Jetta TDI, Exhaust pipe broken after cat

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
Hey everybody, I looked under my 00 jetta TDI and noticed that the exhaust is broken just past the catalytic converter.

I used to deal with Honda's a fair bit so I know the exhaust system is always a bolt up type system.

Looking at the image below that I found of a mk4 jetta tdi exhaust, it seems that the cat piece and the midpipe is welded up...is that how it comes from the factory?

So would my best option be is to take the car to a muffler shop and have them just weld back in another pipe connecting the cat and the rest of the original mid-pipe?

I was thinking of getting a used downpipe/cat and bolt it on but it seems like I would have to get the mid-pipe welded onto the cat anyways.

Image for reference

ic_ou812

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI Reflex Silver
Common occurrance. Same thing happened to me 4 years ago. Muffler shop welded a new piece in - $30 done.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
gut that cat with an air chisel while it's out.. better than getting a bigger diameter exhauset for EGT temps and performance :)

fierodough

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle
gut that cat with an air chisel while it's out.. better than getting a bigger diameter exhauset for EGT temps and performance :)
I was thinking of gutting my cat-converter as well... Would the car smoke more? Where I'm at, we do e-tests through the OBDII... So no check engine light and sensors pass the rediness, you are good to go... but if it smokes bad.... they do a more detailed inspection...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Catslytic converters are worth a lot of money, even if they aren't working. If you really hell bent on getting rid of it, take it to a scrap yard.

ludikris

Veteran Member
TDI
Colorado diesel
gutting the cat is better than a bigger exhaust... I asked Jeff from Rocketchip the same and he agreed.. gut your cut is cheaper and more efficient than a bigger diameter down pipe with a cat on it.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
You'd be better off chopping off the cat, selling it and installing a straight pipe in its place. Hell, you'd probably make $$$ doing that, lol.