New BRM and I want POWER!!!

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks for the tip. I just placed my order for a stage 2 colt cam and 3 bar map sensor

Turbo and tunes will be next

mike505

TDI
06 JEtta brm TDI
Did you have trouble with the oil feed line bolt to the turbo on the gtb1749 mine just has a small leak and I can’t find the banjo bolt nowhere

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
I put the oil feed line on the turbo before installing it, it was a lot easier that way. If I remember right, the braided line I bought was not identical on each end.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
GTB1749v turbo, colt stage 2 cam, Injectors with 1043 nozzles, timing belt kit, and a few more

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Looks like fun! My work table looked similar, except it also had a mini fridge full of beer, and a head gasket.

Edit:you shouldn't need to use the tandem pump gasket. Just rotate the engine back a little bit and rotate the cam back 90 degrees to remove the cam without removing the tandem pump.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Edit:you shouldn't need to use the tandem pump gasket. Just rotate the engine back a little bit and rotate the cam back 90 degrees to remove the cam without removing the tandem pump.
Thats my plan. But the kit came with one so it is a good backup to have.

Still looking into the head bolts or studs. Think I'll just order some ARPs from Summit Racing

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Malone custom tune ordered with Flashzilla!

Now I need to find some time to get this all installed.

How hard is it to get new injectors primed and the engine running after installation? I am thinking of installing the turbo, map sensor, studs, etc and leaving the cam for last. When I get it started and running good then I'll swap in the cam so there isn't any excessive cranking to start on the new cam

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No doubt that you will have a great TDI after you install all of those parts, but I had some buyers remorse after doing basically the same mods that you are doing.

If I had to do it over again I would have just picked up a 335d and tuned it. Unlike the TDI, the 335d has very little maintenance that is needed. No timing belt or cam on that car.

I am sure that I can get another 200k on this car but you can pick up a 335d for about 12k now and it is becoming tempting.

Unfortunately I have 3 other cars and I don't have room for a 4th.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Thats sounds great and all but I picked up this car for less then $4k

The 335d os likely a great vehicle but then again it is a BMW too ;)

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
ARP studs ordered.

What's your vote on torque?

1- 100 lb/ft
2- 110 lb/ft
3- 125 lb/ft
4- 300 lb gorilla tight ;)
5- other

I certainly wont do less then 100 lb/ft as all of the threads I have read indicated that there are way too many failures at that level but seem to be good at 100+ lb/ft

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
The torque for the studs should be whatever the manufacture specifies, my ARP studs are set to around 125 on my truck with o-rings. The builder went 60-90-125, then gave the engine a hot supper and retorqued the studs.

I wouldn't worry about excessive cranking on the new cam, that's why you lube it up and have a little oil on the lifters before buttoning it up, the turbo should be more of a concern than the cam if the cam is installed correctly. I did around 4 15 second cranks with the injector harness disconnected. After hooking the harness and giving it another shot, it fired right up and ran as smooth as can be.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Thanks, Your right, the turbo is more important for having oil.

As for the studs, ARP doesn't have a set specifically for this engine so there is no specs. The specs for the engine it was made for are too low and many have reported leaking head gaskets but when torqued higher the issue seemed to go away. The issue is that there doesn't seem to be an agreement on the new torque. Some torqued it all the way to 125 lb/ft, some only 100. Others feared that 125 is too high and you risk warping the head while some said 100 was too low.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
What ARP stud kit did you go with and from what vendor? There's a few different ways people have been skinning the cats for putting together their kits, some with and others without success. 60 nm plus two sequences of 90 degrees is enough to support over 300 hp in most applications using the PD150 12.9 bolts. But that's taking into account the stretch rate of the bolts, two 90 degree turns on the ARP studs will probably result in a different clamping force.

Darkside recommends 120 nm on the studs listed on their site, which is close to 90.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Get it done already. I am wanting to know your results. I wasn't so happy with mine....I believe I still have an undiagnosed issue with mine from the get go.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you run some logs and have Mark look it over?
Yes, per them nothing out of whack (and 4 other local TDI gurus from this site have been thru this car). I was MUCH more impressed with the Malone Stg2 and stock turbo ....by a lot (VR6 clutch had already been installed). That setup flat out smoked the present setup...wish I had the original "broken" turbo back. SERIOUSLY! Turbo came from Kerma, so unless something was amiss with the "new" turbo I am at a loss as to why it won't perform...?

PS. Search for my previous post regarding this issue, as far as I can tell every leaf has been turned over. I am SURE something has been over looked...

Last edited:

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Yes, per them nothing out of whack (and 4 other local TDI gurus from this site have been thru this car). I was MUCH more impressed with the Malone Stg2 and stock turbo ....by a lot (VR6 clutch had already been installed). That setup flat out smoked the present setup...wish I had the original "broken" turbo back. SERIOUSLY! Turbo came from Kerma, so unless something was amiss with the "new" turbo I am at a loss as to why it won't perform...?

PS. Search for my previous post regarding this issue, as far as I can tell every leaf has been turned over. I am SURE something has been over looked...
I have the PD140 turbo with a Malone Stage 4 tune and it is significantly faster than my previous stock turbo Malone stage 2 tune. I suspect that have something wrong.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Got my studs in finally.

Chucked the nuts up in my drill and ran a file over them. Now I need to see if they fit

Last edited:

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the PD140 turbo with a Malone Stage 4 tune and it is significantly faster than my previous stock turbo Malone stage 2 tune. I suspect that have something wrong.
I agree 1000%.......but after 4 TDI masterminds couldn't figure it out I've given up hope.....I'm reminded of how underpowered/laggy this thing is every time I drive it. :(

OP, carry on and enjoy!

lamboworld

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I agree 1000%.......but after 4 TDI masterminds couldn't figure it out I've given up hope.....I'm reminded of how underpowered/laggy this thing is every time I drive it. :(

OP, carry on and enjoy!
I am going to make a suggestion. I doubt very seriously if you have had 4 TDI pros look at your car that your issue is with anything mechanical. I suspect that you have an issue with your tune. If I were you, I would have my car reflashed.

I originally had a Malone 1.5 tune and when I sent my ECU to Andrew they accidently flashed their stage 2 tune and it ran like ****. After multiple conversations with Andrew Rodriguez he figured out that my car did not have the correct tune. You could run a few logs if you have VCDS that might help figure out if your problem is tune related but I suspect that it is.

Sorry to get off topic OP.

2004LB7

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Nothing is installed yet. Too many hours at work. :(

My understanding is that injector lash is set with a dial indicator to find when the injector is fully pressed, bottom out the adjuster screw and then back it out 180*

If all goes well I will attempt to install on Tuesday and Wednesday

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I am going to make a suggestion. I doubt very seriously if you have had 4 TDI pros look at your car that your issue is with anything mechanical. I suspect that you have an issue with your tune. If I were you, I would have my car reflashed.
Yes, 4 TDI pros....all from the forum here.

3 Malone tune adjustment trying to resolve the issue and 1 TDtuning tune all without remedy.

I won't say it is a not a tune issue but they do know their tuning....

PS: 2004LB7 I just want to experience a well responding BRM/PD140/Malone Stg4....living vicariously through you...LOL

Last edited:

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
Scrambld, how does your car run on the top end, or from 2 grand and above?