Add another BHW tesioner failure

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
98 TDI jetta, 05 passat wagon
To all you naysayers.... Come on! Another one.....

Finally had a chance to dig into my wife's passat to get down to actually inspect where that noise and vibration is coming from. As I dropped the pan the smaller chunk o bad design clunked into the pan. Its been this way for a while based on the wear.

118K miles on the car and it actually ran decent like this.

Listen to Oil hammer, Mo Golf, Runonbeer and the rest who do these or know about it.

VWOA set us up good.
http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/567/Photo0131.jpg

This is a heck of a fun job:mad:

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
Better to catch it now than 30 seconds after the chain breaks.;)
Thats for sure.

There is a reason why we have been avoiding using this car for any kind of distance away from home.

This thing is a glorified bike chain.....

will start reassembly tomorrow. So far so good.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
what a surprise, it broke right along the "perforation"
' cast into it.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
My wife wants to mail the parts back to VWOA with a note...

So we baked the gear this morning. My fluke temp probe only registered 350deg F although the oven was at 400+
Wish I had an infrared heat gun at home.

The gear went on no problem. It makes me a little nervous possibly heating a gear above 375 deg F.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
My wife wants to mail the parts back to VWOA with a note...

So we baked the gear this morning. My fluke temp probe only registered 350deg F although the oven was at 400+
Wish I had an infrared heat gun at home.

The gear went on no problem. It makes me a little nervous possibly heating a gear above 375 deg F.
Looks like you would have to get above 1154 degrees centigrade before anything happened to the gear's properties:

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
interesting.

when fitting gears and couplings on our equipment at work they normally recommend staying below 400deg F to not change any of the heat treatment properties.
Well its happily on and I'm working on fitting the new balance shaft now.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
interesting.

when fitting gears and couplings on our equipment at work they normally recommend staying below 400deg F to not change any of the heat treatment properties.
Well its happily on and I'm working on fitting the new balance shaft now.
Actually, at 1154 C it turns liquid. Depending on the way steel is hardened, and the carbon content, things can happen to lower temperatures. But in the low hundreds, not much can happen other than some coloring.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
Well shes a runnin!

I fired it up tonight. Its still on stands for other unrelated repairs but the engine runs great. Feels smoother to me but a real road test is in order soon.

I really took my time but it really was not that bad now that its all done.

This is NOT a job for a rookie shade tree mechanics. Only experienced shade tree mechanics ;)

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Well shes a runnin!

I fired it up tonight. Its still on stands for other unrelated repairs but the engine runs great. Feels smoother to me but a real road test is in order soon.

I really took my time but it really was not that bad now that its all done.

This is NOT a job for a rookie shade tree mechanics. Only experienced shade tree mechanics ;)
Great, nice job. Did you change out your motor mounts or were they not leaking?

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Actually, at 1154 C it turns liquid. Depending on the way steel is hardened, and the carbon content, things can happen to lower temperatures. But in the low hundreds, not much can happen other than some coloring.
IIRC the coating on the gear is the reason for the lower temp. or does the intermediate gear only have the coating? :confused:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
i used my forge and cones to raise the temp.less than two minutes was enough to melt the 350 degree cone and i had no bluing. gear is made of pressure cast steel.

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
Great, nice job. Did you change out your motor mounts or were they not leaking?
They were changed by the previous owner not too long ago so I made the assumption I would be ok.
Upon closer inspection one may be starting to leak a little. I will have to go back in later to swap them out:(

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
Remember to use the updated mounts when you do.;)
For sure.

test drive today. It went well. still some vibration at the stop lights but not too bad.

Next week it gets Koni's and new brakes all the way around.

This car is getting expensive :confused:

s4phillips

Veteran Member
Live in d/FW, TX. Transplanted from the Pacific
TDI
2002 Beetle, 2005 Passat Variant-DOA blunt force trama, 2014 Beetle-went home
Snip...This car is getting expensive :confused:
Face it, all cars are just plain expensive. A depreciating asset - an expense.

The money and time we all spend for a few minutes or hours each day for a little comfort, performance and/or piece of mind to move us from one place to another...

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
Face it, all cars are just plain expensive. A depreciating asset - an expense.

The money and time we all spend for a few minutes or hours each day for a little comfort, performance and/or piece of mind to move us from one place to another...
Yes they are. But out of the 3 cars and two trucks in our "fleet" this one takes the prize for most needy.

We are hoping it is just having a little midlife crisis and will get better soon;)

Grew

TDI
2006 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Glad to hear another one saved. I'm sure glad I did mine when I did! Thankfully, there were no chunks, pieces or even visible wear (81000km) but the noise difference afterwards was like night and day. I've had it for two years now and other than the BSM repair, it's been pretty much routine maintenance for me. At least we can save some labor $$ thanks to all the help from the gurus. Thanks again!!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes they are. But out of the 3 cars and two trucks in our "fleet" this one takes the prize for most needy.

We are hoping it is just having a little midlife crisis and will get better soon;)
I just found an oil leak (valve cover, I think). Plus, after the BS, new motor mounts, alternator pulley, new CV joints (OE axles), etc, I still have too much engine vibration. I will be looking at the camshaft this weekend if I get the new valve cover gasket in time to replace it. If the cam is bad, it could be the source of the rest of the vibration. Just what I need. :rolleyes:

I hope the trans don't go out as I am having a "slight" delay when it shifts between gears.

I am looking at BMWs for my mid-life crisis right now. Maybe a used, low mileage 330 ci convertible?

rallyruss

Veteran Member
TDI
sounds like your car suffers from about all the same issues as ours.

BMW 3 series has a turbo diesel :cool:

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
sounds like your car suffers from about all the same issues as ours.

BMW 3 series has a turbo diesel :cool:
No more diesels....

I had a 1980 GM diesel (long time ago) and should have quit there. If I have to put a camshaft/lifters and torque converter/transmission in this Passat, it will be the most money I have ever spent for repairs on any car I have owned (having driven it a total of 60K miles).

Last edited:

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the gm dealers used to tell owners of those 80's diesels to put gasoline in them occasionally to " clean them out" . vag- com measuring block 11 i think or one of the numbers close to 11 shows fueling for each cyl. one cyl on my car was way off from the others till the flash was done. i know you have a tune but its worth looking at the fueling at idle to see if its even. have you done a trans service including filter? the delay you mention, is it when selecting gears? or slight flair between shifts? camshaft probably is ok. you can verify. I sold Peugeot diesels starting in '74 and the gm diesels were mainly destroyed by poor service and ignorance. the BMW attitude was"the car was perfect when we gave it to you, but you, you moron, have broken it"

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
the gm dealers used to tell owners of those 80's diesels to put gasoline in them occasionally to " clean them out" .

From what I can remember, the dealer never told me anything except they "couldn't" fix the starting problem. I fed it HHO (kerosene) from time to time. The injection pump was the issue with mine. Plus it would not idle correctly (or stay running)

vag- com measuring block 11 i think or one of the numbers close to 11 shows fueling for each cyl. one cyl on my car was way off from the others till the flash was done. i know you have a tune but its worth looking at the fueling at idle to see if its even.

I'll check it this weekend when I replace the VC gasket.

have you done a trans service including filter?

Last service was at 56K when I did the BS/TB work. I have a new service kit in the garage to do the drain/filter replaceent/new gasket as soon as I have room. I just finished up the kid's Honda clutch install and the space is open so it will be soon.

the delay you mention, is it when selecting gears? or slight flair between shifts?

It's a slight flair between shifts, especially when I get on it a bit. I think it is getting worse (longer flair time interval).

camshaft probably is ok. you can verify.

I'll check it and shoot/post a few pics if it is becoming like the others have experienced here.

I sold Peugeot diesels starting in '74 and the gm diesels were mainly destroyed by poor service and ignorance.

I couldn't agree more!

the BMW attitude was"the car was perfect when we gave it to you, but you, you moron, have broken it"

I guess I haven't been punished enough yet. Maybe that is why I have this sudden interest in owning a used BMW. My brother-in-law has owned them for years and just won't be without his. Maybe he is lucky.
TS: I really do like the Passat but after 60,000 miles in it, I am a little disappointed in the issues that seem to pop up (BS, TC, GPs). Granted, it's not a Mercedes and didn't cost $60,000 like their CDI's do.

I drove 480 miles yesterday to a job site and back and the car is an absolute blast on the freeway, especially here in Texas where we can run along at a pretty good clip. I was running at 80 - 85 MPH on the long stretches and averaged 36 MPG for the trip. A couple of pops up over 100 MPH and the car doesn't even feel it.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll report back in here Monday or so.

Tony

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
the flair could be a pressure problem,slightly low fluid level, even can cause that. its not good for the friction or steel clutch plates as the flair is a partial engagement of the clutch and builds heat quickly. when you do the trans service use the oem gasket, not the crappy rubber one in aftermarket kits. the starting problems on the gm diesels below freezing were caused by gm using same fuel tank as gas ones. small pickup tube instead of a proper wide screen diesel type pickup. so....water, always present in diesel fuel, and more so in '80s would freeze in the gasser tank pickup tube and guess what....no start till you got it in a warm space. I called the gm regional office and told them i could fix their cold weather starting problem. they were all ears till i told them i expected to get paid, at that point they lost interest. they would have only had to change out fuel tanks, but instead they fiddled around and never figured it out. fook um where they fart...