Inner CV joint replacement

2-Stroke Freak

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
I need to replace my inner CV joints on my 03 Wagon. Is there a how to thread that somone can link me to??
Thanks!

Last edited:

2-Stroke Freak

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
thanks for the link Grizz. I replaced them today. The most dificult part was getting the boots over the splines, and that wasn't allbad.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
Take off the spring clip with a pair of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver. Be careful because it can go flying. Then just use a plastic hammer or punch to drive the CV joint of the splines. I marked the direction first and dissambled the balls and outer cage first, before I drove off the inner. Pretty simple.

slate

TDI
Jetta
I really dorked my drivers side one up. We were trying to get the transmission out and must have Conan'ed the CV joint as a ball bearing dropped out and rolled about 5 inches. Leaving a nice trail of lube.

I need to put it all back together before I can put the tranny back up.

The cage is off the races...is it possible to get the balls back in the cage and then get the cage back on race and then on the housing?

I can post a picture if it would help, but man it looks ugly.

slate

TDI
Jetta
dirtysouthjacket said:
Take off the spring clip with a pair of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver. Be careful because it can go flying. Then just use a plastic hammer or punch to drive the CV joint of the splines. I marked the direction first and dissembled the balls and outer cage first, before I drove off the inner. Pretty simple.
Ok, I just reread this post a couple of times....So if you were able to disassemble the unit ON the axle, I should be able to Assemble the unit on the axle right?