HID Projector Retrofit

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Well I've got some bi-xenon projectors, shrouds, etc on order and I'm going to be retrofitting them into my stock housings. I've done a lot of reading up on retrofitting, but was just wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted a MKIV golf headlight. I know the Jetta has been done forsure.
What projectors did you use? How did it turn out? Any hints/tips/tricks/photos you'd like to share?
I will make sure to post pics when it's all said and done. Maybe even some how-to pics depending on how it goes.

Hoodie

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
If I had a Golf I would just buy an OE or aftermarket solution. There are so many options that look nice and aren't rediculous looking like most of the aftermarket Jetta headlights.
Why bother hacking a set all to pieces when you could probably buy a used set of OE projector headlights and get a better/cleaner final result.

Sorry for the non-constructive post....Just my 2 cents. :(

And I kind of fell off the retrofit bandwagon so I am probably missing something....but why bi-xenons for a Golf? They have seperate high/lo bulbs unlike the Jetta? What are you going to do with the hi-beam part of the housing?

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
robhegedus said:
Well I've got some bi-xenon projectors, shrouds, etc on order and I'm going to be retrofitting them into my stock housings. I've done a lot of reading up on retrofitting, but was just wondering if anyone on here has retrofitted a MKIV golf headlight. I know the Jetta has been done forsure.
What projectors did you use? How did it turn out? Any hints/tips/tricks/photos you'd like to share?
I will make sure to post pics when it's all said and done. Maybe even some how-to pics depending on how it goes.
scroll vortex MKIV FAQ. A guy there did both a Jetta and a Golf retrofit.

Found it: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3115601

Last edited:

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Thanks alot for the link. That should help me out.

As for the bi-xenon's...why not? I do a lot of highway commuting and during the winter most of that is in the dark. So I'm going to have 4 high beams which should be pretty awesome.

As for not going with an aftermarket solution there were two reasons I guess:
1 - Anything with a decent projectors are very expensive and hard to find.
2 - Anything affordable has a terrible cutoff and beam pattern.
So I decided to get some quality components and try doing it myself. I know it's going to be a challenge but it should be pretty rewarding when it's done.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
my old Golf, I used a S2000 projector. They are one of the best projectors out there in low beam performance (second to the LS430).

Other good low beam projectors: TSX (great for the budget), RX330/350/400h AFS.

aRd

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf TDI PD
good on you, keep a build up thread on the forum updated.

DucMike

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Check out this thread on the Vortex as well. The important part starts about 2/3 of the way down the page, look for "brought one project home today". *Bi-xenon conversion*. If you have some time, check out the rest of the build. This guy has some serious talent.

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Hey guys...got the parts in the mail. Did a clear lens swap, then did a color mod...then fixed the hinge I broke on the cutoff shield doing the color mod...
Anywho...due to work schedule (work far up north in the boonies/far far away from my headlights) I haven't started the retrofit yet. Still keeping my eyes peeled in the plumbing sections of any hardware store I go into for the right pieces, but once I get started I'll keep you updated.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
FYI - The headlight lens will come off without baking it. Remove the metal clips, then with a medium steady pull, the rubber sealant will stretch, and tare. Do like a starfish.
The rubber sealant will reseal, too. But to be sure, I seal the seam with clear RTV silicone.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It's a good thing the Mk4s have clear lenses... looking at those pics mounting the projectors behind the lenses with the pattern on them makes way too much glare.

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
robhegedus said:
mctdi - Thanks for the tip...I'll give that a try and I'll only bake them if needed. I'm a little iffy about putting my headlights in the oven.
FYI - It is a bit slow going at first.

robhegedus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Me too! haha...Probably won't happen until xmas break though due to work, wife, etc., so we're still a little ways off yet. But like I said, I'd really like to document it so I'll make sure to take some pics.

unL33T

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I'd probably bake them if I were to take mine apart again. I did before but I don't think I did it long enough. I marked up the edges of the plastic pretty good prying it with stuff.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
it's a similar process anyway.

However, the limiting factor is the hole you can cut, because the vertical adjuster gets in the way-- it's about 2" off of center, which can create some interesting mounting problems, for the screw holes for many projectors out there

mctdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
unL33T said:
I'd probably bake them if I were to take mine apart again. I did before but I don't think I did it long enough. I marked up the edges of the plastic pretty good prying it with stuff.
I had got by with just few marks. The glass lens on one E-code was hit by a stone that put a hole in it. To cheep to by a new set, so I pulled the plastic lenses off the OEM units to put on the E-CODEs. It took about 20 min. per lens to slowly pull the lens off.