front-5spd-mtrans_236819.html
How is that for a tutorial?

rocketboy52

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat TDI
Great Tutorial!

When you seach this forum, do you use Google, or do you use the "Search this Forum" tool. I've had limited success using the "search this forum" tool I end up reading for an hour before I find the specific info I'm looking for.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
Dusting off an older thread rather than starting a new one, but I've had a leaky tandem pump gasket for quite awhile and now the coolant is leaking so I can no longer put this off.

From another thread, looks like in addition to G12 I will need to order the following:

1. Tandem pump gasket PN 038145215
2. Coolant flange PN 038121132D
3. Coolant flange o-ring - is this typically included with the coolant flange? If not, part number?
4. Coolant temp sensor PN 059919501A
5. Temp sensor retaining clip PN 032121142
6. Temp sensor o-ring seal PN N90316802

Question: is this one of those things need to stick with OEM or is it okay to go after-market with makers like Rein (temp sensor) and Vaico or Beck/Arnley (coolant flange)? The coolant flange is $10-$15 after-market and upwards of $60 for OEM dealership. Similarly, the temp sensor is $9 (Rein) after-market and $38 OEM.

I don't want to cheap out on such a big job, but sometimes after-market is just as good or sometimes even better than OE, so just thought I'd ask the good folks here.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The flange comes with an o-ring.

I use Elth brand CTS, they come with an o-ring, that is who makes them for VAG, and they seem to work just fine and are $5.

You will not need to replace the clip unless you drop it or break it. However, if you are doing the flange, you can just R&R the clip on the bench.

You may find the hose assembly going to the flange is bad, too. It is part of the pair that goes to the oil cooler.

There is also another small coolant vent hose that goes to a nipple on the head, and wraps around (the one that goes past the fuel filter and blocks access to #4 glow plug).

Non OEM flanges are crap. Even on engines that are easy to get at, I never use them. Just had too many leak.

Ball ended Allen bits work best for the tandem pump bolts. I would get new bolts just in case, as they can easily get rounded out, especially the two smaller ones.

Get a throttle flap o-ring, too. As this job is easier if you remove that. May as well get the charge air tube seal too.