rear fog light how to

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Hi folks
I have a 2011 sportwagen. I have installed front fogs using the info here and on myturbodiesel. I am having a problem figuring out how to do the rear fogs though. Can anyone point me to an actual article I can work from?
I do have VCDS and from what I can see it should just be a matter of switching out wires on the electrical controllers and changing the reversing bulb on the drivers side to a red one. But I'm not sure:confused:
any help appreciated.
Also anyone who has done it - did any of you add a reversing camera? I have added one to my car and it triggers off the passenger side reversing light so i need to make sure that stays the same :D
cheers
Barri

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
There is some things in Euro-spec cars that make sense...like these rear facing fogs. The fog in Germany and other places can get very thick! But it helps in rain storms, snow, etc!

Wish I could help you, but I can only encourage you!

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
Thanks very much - obviously my search ability is not great as it did not get me to that post.
most appreciated
I'll give it a try

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Hey you want a rear fog light more power to you, but why may I ask?

I put in front fog lights. I never really had a need to really use them... except maybe once. I live in a major city with street lights, but the fog lights do cast a lower wider light which helps on dark back roads a little, regardless of fog. Are they worth it? No not really from a practical standpoint.

Keep in mind FOG lights are really for others to see you.... You can't see through fog, with out IR or FLIR (advanced aircraft use this).

If the fog is that bad don't drive.

murphyslaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 TDI JSW/Sunroof/Nav/Man
I'd like the rear fog. Just yesterday morning driving to town on the highway there was a lot of blowing snow. Didn't know I was coming up on the truck in front of me until I was about 20' from them. I'm sure the folks behind me were in a similar situation.

gurunutkins

TDI
2011 VW jetta sportwagon
I'm with murphyslaw on the rear fog. I live in the PNW and travel to Boise twice a month. Have to go over snoqualmie pass in WA and deadmans pass in eastern OR (pendleton). both usually have crappy weather with blowing snow and dense fog in the valleys.
Before the VW I always had mercedes and they all came with rear fogs operational. I can see the difference in how close the drivers behind react between the 2 cars - they were getting a lot closer to the VW. At the moment I have a battery driven LED that clips into a holder stuck to my rear bumper but it means getting in and out to attach it and remove it a couple of time on the trip which is a real pain in the bottom :D and if I start running temporary wires I might as well do it properly.
Cheers
Barri