Replacing side mirror turn signal bulbs?

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Has anyone done this? What light bulb does it take? Or is it led?
Do I need to take the whole mirror apart (as if I were swapping the blinkers?)

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
Do you have VAG-COM? It is possible to accidently turn them off in VAG-COM. Just an FYI, if you do blow a bulb, a light on your instrument cluster will illuminate to let you know you have a light out.

I would do a scan before anything.

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
LF06VWJTDI said:
Has anyone done this? What light bulb does it take? Or is it led?
Do I need to take the whole mirror apart (as if I were swapping the blinkers?)
I wasn't going to touch this post, then I thought why not?
Start your car, turn on the turnsignal. Do the front and rear turn signals function properly? Normal rate of interruptions?
Yet the Mirror turn signal remains dark?

Yes you may have a blown fuse.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Well, I took the mirror apart (I practiced for when I will put smoked blinkers).
I can confirm that those lights are indeed led lights. Wiring seems fine. Front and rear turn signal work ok.
Manual says turn signals fuses are F25 and F26 on fuse box in engine compartment. I checked those and they are fine.
Last think I need to check is if I didn't accidentally turn them off with VAG-COM, although I wouldn't have any idea on how to check that. Controller 9? Controller 46? Which bit should I look for? :confused:
I doubt it is a VAG-COM issue, if I did turn them off by mistake why would the right one work and not the left one? Unless they can be turned off separately through adaptation? But at this point that would have been too complicated an operation to have been done by mistake.
Looks like I gotta take a trip to the dealership. Man, I hate that...

Last edited:

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
IT would be in controller 9, but you could also do it if you went into the door electronics for for the side that doesn;t work. they are controlled via CAN-BUS throught their respective door computer.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
Did you try a voltmeter or testlamp check at the connections in the mirror? You'll soon confirm whether the problem is in the LED array that way...

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
Unbelievable folks. After I went through the trouble of taking the mirror apart, checking all kinds of fuses and wires, in the end it turned out to be a VAG-COM issue just like SVTWEB suggested.

Controller 42 - Door Electronics, Driver: I added the value "4 - Side mirror turn signal installed" to the coding, so that now it's 000511 - and voila Houston we got blinkers!

It remains to be seen how that value was taken out of the coding since I haven't touched VAG-COM in a while, but I don't really care. It all works fine now.

Thank you all for your help and thanks to SVTWEB for pointing out the VAG-COM issue. I would have never thought of it.

Last edited:

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you.. Thank you... Thank you... I appreciate the applause from all of you... Please... Just throw money..... Thank you......

:)