HVAC - Fan blows no air after 40 min running

dallmke

TDI
2015 Passat TDI
I have seen this problem on this forum and others with no resolution. Our 2015 Passat TDI SEL has had this problem for over a year and I think VW finally has solved the issue. Short specs of issue. Climatron never shows a trouble code. HVAC works on start up but after 40 minutes or so the fan continues to run but no air through any of the vents. No foam through vents and no abnormal fan noise. Conducted the flap door reset with no effect. Only way to reset is to shut off car for 20 minutes then process repeats. A major safety issue in winter as defrost does not function – major annoyance during the summer. VW dealer not able to replicate because after 20 minutes it resets and takes 40 minutes to demonstrate. VW Dealer replaced Climatron to no effect.

Wife took advantage of Takata airbag replacement appointment to leave 40 minutes early to show them the issue. Sure enough after 40 minutes the problem presents and the dealership says “Huh. You have no air coming through the vents. Just like you have been saying.” Eventually they call Germany or somewhere and the Mother Ship finds a software update for the Climatron that needs to be installed. That was 2 weeks ago. Wife and daughter drove car to Chicago (2 hours each way) with no issues. Looks like we may have found the cause of the illusive Climatron HVAC issue.

Will be taking car to Minneapolis in a couple of weeks and will report back on HVAC.

GBrown31

TDI
06 Jetta 15 Passat SEL
Just found this, I am experiencing the exact same problem in our 2015 SEL. Have only had it about 9 months but the problem gets worse the longer we have it. Starts out blowing air like crazy and in about 30 to 40 minutes you can barely feel any movement at the vents but can still hear the fan running. Even having the same issues with the heat now that its colder.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
While we drove out '15 for 3 hours each way this past weekend i haven't noticed a decrease in air flow over time, but do notice temps going from hot to more warm, i chalk it up to the blending funciton and cabin temp reaching set point.

I'll keep and eye on it and see what happens with fans on 3-4 after a 1-2 hour drive. Wife's normal commute is 35-45 min depending on traffic so typically wont surface.

Maybe this would be a good excuse to get that hand held wind meter i've been eyeing for our back packing trips.

GBrown31

TDI
06 Jetta 15 Passat SEL
Well the dealer is stumped. Supposed to be researching it and let me know what they find next week. Was told they had not seen one do what mine is doing before.