jetta tdi power loss

digger305

TDI
2001 jetta tdi gls
2001 jetta tdi gls auto
My jetta was running good 120,000 miles when it lost power. I had pressure washed the engine that day. I could get up to 65 mph on the flat but it would slow to 45 in 2nd gear on a hill. The engine run smooth no miss. It showed a check engine lite. Took in into a vw dealer for repair. First told it was an air sensor but they changed it to the turbo waste gate and replaced it or a part that actavates the gate for $450. they test drove it and said it was fine. I drove it 3 miles and it seemed to work fine, then it started to lose power again and lost power as before. Now vw says it's the turbo and want $3000 for repacement. It doesn't sound like a turbo problem to me. Would a turbo have boost and act normal for 3 miles then loose boost? It seems like if the turbo is bad it would be bad all the time. They told me that the bearing could cause this kind of symptom. It sounds more like a fueling problem or a turbo controller. Has anyone had this problem before and what was the cause.:confused:

digger305

TDI
2001 jetta tdi gls
I hope there is some out their that can help. Don't be shy. I would like not spend this money and fix the problem help?

moblemaster

TDI
Passat 96 Royal Blue
My experience

I had a sudden loss of power back in Dec 2004 at 110K and the problem
was the T-belt slipped. Besides loss of power it ran rough and would
restart after a tank fillup but once the engine was stone cold it would
not start at all.
I do not know if this is a minor slip but mine was a serious enough slip
that it easy to diagnose.

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Where in Cali are you located?

Dealer........new turbo!! :cool: Gee, I've never heard of that before. ;)

Hold onto your wallet tightly and run away from the dealer.

digger305

TDI
2001 jetta tdi gls
tdi power loss

The VW dealer is in salinas and I didn't let them at it. I asked if they installed the turbo would the guarantee that this would fix the problem. As for the timing belt the engine runs very smoth just a loss of power like low boost or poor fueling. When I picked it up today it has run like nothing is wrong but that was just at city speeds. After at 5miles on the freeway is when the symptoms begin.:confused: :confused:

potatowedge

TDI
2001 jetta
this is really strange, my 2001 jetta just started doing this same thing. Exactly the same symptom. I'd love to hear some ideas here too.

-robb

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Please find someone with vag-com and get it scanned and run some logs. Before you throw parts at something, its nice to know what the problem is.

digger305

TDI
2001 jetta tdi gls
I don't have any answers yet but I plan on looking it over this weekend for loose wires or air sensor problems. I had just pressure washed the engine berfore this started. If it turns out to be the turbo does anyone know of a good parts source other than the dealer.

digger305

TDI
2001 jetta tdi gls
I think I need to replace the fuel filter but can't find location in the manuel. Can someone point me to it's location.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Hi digger,

You have an A4 Jetta, and you'll probably get more responses if you post your questions in that part of this site.

I recommend that you find a TDI expert (even if you have to drive a few hours) before spending any $ at the dealer--they love to throw new turbos in for $$$$, even if not necessary.

akmike

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 TDI naturally Jetta
Yes, find a TDI clubber with a vag-com and a lil mechanical knowledge. As mentioned before it's almost a standard scam at the dealership to say it needs a new turbo- nahh they want 3,000 in their till!! I also own a 2001 TDI Jetta auto gls, just got it back from the body shop after almost a year- good body work, but they put green coolant in it!! Guess the two Ferraris, Lambo, Rolls and 3 dozen MBs about were the only ones they actually read the coolant resovoir label and put the right stuff in.... Usu you'll get much better diagnostics with a vag-com and helpful clubber, there is a very good reason dealerships have been nick named "stealerships" round the club, a good one is almost like finding the holy grail....

FAB

I have just had a similar problem today. I was driving on the motorway at around 80mph when I heard a sudden hissing sound (as if something had popped loose) and the lost all power. The car won't start. Call roadside help. The guy couldn't fix it. He initially suggested that my fuel pump may have gone (the car started when he disconnected the air filter and sprayed into the connector as I turned the ignition) but then changed his mind as he could see the diesel oozing out when loosened the nuts at the end of the fuel leads. Anyways, I had the car towed to my house. His final verdit was that the 'CAT' may have gone but I don't know what he meant by that (EGR?, MAF?).

Richard55

Vendor
TDI
2000 NB
digger305
Have you checked the intake, it may be clogged. 120k is about right to be plugged up tight. also check the arm on the egr valve, it may be stuck shut.

Last edited:

darkerra

TDI
VW Jetta 2002
Clogged exhaust

I lost all power after 99K miles on my 02 TDI. We checked everything, filters, sensors,turbo, even Timing Belt. Finally, we took the Catalytic Converter off and it was clogged tight. There was only a little hole where exhause was escaping. since PA doesnt do Emission tests on TDI's, I knocked out the unit, and poof, Power was back with little more than a bit of smoke now. I dont know if this will help anyone, but just figured I would toss it out there. Peace

bio100tdi

TDI
Jetta & Beetle
Replaced Fuel Filter

My 108,000 mile 2003 Jetta TDI started stuttering slightly about 700 miles ago. The Check Engine light turned on. I have a generic OBD scanner. The Generic code P0252 came up, which corresponds to VW code 16636 (Injection Pump Range/Performance). The stuttering became worse. Whenever I accelerated hard uphill or if I went over 80 the car would start to stutter severely. It seemed to drive normally at lower speeds however (unless I accelerated very hard).

After doing some research I figured that there were 3 possible problems: 1. Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad ($150 easy replace part) :eek: . 2. Fuel Filter was clogged ($40 easy to replace fuel filter) :eek: . 3. Fuel Injection Pump was bad ($2000 Fuel Injection Pump replacement - fairly dificult job for a regular Joe) :eek: .

I replaced the Mass Air Flow Sensor first since I have read that they go out at around 110,000 miles. It cost me $150. I took the Jetta out for a spin and it was immediately clear that this did not resolve the issue.:confused: I next replaced the fuel filter, and took the Jetta out for a spin. It was immediately clear that THIS WAS THE PROBLEM:) . Problem solved.

By the way, I have been running 100% biodiesel for the last 18,000 miles. This has been the only problem that I have encountered. Not bad considering that I am saving about $2.25 per gallon.:D

I have actually been expecting the fuel filter to go bad since it is common knowledge among biodieselers that biodiesel tends to clean the fuel tank of accumulated petroleum based diesel deposits that clog the filter when they come off the sides of the fuel tank. I do not expect to have this problem going forward since my fuel tank is now presumably clean.

Peace out! DieselHeads of America Unite!!:cool:

Bill'sTDI

TDI
Jetta 2001
TDI Power Loss

If anyone's power loss involves no check engine light, and the loss suddenly disappears after the car is turned off then restarted, it's likely just a sticky waste gate on the turbo. Needs lubbed. After a few years the waste gate lever will get stuck in one position on occasions, then resets after you shut off the car and restart it. Just one possibility, but cheap to fix if that's what's wrong.

bheuchert

TDI
jetta 2000
Good to see someone from manitoba with solutions. I am not that far from Bill. I am having same problems with my 2000 jetta and am in the process of dumping it if I cannot fix it soon. I would love to get information on lubricating the wastegate. Bill are you in the vw repair business by chance if so send me an email. bradjoc@mts.net. thanks

Jimbobbie

TDI
02 jetta
I know it's super late that I'm responding to this but maybe it can help someone that reads it in the future.
I've had a similar problem, changed the Mas air flow sensor and it ran like a champ.