Drumming noise at 58-62mph

DaiJ

TDI
2.0l
Seem to get a drumming noise at the front of the car at 69ish, bearings check out ok, told it’s an engine induction noise..any comment?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The problem starts when the drumming stops.

I don't recall ever hearing a noise on this site associated with drumming. Induction noise? That's an uh, interesting idea. The problem is that you are asking for a noise diagnosis on the internet. Is it possible for you to record it and post online someplace for others to hear?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Check list for you in order of likelihood and then in cheapness of fix

Balanced tires, you lost a balancing or something
CVaxle is unbalancing itself and means a rebuild or replace
Wheel bearing,

there could be hundreds or reasons why you get a unusual road sound. Please dont describe things like sounds with words we are not familiar with aka no comparison. use youtube or something please.
Now you need to give us MUSH more information.
Does it go away immediately when you so much as even tough the brakes but continue the same speed? does it change if you steer left or right? does it change when you accelerate hard? ONLY at 69mph and no other speed, 65-75mph only? can you feel the sound vibrations in the steering wheel or break pedal? is it metallic?

try and describe it with what does and does not happen vs random words that it might sound like

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Loose splash shield (or wings)?

How were the bearing proclaimed to be OK?

As others have asked, engine speed or ground speed?