ACTUAL purchases of '15 USED (buyback) TDIs

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Looking for elusive 6 mt Sportwagen

I find myself back in the hunt of looking for a 2015 Sportwagen. I have loved my 01 Jetta for 260k miles and am ready for the next phase.
Unfortunately I don't have unlimited finances so I'm hoping the prices stay reasonable as more inventory hits the market. :rolleyes:
Any advice and information would be most welcome. I'm on the fence about a sunroof but really want those heated seats!

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I find myself back in the hunt of looking for a 2015 Sportwagen. I have loved my 01 Jetta for 260k miles and am ready for the next phase.
Unfortunately I don't have unlimited finances so I'm hoping the prices stay reasonable as more inventory hits the market. :rolleyes:
Any advice and information would be most welcome. I'm on the fence about a sunroof but really want those heated seats!

........... I saw one on CARS.COM ---- Do you own search on wide area

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
If you want heated seats you'll have to settle for a sunroof. I hate both so the S was the best option for me. Prices have come down since the sales of bought back cars started, but manuals are still hard to find, if that's what you're after.

Whatever you find, I wouldn't buy sight-unseen. Some of these cars were better cared for than others, not surprisingly. Look before buying.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Whatever you find, I wouldn't buy sight-unseen. Some of these cars were better cared for than others, not surprisingly. Look before buying.

I have seen "services" that will do an on sight evaluation of a particular car. .... pricey ? ~~ Reliable ?

..... I once bought a 6,500 mile, 9 month old car from a hospital bed. 2003 Camry. Stillwater Toyota dealer. Sight unseen. Did not see the car for 'bout 14 days. Wife wrote a check. No issues.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want heated seats you'll have to settle for a sunroof. I hate both so the S was the best option for me. Prices have come down since the sales of bought back cars started, but manuals are still hard to find, if that's what you're after.

I really want the manual. I haven't test driven a dsg yet and I may need to "settle" for one to get into my price range.
And I must say I appreciate my heated seats more and more the older my bones get...;)
Good advice on buying local.
The closest manual is about 800 miles away.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Funny how people feel about heated seats. I have two cars with heated seats, and I've never turned them on. I hate them. Good thing, as I wouldn't want the pano roof in a GSW. The previous gen roofs were trouble-prone, and there's no indication that the current ones are much better.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
I am unclear about the warranty offered on these used vehicles. I have read about the 11yr/162k warranty but can't wrap my head about what it covers, which cars and whether it's transferrable.
If I end up going with the pano roof, I probably need a warranty.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Funny how people feel about heated seats. I have two cars with heated seats, and I've never turned them on. I hate them. Good thing, as I wouldn't want the pano roof in a GSW. The previous gen roofs were trouble-prone, and there's no indication that the current ones are much better.

I LOVE the heated seats - but I HATE sunroofs !! If I could get the heated seats without the sunroof, it would be this side of heaven.

The Beetle has been a constant source of problems with it getting clogged up and consequently getting the floor wet. The Heated seats are a godsend with how slow the ALH warms up - and it just feels GOOD on the Golf ! The Golf hasn't shown the same problems YET -

Our Beetle was the first car we got that had them - and that first winter convinced us in short order how nice they were.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I LOVE the heated seats - but I HATE sunroofs !! If I could get the heated seats without the sunroof, it would be this side of heaven.

The Beetle has been a constant source of problems with it getting clogged up and consequently getting the floor wet. The Heated seats are a godsend with how slow the ALH warms up - and it just feels GOOD on the Golf ! The Golf hasn't shown the same problems YET -

Our Beetle was the first car we got that had them - and that first winter convinced us in short order how nice they were.
I'm in FL and use my seat heaters everyday, lol. The sunroof, yea in the 7+ years we have owned our 2010 Jetta TDI I think I can count on my hand how many times we've used it between the both of us.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
Thankfully the Canadian "S" (Trendline) models came with heated seats. Ottawa is a fair bit colder than Boston so I will use them all winter.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg

My 2015 Beetle has heated seats and no sunroof. The extra dash gauges and paddle shifters too. But is not the high end model.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I am unclear about the warranty offered on these used vehicles. I have read about the 11yr/162k warranty but can't wrap my head about what it covers, which cars and whether it's transferrable.
If I end up going with the pano roof, I probably need a warranty.

The extended warranty is only for the engine and emissions equipment. The only way your sunroof will be covered is if the cars has any of the original 3/36 bumper to bumper factory warranty left.

Also, the warranty on the 15s is either 11yr/162k miles or 5yr/60k miles from the fix mileage. Although phase 1 and phase 2 are both listed for 5 yr/60k miles, I imagine that the phase 2 fix renders the phase 1 warranty period null and void.

From the VW Q&A:
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification, and the engine subassembly. The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty also provides for a loaner vehicle if emissions warranty service will last longer than 3 hours.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resal, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).
For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:
(a) 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
(b) 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I'm in FL and use my seat heaters everyday, lol.
You do ??

Gee, you must have worn a down jacket, a down vest, gloves, a scarf, and two sweaters, when the temps got into the 40's recently.

I lived in Fla for 14 years and NEVER used the heated seats, and ran the heat in the house maybe twice in 14 years.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The extended warranty is only for the engine and emissions equipment. The only way your sunroof will be covered is if the cars has any of the original 3/36 bumper to bumper factory warranty left.

Also, the warranty on the 15s is either 11yr/162k miles or 5yr/60k miles from the fix mileage. Although phase 1 and phase 2 are both listed for 5 yr/60k miles, I imagine that the phase 2 fix renders the phase 1 warranty period null and void.

From the VW Q&A:
The “Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty” will apply to all vehicles that receive an Approved Emissions Modification, and will cover all replaced components that are part of the Approved Emissions Modification, any component that reasonably could be impacted by effects of the Approved Emissions Modification, and the engine subassembly. The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty also provides for a loaner vehicle if emissions warranty service will last longer than 3 hours.
The Approved Emissions Modification Extended Warranty period for 2009-2014 model year vehicles will be the greater of:
(a) 4 years or 48,000 miles, whichever comes first, from date and mileage of implementing the Emissions Modification, except for vehicles offered for resal, in which case from the date and mileage of the first resale transaction after the modification to the first person who in good faith purchases the vehicle for purposes other than resale, or
(b) 10 years or 120,000 actual miles from the initial date of purchase (whichever comes first).
For 2015 model year vehicles, the warranty period will be the greater of:
(a) 11 years or 162,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle’s original in-service date; OR
(b) 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of Phase 1 of the emissions modification. At the time of the subsequent Phase 2 modification, the extended warranty will be honored for 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the date and mileage of the completion of Phase 2.
You forgot to put the "the greater of" in your statement. For those that bought new left over 2015's it is 11 years/162k miles and covers the long block, turbo charger, fuel system and emissions system. With all disputes settled in the customers favor.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
The on board computer is known to be wrong.
It is, but I know how much it's off by after several manual calculations. It's off by about 6%. So when it tells me my mileage is 50 mpg, I know it's about 47. I really don't need to know it more exactly than that.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not good with purchasing cars and don't understand out of state purchases, so it has me rethinking it the more and more info I get. :(
Not a big deal to buy out of state. Typically, you'll get temporary plates and either the dealer will get you the permanent plates or you will need to get them yourself at your DMV. If it's a neighboring state, the dealer might do it all for you.

I would NEVER buy a used car out of state, or out of town without seeing it in person first. With a new car, I wouldn't care. If you could negotiate a trade-in over the phone, it's easy, just drive the old car there, drive the new one back. If there's no trade in, have someone drive you, or take public transportation.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is, but I know how much it's off by after several manual calculations. It's off by about 6%. So when it tells me my mileage is 50 mpg, I know it's about 47. I really don't need to know it more exactly than that.

That is good for you but no one else knows that about yours. When reporting fuel economy to the world pen and paper results should be reported, not the computer results from the car. They are not accurate.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
One issue that may come up when buying out of state is the taxes due. These are usually included when buying in state, but may not be when buying out of state. So check to see and be ready to pay them when registering it in your state if need be. Could be thousands of dollars.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
That is good for you but no one else knows that about yours. When reporting fuel economy to the world pen and paper results should be reported, not the computer results from the car. They are not accurate.
And when I "report to the world", I would report the 47, not the 50.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
One issue that may come up when buying out of state is the taxes due. These are usually included when buying in state, but may not be when buying out of state. So check to see and be ready to pay them when registering it in your state if need be. Could be thousands of dollars.
That will only bite you if you're used to negotiating on OTD price.

I never do. I negotiate based on "everything except sales tax and actual out of pocket DMV fees." In other words, when the dealer quotes me a price, except for those two items, it has to include doc fee, processing fee, sales mgr fee, test drive fee, showroom fee, final inspection fee, DMV service fee, and all the other crap that dealers try to throw on top of the agreed price.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
That's part of what I meant by DMV requirements. I live in NC but less than a mile from the NC/SC line. When I bought my first new car in SC in 2000, that dealer did not collect the NC taxes, plate fee, or registration. I had to pay that myself when I went to register the car. Today, the dealers take care of all that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I reset my FE calculator in the cluster to 107% in VCDS. Last fill the cluster read .5 MPG low. That's small enough a difference to be accommodated by how full the two tanks were. It's nice to have it be more accurate. I don't get lulled into thinking I have more range left than I actually do.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
Just picked up a black SE Sportwagen. 33k miles. One owner. Looks super clean. A couple of tiny scratches and rock dings in the front. Came with monster mats and other driver gear. Shifting is tight and I'm getting used to the auto/dsg. I got it for just under $20k including taxes, licensing and fees. I declined the $2200 extended warranty.
I also drove a gray S trim with 47k on it that hadn't been detailed yet. Lots of gouges and scratches on the rear bumper and the front was covered with rock chips. They were asking $16k for it. Ran fine though. Just looked like it had been used hard.
Pretty happy with what I got. And it was in my price range.
The reasonably priced cars are flying off the lot here. I've seen them priced as high as $24k with 30k miles.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I'm driving 3 hours tomorrow to go look at a 2015 Passat TDI SEL. Dealer wants $17k for it. It has 35k miles. I'm going to look at it and test drive it so I can see how it compares to our 2017 Passat TSI. I figure it'll drive like our 2010 Jetta TDI, but I want to see how it is in a bigger car, and with the fix (since it has it done).

If they give me a good price, I'll take it, but if not, then I'm going to the local VW dealer there because they have a 2015 Passat TDI SEL in the same color with almost same miles ($36k), but the interior isn't my color of choice.

There is another in Miami, but I'd have to go look at that one another day.

2013 tdi fan

TDI
Man i must have gotten a good deal when i got my 2013.I paid 23000 and it was loaded,sunroof ,automatic ,fender radio,the fancy mats and the trunk liner etc and brand new.

Smashed Ixnay

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Well, I just got home and didn't get the car. They did not want to lower from $17k. I don't blame them, because that is a fair price. I really did love the car. The seats in the SEL are extremely comfortable! The engine did seem different while driving, but it wasn't horrible. I didn't try sport mode, because I'd never use it anyways. I will say the MPG was even better than our 2010 Jetta TDI. I drove it about 15 miles on the highway, but at 70mph I was getting 50.x mpg, and it was still climbing when I got off. That's a pretty big improvement because, iirc, our 2010 Jetta TDI only would get about 43-44mpg at 70mph.

God I love the rumble of that engine too. It did sound louder than our 2010 Jetta TDI, but I did not mind (actually liked it more). I can't get over how comfortable the seats are over our 2010 Jetta and 2017 Passat SE.

I called the other dealer to see what they would do, and they wouldn't go lover than $20k, so I didn't bother.

My buddies told me I really didn't want it if I didn't take it for $17k, but I do. I was just hoping I could get it for $16k, heck, maybe even $16,250 and I'd of took it. Them not budging $1 kind of annoyed me, lol.

Time to continuing shopping! I'm going to call the Miami dealer tomorrow and offer them a price to buy it if I like it. If they agree, then I'll make the drive down south. If they don't, then I won't bother, because that's at least a 4 hour drive. :eek:

Last edited: