Does anyone have the tool to remove the alternator pulley?

SugarLandTXTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone near the Houston, TX area had access to the tool required to remove the alternator pulley? I've been unable to remove the pulley so far. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Chuck

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
Are you replacing the alternator? Buy an alternator with a new pulley. I don't think I would buy just the alternator and not replace the pulley also. Autozone carries alternators with pulley. They carry the alternators without also, just a heads up.

David

SugarLandTXTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Hey David,

Thanks for the heads up. The alternator is still good, but the pulley itself is bad. Apparently it's a relitively common problem, often mistaken for a bad A/C compressor.

wczorn

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Gl TDI 5 SPD
SugarLandTXTDI said:
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone near the Houston, TX area had access to the tool required to remove the alternator pulley? I've been unable to remove the pulley so far. I would appreciate any help. Thanks

Chuck
I'm sorry I don't have access to the tool you're referring to. Metalnerd makes a tool for alternator pulley removal
http://www.metalnerd.com/cat05.htm. Here is a thread(with pics) on removing the pulley:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=146580

Last edited:

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Try to go to harborfreight tool. They have 2 locations at Houston. I saw it 3-4 weeks ago. I think it calls euro alternator wrench kit. something like that. Or if you have someone who has Air gun 1/2 inch. You need take out alternator and do it with gun.

redbaron58p

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
I used a strap wrench to get mine off when it broke awhile back. I may still have it around if you want to try. I'm just up 59 from you if you'd like to give it a try

D03tdi

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hey i had the same problem...its bull crap....may dad has been a GM mechanic and well known for over 25years and he has never seen this happen on any other car....I put an old allen wrench in there and turned the allen wrench with another wrench....(i needed my car the next day) I have heard many places about harbor freight having what you need..lemme know what happends!

P.S. get it fixed the pulley will fall off...and also the alternator is fun to get out!