MN Chat Thread

Farmboy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf SE TDI 6spd 109k miles; '00 A4 NB 5spd 216k; '96 B4 Passat Sedan 220k
Intake Cleaning in Shakopee

Late notice.

Hope to do an intake cleaning on 2000 Beetle this weekend. This will be my first effort, so I'll be going slow and probably get easily distracted mid-process. Also, not entirely certain that I have exactly the parts, tools, misc. that I'll need, so may end up going on cruises mid-process.

Not sure if there'd be much interest, but if anyone wants to stop by and heckle, advise, observe, etc., I'm happy to have the company, especially if someone would be willing to use my digital camera to take pics for my 'scrapbook'.

I could probably open up a second garage slot, if someone wants to do some work while here, and I'm happy to offer my well-honed heckling services as a bonus.

I kind of putter through things, and have other projects vying for time, so don't have a specific timline, but that could change based on feedback.

If interested, please PM me, and I'll supply location and phone # info.

Cheers!
Tom/Farmboy

Minnesota Mike

TDI
2002 Jetta 263,000.
No boost, then ok when start again.

Hey everybody, I seem to have a problem with my 02 Jetta. First thing, engine light is on sometimes, other times not. Then sometimes it's like there is no boost when accelerating, then if I shut it of and restart it, it's fine. The intake probably needs to be cleaned, but has anyone had this problem before? Any suggestions, other than getting the code read?? Thanks for any help!!

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
Looking for someone who might be able to help me with the airbag light. Ron, I left a couple messages on your voicemail on the subject.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Dealer Help

I have a rust spot on my pass side front fender lip (02 A4 w/ 78k). I took it to Eich up in St. Cloud and the guy told me it probably won't be covered under warranty...he speculated that it was hit by a shopping cart and the paint chipped off. I was also informed that a rep travels around the midwest who has to make the call on these warranty claims and is only around every 3-4 weeks. I took some pics and would post them...if I knew how.

My questions: 1) Has anyone else had problems with this?
2) Does anybody know a service person at a TC dealership that won't try and screw me over?

Thanks for the info.

Nick

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
Sighting

Met Mileage Champ vikingrob at the Eagan Kwiktrip tonight.

I was envious when you calculated that tank. :D

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
I'm gunning for Vrob, 616 on this tank with a quarter left.
No correction factor yet.
616 X1.04 if you are playing along (larger than stock tires)

Mileage to beat 800

GG, Eich uses a little paint shop here in St. Cloud, they did a nice job on my GLI Lip. Talk to Jason in Parts.

Sam in St. Cloud

Last edited:

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Spamjohnson said:
I'm gunning for Vrob, 616 on this tank with a quarter left.
No correction factor yet.
616 X1.04 if you are playing along (larger than stock tires)

Mileage to beat 800

GG, Eich uses a little paint shop here in St. Cloud, they did a nice job on my GLI Lip. Talk to Jason in Parts.

Sam in St. Cloud
It'll be interesting to see your final tank numbers - both miles and gallons. What is your number when your fuel light comes on? I got to 760 adjusted before the fuel light came on.

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Fuel light 713/741 adjusted
Mileage at refill 774/805 ok really 804.96 adjusted
Fuel 15.75 Gal not filled to the brim, but close enought without waiting 5 minutes (tank is devented)

Next challenge?

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
They sure do, Brock from Wisconsin pulled down a 57 MPG in his wagon, I guess I have still have something to shoot for, 900 tank.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Bookworm said:
That is amazing, VR did anyone fron Prius Chat ever take the challenge?
One person expressed interest, tried to pm him, but never heard back.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
Spamjohnson said:
Fuel light 713/741 adjusted
Mileage at refill 774/805 ok really 804.96 adjusted
Fuel 15.75 Gal not filled to the brim, but close enought without waiting 5 minutes (tank is devented)

Next challenge?
Not bad. Not bad at all. But on my 800-mile tank I got a better mpg figure.

805.0 mi / 15.75 gal = 51.11 mpg
My personal best: 801.4 mi / 15.265 gal = 52.50 mpg

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
Yes Sir VR, you have me on mileage. But I have you on a tank. Now on to the 900 mile club. I throw down the gauntlet.

To Painesville Ohio this upcoming weekend 860 miles. Pumping up the tires to 50 PSI.

Went with 46 fronts 47.5 back
previous tanks were with 32 PSI

*Offer not good to Brock
** I'm a professional idiot, don't try this at home.

Last edited:

Mulad

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Reflex Silver Jetta 5sp Manual w/Pkg 1 (XM)
Well it looks like I'll finally be in the TDI fold after lurking around the forums for the last few years -- fortunately I've now had positive cash flow for the last year. I expect to take home a new Jetta on Wednesday (pkg 1 with manual and rear airbags). They seem to be disappearing like crazy though -- I test drove with transportation stickers still on the outside and plastic on the seats. Or is that just a dealer trick to make you think they're going gangbusters? Ah well..

Heh, looks like I'll have to get in touch with my mechanical side with this car, which will be interesting. Does anyone have advice for apartment-dwellers who need to do maintenance? I suppose if worse comes to worse I can borrow my parents' driveway, but it's down near Rochester. I just don't want to be like the guy in my neighborhood I saw a few days ago with his head under a chassis and his legs out in the street -- personally I'd rather remain bipedal as long as possible...

Last edited:

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
855 on one tank, I'll post the particulars later. The new correction factor is 1.02.

Ok, fueled up today and ran the numbers for the full trip
1750 miles and 33.89 gallons.
51.64 MPG, that's with a half hour of stop and go Chicago traffic both ways.
Speed pretty much 69/70 MPH and air on most of the time.
Tires at 45 PSI
Tailwind down, headwind back.
GLI Lip and Higher 5th gear, slightly bigger snow tires.
So if someone ran 60 MPH, I'd think that 60 MPG would be possible on summer fuel.

Last edited:

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
I've peaked out at 42MPG as my best tank ever in my 05 Jetta Wagon PD with a 5-speed manual. This was on the way home from the TDIFest - straight highway at 70-75mph from fuel pump to fuel pump... my wifes passat PD wagon got the exact same milage as my Jetta wagon did for the trip.

I'm averaging 35mpg... even my trip to iowa and back... but needless to say I was driving like a madman, and did hit 115mph a few times (on a closed racetrack of course)

So when does my wagon get 45-50mpg? NEVER! Maybe if I got some really skinny tires and let one of you guys drive it for a while?

Now that I have a Peloquin LSD along with my RC2 and DG Clutch kit, I'm really having fun! Intercooler is next, I just have to decide if I want a front or side mount intercooler...

Why an intercooler you ask? Well I was frustrated with my car going into limp mode at 115mph - it was the same overboost/inlet air temp code that keeps giving me problems. So I gotta cool the air some more.

cheers!

p.s. the passat wagon is pulling the camper nicely and getting about 20mpg with the bikes on top and the 3100lb camper in tow. see the photobucket page for the pics...

newguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6M White
YEA! As i said my wifes passat will do 40-42mpg on the freeway and it's rated at 38.

the camper cuts it in half though...

GeekDriver

TDI
2000 Golf GL Auto TDI
Hey folks,

I have been looking for a TDI for years, and now I finally have one.

I just bought a 2000 Golf GL TDI Auto with 97k on the clock. I think I got a pretty good deal. The seller just had a sign in the window, and the asking price was what Burnsville VW quoted her over the phone sight unseen..:cool:

I have been driving a 2000 VR6 GTI so this will be a huge MPG improvment.
but going from a GLX to a GL is going to be rough.

I already have a DieselGeek 100k TB kit on the way and DeafBug is set to instal it. Just wanted to say hi

Mulad

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Reflex Silver Jetta 5sp Manual w/Pkg 1 (XM)
Fuel

So there only seem to be a small handful of biodiesel pumps in the Twin Cities (there's the Pump-N-Munch on Lyndale on the south edge of Minneapolis, a place in Apple Valley, and if you stretch the limits of what you call "the Cities", another in Pine City). Do they only have (near) B100? I'd probably prefer B20 or B5 (if I feel like following the warranty to the letter, but that 5% is just meant to be an average, right? :rolleyes:). Maybe I'll just "splash mix" two or three gallons into my tank when I'm in the neighborhood, but it doesn't make much economic or environmental sense to make a specific trip out there. At least we're all (in theory) running 2% biodiesel, as per state mandate, though it'd be nice to have a comparable mix to the 10% ethanol that gas-powered cars in the state run on. Good thing that my fuel economy still means that I'm using less petroleum overall...

Oh! Actually, my main reason for putting out this query was to ask, has anyone seen the ASTM tests for these places? I'd hate to find out that big globs of glycerin ended up in my tank... I could ask myself, but no sense in fretting over it if others have checked recently.

On the other side, does anyone know if the Pine Bend (Rosemount) or St. Paul Park refineries are putting out ULSD yet? What's the likelihood that a pump labeled "Low Sulfur Diesel" is actually spitting out ULSD these days? I figure there must be a recertification process that might take a while...

somepunk22

Veteran Member
I have fueled up at the Apple Valley marathon numerous times. They have B20 that can be pumped straight into the car, and B100 in there shop which can only be pumped into approved tanks. When I go there, I usually fill up with B20, and fill a couple tanks of B100. The highest mpgs I've had (56) has been on their B20. I did get one bad tank last year in late fall of B20. I plan on trying the Pump n munch off Lyndale tomorrow. Its a little less out of the way.

I have a friend that worked as a pipefitter at the St. Paul ULSD refinery. I'll check to see if he knows anything.