What clutch do I need?

coriscool

TDI
2009 JSW TDI
I have a 2009 sportwagon. I got the emissions recall fix done and I hated it. Huge loss of power and 4 mpg drop. So I got the kerma tune. Awesome returned the car to the one I love plus some.

Problem is now I'm starting to get some clutch slippage
Weird thing is it's only happening in 5th and 6th gear at full power and it's intermittent. I can still rail it off of stops on lower gears fine. It makes me think that the clutch is still good, it just can't handle the new torque output.

Either way I need a new clutch. Do I need to get a stage 2 clutch now? Which clutch do you suggest? Do I need to mess with the flywheel too? Vehicle is stock beside the tune. Thanks.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
My factory clutch also slipped after getting tuned. I could slip it in most gears if I mashed the go pedal below ~2500 rpm. I just avoided doing that and drove it for a couple years that way. When I finally replaced the clutch it actually looked very good with not much wear. I think I just got a weakish Sachs pressure plate from the factory. Replaced it with Luk kit and flywheel and 20k miles later - no slippage so far. The Sachs sre is a good upgrade option if you want some extra margin.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
So was that the oem level luk you put in?
Yup. I was in the middle of a 4000 mile road trip when I got nervous and had it replaced. Otherwise, I probably would have got a Sachs sre and done the work myself. But the Luk is holding my malone stage 3 tune just fine.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
coriscool, I don't know the mileage on your clutch, but if it is slipping in 5th and 6th gear under load, she is not happy. I realize having a tune (from my personal experience) tends to make a person throttle happy, but--for a while at least--can you be less throttle happy? You also do not mention which level of tune you had installed, so that piece of info will be of help when it comes to clutch decision time. The short version when it comes to clutches is to buy one the next level stronger than you you need now, as later you want more power and not having to replace the clutch again saves money. I have a Stage 4 tune and my SB Stage 2 Daily Driver clutch hasn't even whimpered, and TBH, I didn't even notice any difference in pedal effort required when I upgraded my stock clutch.

I don't know if anyone near you has VCDS, but if you ever need your car scanned we can likely work something out.

Last edited: