06 tdi missing and smoking / intermitten problem

aprils06tdi

TDI
jetta
2006 tdi 5 speed with 118k on the clock but noticed a miss when at idle only, shut it off and restart and it is gone but a bit of black smoke when acelerating , while driving lately, any help would be apreciated, bought the car at the dealer and bought the extended warranty on the engine, so if i can't fix it , offf to the dealer it will go.

Last edited:

aprils06tdi

TDI
jetta
tdi at vw dealer, lifter is bad and as follows so is the cam shaft, warranty company is going to check it out and let us know how much money we will owe to fix it, i paid 1500.00 for the warranty when we bought the car used WITH A 100.00 DEDUCTABLE, we will see how well this goes, 2300.00 is what it takes to fix it, it will get fixed and then S.O.L.D.!

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Why sell

Why would you want to sell it? If it gets repaired use the correct oil 505.01 Vw approved. Most likely previous owner did not use the correct oil. You never know what you are buying when you buy used. If you buy new and keep it well and correctly maintained then you know condition of car. You are past due if the timing belt, water pump. tensioner, TTY blolts have not been replaced!

Last edited:

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
tdi at vw dealer, lifter is bad and as follows so is the cam shaft, warranty company is going to check it out and let us know how much money we will owe to fix it, i paid 1500.00 for the warranty when we bought the car used WITH A 100.00 DEDUCTABLE, we will see how well this goes, 2300.00 is what it takes to fix it, it will get fixed and then S.O.L.D.!
If you have a bad lifter and cam then you also need to replace the oil pump. All those metal shavings do damage.

$2300 does sound kind of high, but then again its the dealer quoting the work.

Use a good 505.1 oil, but make sure it is a 5w40 oil,not 5w30 like VW says. Every PD car that I have inspected that has used 505.1 5w30 oil, has had cam wear. But those using 5w40 since new or low mileage, I have not seen any cam wear.

Best wishes with the car.

vwjettadsl

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
TDI’s
Probably go 200K miles after the fix. I disagree on the oil pump.
Franko6 was the one that pointed out the oil pumps to me awhile back. Sure enough every time I've inspected an oil pump on a car with bad cam wear and the nitride worn off of the lifters the oil pump needed to be replaced. I have several old oil pumps sitting in my recycle bin to prove it as does Frank. If in doubt simply pull the pump, open it up and inspect it. If all looks good then put it back on, if not then replace it.

Cheers:)

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I too have seen bad oil pumps after cam and lifter failures. I did not do a capacity test, just noted that it was very badly scored. I would not have thought that the metal would have made it into the pump through the screen and fighting gravity.

But it did.

Jnitrofish

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5, 2005.5, and 2006. 5m, 5m, and DSG.
I closely examined my oil filter when I was replacing my (latest) camshaft and after I found some strings of munched metal in it I opted to replace my oil pump than take the chance. My lifters hadn't caved yet either.