CR140 Stage 3

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
Ok looking for inducer and exducer measurements on Cr170 vs Cr140 on exhaust side... wondering if I can just swap compressor housings from 170 to 140. Had an accident and broke exhaust housing on 170.
Please help.
New 170 housing $600+
140 housing $100 at junk yard without Vnt actuator.

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
permission to ask stage 3.5 questions?

1- I have the code P0544. I did have the #1 probe in the manifold. I have not scanned the car since I moved the probe POST turbo. any ideas behind this?

2- I have code P13D1. I have never had a glow plug issue before. could this be related to code above?

3- did you just tie up all of the plugs that are no longer used? specifically.. EGR valve, ASV, EGR cooler wires..

4- there is one line that comes off the EGR cooler and goes up to the passenger side of the engine compartment. what does this do? can I also remove that sensor?

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT (and several others in the past)
permission to ask stage 3.5 questions?
3- did you just tie up all of the plugs that are no longer used? specifically.. EGR valve, ASV, EGR cooler wires..
Did you have Malone tune all that out? I made the mistake of not explicitly requesting all of it be tuned out (HP-EGR, LP-EGR, ASV, DPF, etc) and I have a bunch of codes and lights, including glowplugs. Once I got the last of it deleted from the ECU (ASV was the culprit as I recall), it was all good and has been since :cool: . Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Use the google machine on #2

#1 you'll want to fix, easy to swap in one of the post turbo sensors(requires slight trimming of the sensor plug).

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
Did you have Malone tune all that out? I made the mistake of not explicitly requesting all of it be tuned out (HP-EGR, LP-EGR, ASV, DPF, etc) and I have a bunch of codes and lights, including glowplugs. Once I got the last of it deleted from the ECU (ASV was the culprit as I recall), it was all good and has been since :cool: . Good luck.

noted..

Use the google machine on #2

#1 you'll want to fix, easy to swap in one of the post turbo sensors(requires slight trimming of the sensor plug).
the google machine did not tell me that my old version of Malone's stage 2 sometimes would not throw codes for bad glow plugs / sensors. but now I know!

anyways.... what do EGT probes 2, 3 and 4 do? are you saying if I swap one of the other pprobes to the #1 spot I will be okay?

regardless.... new glow plug and probe on the way :cool:

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf 2dr. RCII, sprint 520s, shine susp
Are you guys that are going stage 3 removing the EGR cooler as well as the EGR? Is there a kit available?

Also, are you getting a "race pipe" for the intake eliminating the egr valve?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Are you guys that are going stage 3 removing the EGR cooler as well as the EGR? Is there a kit available?
Also, are you getting a "race pipe" for the intake eliminating the egr valve?
I think most of us are removing the egr cooler. If there was a "kit", it would consist of a barbed elbow and two hose clamps :). I got a race pipe that eliminates both the egr and asv.

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
I think most of us are removing the egr cooler. If there was a "kit", it would consist of a barbed elbow and two hose clamps :). I got a race pipe that eliminates both the egr and asv.
Oh, it's that easy! I didn't realize. Where did you get the race pipe? Does it give you a check engine light?

Where are you in Maine? I'd love to get a ride in a Stage 3 car. I am waiting for emissions fix to install mine.

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, it's that easy! I didn't realize. Where did you get the race pipe? Does it give you a check engine light?
I got mine from Les at German Diesel Motorwerks but can't go wrong with Aaron at Fixmyvw. Be sure to tell your tuner (Malone) exactly what you've deleted. I got check engine lights because I deleted my ASV and wasn't specific about it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got my race pipe from Les at GDM. If you want to retain the asv, fixmyvw.com has a race pipe that does that. I live about 20 minutes NE of Augusta. I'll pm you sometime I have a bit free time if you want to check out my car. I also have a cp3 hpfp.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I got mine from Les at German Diesel Motorwerks but can't go wrong with Aaron at Fixmyvw. Be sure to tell your tuner (Malone) exactly what you've deleted. I got check engine lights because I deleted my ASV and wasn't specific about it.

Great minds think alike! :D

Turbodude1

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my race pipe from Les at GDM. If you want to retain the asv, fixmyvw.com has a race pipe that does that. I live about 20 minutes NE of Augusta. I'll pm you sometime I have a bit free time if you want to check out my car. I also have a cp3 hpfp.

Yea definitely let me know. I am down in Lewiston. Do you know what size hose barb I should pick up for the EGR cooler delete?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's mentioned here in this thread somewhere. Maybe 3/8? Though undoubtedly the hose itself is some metric size. Fixmyvw has a delete kit that includes a couple block off plates and brass barbed coupling for $22.

Last edited:

evolDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sure would be nice to see dyno results, on the same car, same dyno, for:
1. Stock
2. Stage 2
3. Stage 3.5

I have the 1 & 2 done. Been holding off on #3 ever since dieselgate. Haven't decided what to do yet. If I keep it... 3.5 for sure.

Mach.81

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI CBEA
Interested to hear how the CCV line hooks back up to this new intake for the cr170?

The line looks like it my be different.

Also is anyone running catch cans on these CR motors?

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Sure would be nice to see dyno results, on the same car, same dyno, for:
1. Stock
2. Stage 2
3. Stage 3.5

I have the 1 & 2 done. Been holding off on #3 ever since dieselgate. Haven't decided what to do yet. If I keep it... 3.5 for sure.

Keep it! There's a ton of posts/treads/FB posts where they have buyback regret. Nothing else out there like it. (unless you're upgrading to a 2015 like I did from my 2011)

Care to share your dyno comparison?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Keep it! There's a ton of posts/treads/FB posts where they have buyback regret. Nothing else out there like it. (unless you're upgrading to a 2015 like I did from my 2011)

Care to share your dyno comparison?
Ha ha! I was reading it shaking my head like, "well I sure as $hit don't regret it" and then got to the end and laughed because I slid into a MY15 GSW and love it! :D Also, if I decide to do more than tune once my warranty is up, after 160k, then we'll have bolt on CR190 option and can even keep emissions equipment intact.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Also, if I decide to do more than tune once my warranty is up, after 160k, then we'll have bolt on CR190 option and can even keep emissions equipment intact.
And you'll hit the EGT limiter all day long, pulls power with a smooth but noticeable effort. Even without DPF, the stock turbo hits the limiter on a hot day and that's with the limit raised to the max allowable temp. A bit more effort, but the GTD1752vrk works and I just saw mention of a hybrid GTD1760vrk!

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
And you'll hit the EGT limiter all day long, pulls power with a smooth but noticeable effort. Even without DPF, the stock turbo hits the limiter on a hot day and that's with the limit raised to the max allowable temp. A bit more effort, but the GTD1752vrk works and I just saw mention of a hybrid GTD1760vrk!
Well, there is no free lunch so I'll let the tuners sort all that out, it'll be a few years until I hit 160 so until then, I'll keep thoroughly enjoying my wagen. I'm sure the CR190 or GTD setups will be fully flushed out by the time I decide to take any major steps. I'd have to imagine bouncing off to EGT limiter won't be something I'd deal with much anyway, I drive like a typical TDI owner 98% of the time but love to work on these things and the occasional blast down the on ramp to clear out the cobwebs. ?

Braindrill

TDI
Jetta TDI 2011 CR140
Is anyone driving the DMF stage 3 clutch kit from southbend you have the choice between 470 ft/lb daily, 485 lb/ft endurance, 550 lb/ft drag and 575+lb/ft also drag, all for about the same price, I don't know the difference between all of them but I was thinking of using the Daily model but dang they aren't cheap at all. I have a stage 2 Jetta Tdi 2011, 185 WHP/360lb/ft(Aggressive tune) on stock turbo (24 psi, peak between 27 and 30 sometimes), and 2.5'' stainless exhaust to the rear axle, the DMF is starting to be fatigued after 60000 km of abuse.

Here is the link to the clutch kits with Sasch High torque DMF
https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/10504/

What do you guys think about it ?

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Is anyone driving the DMF stage 3 clutch kit from southbend you have the choice between 470 ft/lb daily, 485 lb/ft endurance, 550 lb/ft drag and 575+lb/ft also drag, all for about the same price, I don't know the difference between all of them but I was thinking of using the Daily model but dang they aren't cheap at all. I have a stage 2 Jetta Tdi 2011, 185 WHP/360lb/ft(Aggressive tune) on stock turbo (24 psi, peak between 27 and 30 sometimes), and 2.5'' stainless exhaust to the rear axle, the DMF is starting to be fatigued after 60000 km of abuse.

Here is the link to the clutch kits with Sasch High torque DMF
https://www.southbendclutch.com/clutches/10504/

What do you guys think about it ?
While I am not, I would say, just from what your setup is, the daily is plenty for the application. Maybe someone else will hop in and correct me on that assumption but I don't see you ever getting to that 470 number.

Braindrill

TDI
Jetta TDI 2011 CR140
While I am not, I would say, just from what your setup is, the daily is plenty for the application. Maybe someone else will hop in and correct me on that assumption but I don't see you ever getting to that 470 number.

You are right, even if one day I go with a big turbo setup, cp3 pump, injectors, etc i think it is plenty sufficient, and with the DMF I think it will be better for the synchro problems of the SMF clutch kits that have been commented a few times.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
You are right, even if one day I go with a big turbo setup, cp3 pump, injectors, etc i think it is plenty sufficient, and with the DMF I think it will be better for the synchro problems of the SMF clutch kits that have been commented a few times.
MUCH better than dropping synchros, needing Fluidampr etc...

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
A bigger turbo may not make as much torque below 2k RPM as well, so DMF could stay alive longer. They're a replacement item at some point though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
A bigger turbo may not make as much torque below 2k RPM as well, so DMF could stay alive longer. They're a replacement item at some point though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Would you consider going back to a DMF with all the miles and experiences you have with the SMF setup?