upgraded OEM intake snorkle

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Well, because I've done so many mods to my intake track, I was pondering upgrading to a larger bore cold air intake. I felt the largest restriction on my setup at this point was the OEM airbox. While hunting for different CAI brands and types, I stumbled on this thread over on vortex talking about a larger intake snorkle that is available only on the european R32 with DSG.
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2647069&page=1
I ordered the parts and installed them last night. The fit is great, but with the larger TDI battery, the battery box must be removed or trimmed. I trimmed. :)
The diameter of the new snorkle is tremendous. It makes a nice throaty sound too. Its the best of both worlds. OEM airbox, with the larger flow capacity of all the aftermarket cold air intakes.
I didn't take any pics, but install was fairly simple. Bumper and battery box must be removed, but its only about an hour install.

Here are the pics from the other thread.
StoicDude said:
Left R32, Right 1.8T

R32

1.8T top, R32 bottom

R32 left, 1.8T right
Arizman3 said:
Bought the following two pieces from Impex because they have access to european only parts.

Piece that goes under the headlight: 1J0 805 962 G B41
IMPEX SKU # 332849
Special Order European Part
Price: $16.07

Intake snorkel: 1J0 129 609 G
IMPEX SKU # 331954
Special Order European Part
Price: $42.27

Following parts came from 1stvwparts (Impex had them too but were more expensive).

Airbox: 1J0129607AK
AIRCLEANER $91.55

piece that goes behind the headlight:1J0 805 965 E B41
ADJUSTER $3.88

Airbox comes with a new filter already installed. Airbox does not have the separator in it and lacks the spring loaded flapper. Has a much larger opening for the snorkel.
The new snorkel makes the stock one look rather small and restrictive.
Rubber sealing rings for the snorkel to headlight and airbox are included.
I believe that IMPEX sells the european airbox that includes the saftey flapper.
Its part # 1J0 129 607 CC

I'll check in in a few weeks and give some reports, but my preliminary impresion is quite positive. Far better than an aftermarket part with a junky cone filter.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI

dok

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V
Looks great. Love to see pics of the install. I need to get rid of my K&N filter and go back to at least the stock air box. This looks like a good improvement. Any difference in spool up or egt's?

Thanks,

David K.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Wow! Nice. Is it a tyrolsport unit? Did you get the airbox from impex as well, or from 1stvw?
You'll have to trim the back side of the battery box, but the battery fits ok. Take the bumper and headlight out to install.
-J

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
is a Boost factory SMIC, I got the aribox from vortex is a US spec R32 which it has the botton that fits the new intake snokel 2.5 x 4.5" I think, and the top that fits the PD150 MAF housing to match the rest of my PD 150 piping going in my car

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI (ALH) GLS, 5sp, Tornado Red, 301,593 miles, SOLD
Wow this looks to be a great compromise for keeping our stock CAI system, while opening up that restrictive snorkel! I just checked out the CC airbox (1J0 129 607 CC) on Impex and its out of stock, going for $213, ouch. Could very well be worth it though. Someone on the Vortex forum posted airflow increases from 182 g/s to 200 g/s!!

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
tongsli said:
Justin,
What kind of modifications did you need to make to the battery box?
Basically, I cut the entire side of the box out, starting just below the clip that holds the lid on. Ill try and get some pics... I suppose you could get the battery box that goes with a 1.8t or vr6 and run the optima red top so everything would fit, but I don't mind trimming some plastic when its out of sight.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Nice upgrade! So can I buy the old snorkel and headlight thingie from you?

gsxr1k

TDI
2002 white golf gls, 5spd
dok said:
Looks great. Love to see pics of the install. I need to get rid of my K&N filter and go back to at least the stock air box. This looks like a good improvement. Any difference in spool up or egt's?

Thanks,

David K.
I'd also like to know about this ?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Spool up is crazy fast. Big difference. I am still searching for the snorkel in Europe, but have the R32 bottom on the airbox with a VR6 top. The PD150 MAF fits right into the VR6 box.

Another mod that doesn't add power. Right.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
So you are using the PD150 MAF without issue? :p

So I am guessing that a VR6 MAF Housing with a TDI insert in a VR6 upper airbox, (or does the PD150 Housing fit the R32 upper? :confused:) with the R32 DSG lower airbox and snorkle would be the hot ticket then... :D

What is the difference between a VR6 airbox and a R32 airbox, (besides the hole for the larger snorkle on the R32)? :confused::confused:

IndigoBlueWagon said:
Spool up is crazy fast. Big difference. I am still searching for the snorkel in Europe, but have the R32 bottom on the airbox with a VR6 top. The PD150 MAF fits right into the VR6 box.

Another mod that doesn't add power. Right.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I'm running an r32 lower with vr6 upper. The vr6 maf housing I have does NOT fit in the R32 upper.... The diameter is nearly the same, but the way it fits in is slightly different.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The PD 150 MAF seems fine. I will probably put a Pierburg MAF in the holder when I have it re-tuned because I want to be able to not have a tuning issue if my MAF fails. The re-tune is necessary regardless because the air flow in the new intake will be slower, causing the MAF to under-report and therefore reduce fueling at part throttle, as I understand it.

The VR6 and R32 airboxes look the same except for the snorkel size. And I had the same experience as Justin: the VR6 or PD150 MAF won't fit in the R32 airbox top, even though it looks like it should. I've got a lot of random airbox parts around now.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
IndigoBlueWagon said:
The VR6 and R32 airboxes look the same except for the snorkel size. And I had the same experience as Justin: the VR6 or PD150 MAF won't fit in the R32 airbox top, even though it looks like it should. I've got a lot of random airbox parts around now.
So the bottoms are identical except for the snorkle inlet? COOL! :cool: 1 less thing I need to spend money on. :D

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
IndigoBlueWagon said:
The PD 150 MAF seems fine. I will probably put a Pierburg MAF in the holder when I have it re-tuned because I want to be able to not have a tuning issue if my MAF fails. The re-tune is necessary regardless because the air flow in the new intake will be slower, causing the MAF to under-report and therefore reduce fueling at part throttle, as I understand it.

The VR6 and R32 airboxes look the same except for the snorkel size.
And I had the same experience as Justin: the VR6 or PD150 MAF won't fit in the R32 airbox top, even though it looks like it should
Me too!!!, I will trim mine to make it fit..

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Justin,

Looked at the parts at Impex today while fanofalldiesels was installing his ecodes. None of us could figure out where the battery box interference was located.

Hopefully, your install pics will shed some light on the situation.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I know it looks like it will fit, but it just didnt, at least on my car.:rolleyes:
Pics tomorrow....

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
Could you mate the stock TDI upper airbox with the R32 lower airbox, instead of using the VR6 upper airbox?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
oldpoopie said:
yes, that would work without issue.
Justin, is it the VR6 (top portion) airbox that has the interference? Or the lower R32 portion?

Lito

fishmando

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 5 spd
So does:
Airbox: 1J0129607AK
AIRCLEANER $91.55

...Include the top and bottom or just the bottom?

Also, I want to replace my MAF housing with something bigger since I am about to remap... What is a good combo of airbox top and housing?

Turbosprezarka

Veteran Member
TDI
I happened to notice that too, its been advertised at that price for a week now.

fishmando said:
1J0129607AK $122.15

AIRCLEANER

Uhhh.. did the price go up?