Today was a good day!

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Well everyone myself and my friend at work made history today. Installed the Audi S3 intercooler, first on a Jetta TDI wagon in the USA! From what I can find at least...If I'm wrong. Well it's the first this side of the Mississippi. Then made history again by installing the Golf R euro head lights on the wagon as well. From what I can gather from ECS, they have sold 4 sets. 1 over seas, 2 to GTI's which are on MKVI forum site, and 1 pair to myself. So I'm going out on a limb to say I'm first as well on the TDI wagon. If not then first in Kentucky Haha.

Pics here. Any Q's just ask. I didn't take a lot of DIY pics because myself and my friend really just wanted to get it done before a show tomorrow at which I hope to get better pics.

Old cooler. With old hose clamps

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I assume you upgraded the CECM as well or had you already done that? Lights look great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So I have to ask. WHat sort of gains are you expecting from the Audi I.C.?

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
^ this. I would think the only IC any would want would be the cold weather revision !

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Well I did some IAT logs with the stock cooler on a cool day though, and honnestly as soon as I hit the throttle, the temp dropped very quickly.
But I have not done any logs with the new cooler, I am going to try to get some back to back with a stock JSW here on the lot, and my car on the same day, with in the same time frame, it can be done, but its still pretty cool around here outside, high of like 70 i think. haha. So better yet try it now, and then again in like July/Aug when it gets much hotter and humid.
It did feel little seat of your pants better. And the group of people behind me going to WBTB car show yesterday said there is a little less smoke coming from the rear end and i let my buddy drive when we got home and seemed to be less smoke, but its also cooler out and seems that helps too.
I have not seen this intercooler freeze up/cold issue nor has the shop i work at seen any. So thats not a big issue in my book.

The main reason i wanted to do it was to see if it would even fit/work. hearing peoples ideas on it and saying it would not work from a lot of people made me want to do it. I also got a very very good deal on it, so i wanted to do it even more.
And be first to try it out, because it cant hurt. I hope.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Seeing that you have a list a mile long of other mods, I'm sure you'll see some benifit from it. Be interesting to see the logs!

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Well I did some IAT logs with the stock cooler on a cool day though, and honnestly as soon as I hit the throttle, the temp dropped very quickly.
But I have not done any logs with the new cooler, I am going to try to get some back to back with a stock JSW here on the lot, and my car on the same day, with in the same time frame, it can be done, but its still pretty cool around here outside, high of like 70 i think. haha. So better yet try it now, and then again in like July/Aug when it gets much hotter and humid.
It did feel little seat of your pants better. And the group of people behind me going to WBTB car show yesterday said there is a little less smoke coming from the rear end and i let my buddy drive when we got home and seemed to be less smoke, but its also cooler out and seems that helps too.
I have not seen this intercooler freeze up/cold issue nor has the shop i work at seen any. So thats not a big issue in my book.

The main reason i wanted to do it was to see if it would even fit/work. hearing peoples ideas on it and saying it would not work from a lot of people made me want to do it. I also got a very very good deal on it, so i wanted to do it even more.
And be first to try it out, because it cant hurt. I hope.
LOL, well, I understand that. I'm going to assume that there is no drain in it either?

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
yea mod list is long, kinda need to make that shorter, but kinda like seeing what i got too.

Yea no drain. like I said, have not seen one and have not have any issues so i dont mind.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With no ERG system pumping back exhaust back into the hot side of the IC, you won't need a drain.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
With no ERG system pumping back exhaust back into the hot side of the IC, you won't need a drain.
Yeah, I missed that. (working midnights and missing things happen). It would have been nice to know though if it did have a drain.

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Really interested in a review of the intercooler install and performance. What tune are you running?

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
might pass on the emblem for the time being, how it sits right now is good with me. although lots of people suggest the smoked side markers I kinda like the orange.

running malone stage 2. dpf/egr delete.
im waiting to get the temp here a little higher like 75-85 would be good and run some back to back with a stock tdi on the lot. As well as a driver side slilicone hose too, just been lazy.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
as i said before, it might or might not do anything. ECS claims a 30% increase in flow.
While the stock system is pretty good already and the turbo isnt like massive or aftermarket so its kinda pointless some might think.
it does get ride of the quick connect clamps to the stock cooler which tend to leak/leak oil and having metal end tanks cant hurt. haha. but we will see, as soon as it gets a little warmer ill get right on it. theres plenty of stock jsw's around here.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
so went out today after work. took my car out and a stock car out.
both are 2010, tdi, jsw's manuals.
stock car has 20K on clock, mine has 28K so pretty close.

Stock car saw at idle(starting) cooler at 38degreesC and a high of 45degreeC after back to back to back pulls of 2nd-3rd and 3rd to 4th.
we did a number of pulls like this to see quick cooler temps and to get the
cooler heat soaked quickly. although its only 82 here.
The stock car im sure, and like mine, would have gone higher after more pulls but we wanted to be quick and just get some rough data.
The cool down time inbetween was slow we found out in the stock car as well going up to 48 and then coming down to 45,40,38 but was slow inbetween runs.

My car on the other hand started out at 34degreeC and a high of only 40degreeC. a difference of 5degree during the runs. After the 2-3 and 3-4 pulls, it never went above 40degreeC but keep in mind, with the tune, we build more heat because of more boost. we did the same number of pulls as the stock car, in the same areas on our test track. but the biggest difference was the cool down time inbetween runs. the high of 40 and moved down to 34 almost instantly sitting at idle and coming down from the 3rd and 4th gear pulls. i was pretty impressed.

For the 5 degree diff. for all the pulls and the cool down time i think it was pretty impressive for a cooler that fits like a glove(oem) and isnt crazy in price.

I plan on doing some more when the temp goes up more and I need to get another boost hose. But other then that Im pretty happy with the results for the time being. :)

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it's be more interesting to know what your tuned car was like with just the stock IC, i bet you'd see a greater difference.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
if i remember correctly, i did do a couple pulls with the old cooler when i had the tune but it was a cool day and out on the interstate. so the cooling off was good, but the temp was still high like the stock jsw we tested.
but im not going back to the stock cooler now haha.
some one else can get that data.

bsalbrig

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf
How did the hoses fit on the car. This is something that I am seriously considering since the CW intercooler on my car was ineffective this winter. I have modded the car and no longer need the CW intercooler so this would be a good solution to remove it if there isnt a hose issue.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
if i remember correctly, i did do a couple pulls with the old cooler when i had the tune but it was a cool day and out on the interstate. so the cooling off was good, but the temp was still high like the stock jsw we tested.
but im not going back to the stock cooler now haha.
some one else can get that data.

I'm sure toeball or any other heaviliy modded ride can do a good pull in hot temps to give you a proper base line. Either way it'll just show you what you already know.