Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

lars_tdi

TDI
Jetta wagon, 2005, silver
okay, now that i just realized that vw has modified the tb replacement from 100,000 to 80,000 and i have over 86,000, i'm trying to figure out where to get the belt replaced. i've read good things about hevster1 and metal man but neither appear on the map and the post dates were fairly dated. i live north of philadelphia and could use some help with any current recommendations.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
TDIJetta99 in NY, Hevster1 in NJ, TDIRacing in MD, pick one, all are good.

wfg97079

Veteran Member
TDI
for the first time in 17 years, none
Another plug for Keith Harley at KMH Motors in North Chelmsford, MA. He's on the list of trusted mechanics and did some work for me recently. He was reliable, quick, thorough and a great guy.

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
Regardless of how that story turns out, Streetwerke does not seem to be a TDI-oriented shop.

www.streetwerke.com
Yes, it seems that streetwerke should have been removed from the trusted list back in 2008 according to post #572 in this thread. (Also try using the 'Search this Thread' function to find more.)

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
That is why people need to do their due dilligence and search.

The list is a recomended list from someones experience.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Hey, Jason... the corner garage did a great job checking the air pressure in my sister-in-law's tires... Do you think she should go there to have her timing belt changed???

Yuri

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Updated Ray_G's phone number on the map. Private message request.

Last edited:

69x11

TDI
03 nb
statesboro, ga area

anybody had good luck with Billy's Imports or Univeristy Imports in Statesboro? Im looking for a reliable shop that can do a TB on a 03 NB. thx scott

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
anybody had good luck with Billy's Imports or Univeristy Imports in Statesboro? Im looking for a reliable shop that can do a TB on a 03 NB. thx scott
Statesboro appears to be about equidistant from Chapin SC, Atlanta, or Jacksonville. While there may be someone else who can do the job, I would strongly recommend that you travel however far you must, to have the job done properly by a TDI expert. You will be glad you did.

Going with a local mechanic who doesn't have the special tools or the experience is rarely a good idea. Also, you should review the contents of a deluxe timing belt kit and make sure everything gets replaced. Either obtain the kit yourself or be very particular when you discuss this with your mechanic.

A typical deluxe kit, this one by Dieselgeek.com: Litens tensioner, INA rollers, waterpump with metal and not plastic impeller, complete set of replacement bolts, etc.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Hey, Jason... the corner garage did a great job checking the air pressure in my sister-in-law's tires... Do you think she should go there to have her timing belt changed???

Yuri
I'd like to share the following experiences in case anyone suggests the following shops be added to the list:

Colonial VW of Westborough, MA -
used lock down tools for a timing belt job. They did tension the timing belt tensioner in the wrong direction though (on both jobs). Recently, on a timing belt job done around 10,000 miles ago they did not replace a hemhorraging crank seal. The belt is now coated in oil. Upon removing the camshaft sprocket bolt WAY overtorqued, threads from the camshaft came out. Re-used engine mount bolts. To the customers who went to this dealerships, the timing belt had been done "properly" and the dealership did "quality" work - up until they saw it with their own eyes.

Engines by Benz of East Providence, Rhode Island
Have receipts from a car I purchased. Customer racked up over $3,000 of work that was either not performed, or not necessary - all in a 3 month period. This car had experienced a engine run-away/overspeed - they put new injector bodies from VW on to the tune of over $800 - ON an engine with bent rods to solve the problem.

Scott Volkswagen or East Providence, Rhode Island
Told a customer they needed a new turbo. Customer had a faulty N75.

DavidML

TDI
Golf, 2001, Red
Colonial VW of Westborough, MA -
I bought my Golf there new back in 2001. Used to let them do the oil changes until I got my car back with a oily thumbprint on my a pillar.

Guess I owe them, it was their inattention to my car that started me doing my own maintenance, but I agree, stay away from their service department.

-D...

Boggie105

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GL (196K miles)
Can anyone recommend a Body Shop near Cincinnati, OH? I have some rust on the front right quarter panel and need a new bumper....

6x6man

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 1999.5 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Jetta Wagon, and too many others I've lost count
FYI: This thread is meant more for TDI specific mechanical shops, than general VW/import repairs. But to answer your questions anyway:

If you're talking about rust on the front fenders, see these threads:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=158465&page=8
and
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=215941&page=2
and
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a4/fender-rust-VW-TDI-repair.htm

Fortunately/unfortunately, you will have to take it to a VW dealer if you want it covered under warranty.

As for the front bumper cover, you can try:
http://www.certifit.com/ for cheap aftermarket replacement panels (warning, they don't take returns so inspect parts before you pay for them. Some people call them 'Sort-a-Fit' because some of their parts don't fit exactly like OEM. A4 front bumper cover is ~$40 in my area.)

Or you could try and search http://car-part.com/ and see if you can get lucky finding used OEM panels near by in the correct color already.

Boggie105

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GL (196K miles)
Thanks for the information 6x6man - I didn't even think about it being under warranty. I'll try to post in a better location in the future!

chrisjs

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI (sold in 2011)
good experience with Hevster1

Just wanted to give a quick thumbs up for Hevster1 in Colombia, NJ who is already on the list.

I stopped by his place this morning for a vacuum seal replacement. It's a fairly simple job and he finished it quickly. Nice guy to chat with.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone know a reputable TDI mechanic around Frederick, Maryland?
Nothing closer than an hour, I'm afraid...

If you want a dealer, Martens VW in Bethesda has gotten good reviews...

(UserID "TdiRacing" in Baltimore is superb... http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=16069

A bit further away is UserID "Car 54" in Woodbridge, VA http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=3506 - although I'm not sure if he's working on cars these days...

Lastly, even further away is UserID "Ninedee_golf_tdi" in Stafford, VA http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=14402

All the best,

Yuri

Last edited:

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
i have to give a negative review of speedsporttuning in danbury ct, they used to be farmbacher lolles. i had originally "nominated" them (F-L) for this list, but no longer.
i had tham do an alignment. they snapped 2 of the strut bolts-hey it happens. but i get a BS story how they weren't automotive bolts and had the wrong temper. these were original VW bolts. then they charge 2hrs to replace them!
about 2 weeks later i hear a clunk, and the steering wheel shifts, now every time i hit a bump the alignment/wheel shifts. i bring the car back to them to have the alignment checked and the bolts retightened. the mechanic agrees with me that you can see the DS wheel is cambered in.
they call me up and say the rear bushings are gone--granted it's true but how does that change the camber of the front wheels? and they never bothered to recheck the alignment.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi All,
Autoworks on Dryden Rd/rt 366 in Ithaca is great. They just changed
the timing belt, cleaned intake manifold, replaced hoses and replaced the sunroof.
I was even able to supply my own parts which saved me the big $$$! :D
I've been to the dealers in Syracuse and Select Eurocars in Waterloo but never again. My car is running like new and all I want to do is drive it like I stole it.:cool:
If you are in the Ithaca area go to Autoworks.
Since you supplied your own parts, then you know everything was changed that needed to be changed (I hope).

But did they use the right tools? Did they have the specific tools to lock the camshaft in place? Or did they use the mark-and-pray method?

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
But did they use the right tools? Did they have the specific tools to lock the camshaft in place? Or did they use the mark-and-pray method?
It would be nice if Ganicker could remove the timing belt cover and take a look for paint marks...

Garnicker: you may have noticed that recommendations from people whose categorization here is "Newbie" is often treated with a bit of skepticism...

BTW: in Syracuse, Ed Karpinski of the Marcellus St. Garage is highly recommended... (Your profile has you living in Syracuse...)

Yuri

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Would they have used all of the correct parts if you had not supplied your own?