2105 Golf shutter/vibration at 1100 RPM

TDI
Jetta tdi 2009
Just picked up Golf 2015 TDI. New one from dealer. Just released. When driving notice a shutter/vibration at 1100 RPM only. Otherwise fine. I have not spoken to dealer yet. Wondered if anybody has any ideas?

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
I notice a slight vibration at around that rpm when accelerating in 6th. I just figured it was the result of putting load through a low revving motor.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
The harmonics diesels produce @ the crank and get carried through the drive train, what would you expect at such low rpm?

Those aren't vibrations, it's ignition and torque!

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
1100 rpm is way too low in any gear other than first. Trying to accelerate from 1100 rpm in sixth gear is lugging the engine to a ridiculous extent- puts tremendous unneeded strain and wear on the engine.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Assuming a manual transmission here, the suggested gear displayed on the MFD is programmed with efficiency in mind only. In our wagon, I frequently find the driver (wife) slowing down in gear and not downshifting when needing to accelerate again thus causing a complaint that the car is slow....smh! I can only imagine the life expectancy of the DMF being shortened as well if driving this way frequently.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I've never had a car that told me when to shift until now. It's kind of neat, and seems to know its stuff at least with good mileage as the goal, so how soon to get into a higher gear.
Pretty terrible on suggesting down shifts though, basically at an idle in whatever gear you should then down shift... that's fine for coming to a complete stop. In real life you usually need to shift before then.

I'm trying it's suggestions for up shifts to see what mileage It'll get, and trying to drive sensibility. Downshifts though are still up to me and the driving situation at the moment.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just ignore the shift indicator and keep the rpm over 1600 when accelerating or on the throttle. The fuel mileage on my mk6 would suffer if I shifted when it indicates. Maybe it would be ok if I lived in Iowa or someplace unusually flat.

TDI BR

Veteran Member
TDI
Black 2015 Golf TDI SE manual
My flywheel would shutter sometimes in high gear, low rpm. But I also had mine deleted and tuned. Easy way to avoid it is to just down shift. No need to stomp it at low rpm. Never listen to the shift indicator. Mine would tell me to be in 6th gear at 46mph. There's no way I'd shift that high unless I was going 55+( and definitely not while going uphill).

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
do you hear the rattle when you press/ release the clutch at idle? or better yet press the clutch, rev it up and then release the clutch, mine sometimes has a slight rattle when I do this

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
When I loaded the clutch a bit i would hear input shift clatter in the gearbox. It can be conformed by letting the clutch out a fuzz in neutral, when the noise starts, try pushing it into gear to put rotation resistance on the input shaft from synchronizers

If it gets quieter it's just gear lash clatter, and the traditional harmonics of diesel ignition is getting carried through the shafts.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
the thing is i bought 2 gsw manuals, one clatters the other is silky smooth, no clatter or difference with clutch in or out

TDI
Jetta tdi 2009
Guys, this is an automatic transmission. Went to dealer and mechanic indicated something to do with power steering. Makes no sense to me. Taking to my friend who is mechanic for another opinion.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Guys, this is an automatic transmission. Went to dealer and mechanic indicated something to do with power steering. Makes no sense to me. Taking to my friend who is mechanic for another opinion.
That mechanic is a knucklehead. Volkswagen has used electric power steering since the mk5 days. They are all electric now. And it should NOT effect idle or drivablity at all.

When I owned a TDI it really seemed to enjoy staying around 1800-2k RPM. Below that it was slow and seemed to lug the engine. 1100 RPM is really low for any 4 cylinder engine under any load. I know KermaTDI had a DSG tune for the mk6 TDI that greatly improved drivablity. I'm not sure if anyone has one for the mk7 TDI yet since diesel gate put a damper on the TDIs. A quick glance over KermaTDIs site looks like they don't have a tune yet. Maybe with some time and after diesel gate blows over KermaTDI will offer a tune for the DSG.

You could also try manually shifting in manual mode to see how it improves things.

Miss_Athanatos

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen 6-speed manual; 2016 3500 Ram Tradesman 4X4 6.7L Cummins 6-Speed manual
The vehicle shift indicator is reasonably programmed with lowest warranty repair in mind. On a flat it indicates a shift should be made at ~42 mph and 1800 RPM from 4th gear to 6th. The resulting RPM in 6th is ~1100. The car will accelerate gradually from there up to the desired running speed. The car will shudder due to low frequency harmonics. Obviously if you need the car's guts, then get the RPMs up in 4th. If you think the car can't carry it in 6th, drive in 5th.

-- Nicole

Last edited:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
Actually I've noticed this a couple times too, I'd call it more of a hiccup. Both times were shortly after start up on a cold engine under low rpm (and light load). It seemed like a fuel delivery problem to me but not sure what would cause it.