Smf?

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Purchased a Sachs Quiet Clutch and flywheel, as recommended by trusted TDI Club members, to replace my failing DMF. I'm finding that the pressure plate will not seat on the flywheel dowel pins (the pressure plate should align in only one position) and that the dowel pins are too large in diameter to fit in the designated holes in the pressure plate. It has been suggested that the dowels need to be adjusted (with a hammer) to align with the pressure plate and that the pressure plate should be seated with a aid of a rubber mallet. It seems to me that the dowels are there to position the pressure plate precisely to keep the clutch assembly aligned and balanced with the flywheel. I would appreciate comments from those that have used the Sachs Quiet Clutch and any challenges they experienced with dowel pin alignment and seating the pressure plate. The flywheel/clutch replacement is a difficult enough job without having to "encourage" the dowel pins to align with the pressure plate and then need to "persuade" the assembly together while working in such a confined area.

Last edited:

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
Any comments from members that have installed a Sachs Quiet Clutch on an A5 BRM?

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
I have not installed this system. But I highly suggest not to modify any "matched set" of components that aren't matching. Contact vendor, have part numbers from all components and be able to take pics to send to vendor and let them assist.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Are you sure it is a Sachs flywheel? It should say it on the casting.
Which vendor?

Last edited:

dieselbill

TDI
JETaah, thank you for your reply. The flywheel does not have SACHS stamped on it anywhere. It does have SAWG-TD and the numbers 028105269B. It also lacks any "Made in ????" on it. The vendor is a club member and a long trusted supplier that I have done business with for years. I will not reveal the name unless this issue cannot be resolved. I have 60 years of mechanical experience (yes I'm getting old) and have worked on VW's since 1967. I cannot recall ever installing a clutch with dowel pins (haven't had to do a clutch since back when we had Type 1 aircooled Beetles), but would expect that with a German product it would fit properly. I am attempting to learn from others if the pressure plate (which definitely is Sachs) shouldn't fit without the use of a mallet or hammer. I strongly suspect no "persuasion" should be required. Any help from qualified experienced members would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dieselbill

TDI
GCBUG00, thank you for your response! I have every intention of working with the vendor first and have spoken with him on the phone. It was from the vendor that the suggestion of "persuasion" with a hammer or rubber mallet was made. I expect to speak with him again on Monday. I will post the resolution to this challenge when it occurs.

GCBUG00

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
dieselbill,

Those pins serve as the method to locate the cover to the flywheel for balance references and on some applications as an index method to transfer crank position to an external timing reference. The cover should snap on, no forcing.

Gary

dieselbill

TDI
GCBUG00, Thank you again for offering your advice. Tomorrow I will speak with the vendor again.

dieselbill

TDI
Issue with flywheel/clutch assembly resolved courtesy of Peter at IDParts. Excellent service and very fast "turn around". Replacement assembly fits together the way most German components do, precisely with no sloppiness.