Can I mix pentofrost coolant?

panteramatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf
Ive been using pentofrost E but I can only get the ++ or SF. I read the E isnt good for the tdi cause it has silicates. Should I fluch it all out or cna I just top off and can I mix it with these other 2?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
I use the pentofrost sf. I know you can't mix different brands because it will cause the radiator, and block to grow catilysts. NOT GOOD! I don't know about mixing the different pentofrost kinds though. My advice would be unless you can find somebody that knows exactly what they're doing and says you can mix those. I would just flush the system and add new stuff it's not worth wrecking the radiator or block. Be careful who you listen to, I went to O'Reilly's and asked them if it would cause any issues to mix two similer kinds ( i cant remember the name)they said it wouldn't. I decided to look it up online anyway and I found that you can't mix different brands. There's something in the TDI coolant that makes it incompatible with different kinds. Sorry if it sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, I've done the research within the last year I just can't remember all of the terms. Lol

GlowBugTDI

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
Pentofrost E and SF are compatible.

The silicate content is not an issue. What one wants to use is an OAT (organic acid technology, no silicates) or HOAT (hybrid organic acid technology, contains a tiny amount of silicates) coolant.

You can mix any G12/G13 rated coolant. You can also mix Zerex G-40 coolants with any G12/G13 coolants. For color stay with red/pink/purple. I mention Zerex G-40 because O'Rielly's sells it.

DO NOT USE Dexcool, Prestone, Peak, or any of the dexcool clone coolants. Dexcool and its clones are OAT based but the additive package is a bit different. Many of the generic dexcool clone coolants claim to be universal coolants. That applies only to the dexcool family.

I hope this helps.

:)

Last edited:

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Im just here to watch the inevitable heated debate on coolant types and harmful silicates.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
good job BKmetz, I had been told previously that zerex G40 wouldn't work. the guy that I heard that from could have been wrong though. have you used zerex G40 before?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
the reason I ask is because it is a lot cheaper then pentofrost.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Im just here to watch the inevitable heated debate on coolant types and harmful silicates.
Ok.
I've run DexCool in my 2001 since the rebuild project in 2004 (before I knew any better). But the entire system was empty, dry and clean. So no mixing of types.
Do not mix coolant types. "Universal" coolants aren't across the board universal. Avoid them unless it's an emergency. Stay with compatible/recommended coolant type(s). (Disclaimer)

Dadwagon

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
What about the same coolant type, but from different brands?

I.e. pentosin sf with pentofrost sf

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
What about the same coolant type, but from different brands?

I.e. pentosin sf with pentofrost sf
?? Pentosin is the name of the company, Pentofrost is the brand name for their line of coolants... Please read the post by BKmetz above.