Alternator Pulley

curraheevw

TDI
2005.5 Volkswagen Jetta MKV
Need your help... My alternator pulley has started acting up. The dealership wants to replace the alternator. They priced the part out and it's 850 bucks for the alternator. I have 150,000 miles on the car now and I'm leaning towards just replacing the alternator instead of just the pulley (for piece of mind). Can anyone recommend an good online source for VW parts? I'm hoping I can find a replacement part much cheaper than the 850.00 I was quoted. Thanks in advance...

LITTLE-LARRY

TDI
2010 JSW
A friend of mine just replaced the alternator on his 03 Beetle. The alternator from the dealer was around $390 and another $60 for the pulley. I can't imagine the Jetta alternator would be that much more.............but who knows.

LARRY

TDICube

Veteran Member
The alternator pulley is a relatively easy job since it is well-documented on this web site. The hardest part was getting the pulley off of the alternator; pulley was on good'ntight. One how-to pictorial helped me by showing someone removing the pulley by bracing one wrench up against the engine copartment (cannot remember what part) and turning the other wrench. You will also need a spline tool to remove the pulley.
TDICube

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
150K miles?

Pull your alternator and take it to a competant shop while it's off. My '03 clutch pulley started acting up so I took the alternator off, took it to the local guy and for under $170 out the door, he tore apart the alternator, replaced bearings, replaced diodes, brushes, clutch pulley and any other "consumable" parts right in front of me, took him about an hour. Alternator output over 130 amps before his bench tester couldn't turn it anymore.

curraheevw

TDI
2005.5 Volkswagen Jetta MKV
Thanks guys for the information! I found exactly what I was looking for. After reading the responses, I've called the dealership back and told them that I wanted to just replace the pulley. I'd get them the part if they want or I'll have it done somewhere else. They were going to charge me 125.00 bucks to replace the alternator so I didn't think that was unreasonable. They are going to check with the parts department again and technician and get back with me. Thanks again!

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Aaron(Boraparts) sells the pulleys, I keep one in stock, takes like 10 minutes to change one, if you drink a cup of coffee...