Steve's '03 Newbie

stever

TDI
2003 Beetle
Hi,

Not particularly new to this forum - I posted up a question back in 2002 I think - got a very useful answer then promptly forgot my login details.

Anyway, I re-registered under this name, and here are some pics of my car.

When I got it, it was standard with 77k miles:

All it needed was a new leather gear lever gaiter.

Since then it's had regular servicing, new brakes - the usual stuff.

Back in August this year I bought a set of steel wheels and intended fitting old Beetle style hubcaps, but kinda changed my mind halfway through...

It took me a while to decide whether or not I liked them, but I love them now!

Last week I had a remap and it's gone from 100bhp to 135 - a VERY noticeable improvement but now the clutch is slipping. So I'll take it down to my workshop in the new year and fit a G60 flywheel and VR6 clutch.
I'm aware of the potential noise issues with an SMF, but if it's too bad I'll go back to a DMF :)

stever

TDI
2003 Beetle
The T4 in the background of the 1st pic is mine too, and I've also got a long term '69 Beetle project.

The T4 is undergoing a restoration at the moment and will be getting a TDi swap with an AHU engine going in.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Looks to be in great shape, stever, especially for a 2003. Mine is the same color scheme as yours :cool:

stever

TDI
2003 Beetle
Thanks.

I'd seen the pics of your car and I really like the look of it, especially the way you've painted the lower parts of the front and rear bumpers - I'm gonna steal that idea! :D

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Good looking Beetle! I have an 02 in the same color. (My favorite color by the way)

My odometer is at 258,000 miles as of today, so you have plenty of life left in yours!

stever

TDI
2003 Beetle
Not much to report in terms of changes to the beetle, but I did have my first try on the drag strip with it.

It was just rwyb, and I'd never been on a strip before, but my best run was 17.1 secs at 78mph.

Not exactly blistering, but I was quite pleased with that. :D

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Just wondering, have you done anything to the engine to make it faster at all?