FS: 2004 Jetta Wagon GLX TDi 5 Speed

caferacer

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5 spd.

2004 Jetta Wagon GLX TDi 5 Speed, 287K highway miles.

$5600, pickup or ship from San Jose Ca.

Posting here before Ebay, prefer sale to someone who will take care of her. These forums are great for info, but can be a nightmare for sellers (my Passat sale drew a bunch of kickers and no buyers twice, so I finally sold it on Ebay for more $). So please do not waste my time if you can't pick it up in Ca. or arrange shipping without me handholding the whole thing. Yes, I can pick you up at SFO or San Jose airport. Thanks for being cool!

See link at bottom for lots of pictures.

Features: Reflex Silver, black leather interior, alloy wheels, sunroof, premium sound, heated seats, roof rails (Thule rack available), and more. Head rests for all seats, rear cargo cover, and front floor mats included. Pirelli Winter Carving Tires on steel rims also available (would ship from Pa.).

The best car I have ever owned! This TDi (my second after a 1997 Passat Wagon) has been exceptionally reliable and capable. Probably in better condition than most TDi’s with half the mileage. Single VW enthusiast owner from new with clean Carfax. Only selling because I now bike commute and have a larger MB wagon for weekend outings with my family (rear facing baby seat is a tight fit in the Jetta).

Mechanical: Purchased new in 2004 and have all service records. Run most of its life on Delvac and frequently on commercial B20 and B100 bio-diesel. 99% of miles have been on turnpikes at 70MPH @ 42+ MPG. This is attested to by original clutch! The engine is as strong as new, with minimum oil consumption. Fuel filter, air filter, wheel bearings, brakes, and timing belt regularly replaced. Only repair items have been cracking turbo pipe which was covered under warranty and replaced power steering parts due to running over rock which fell in front of car (insurance claim with records). New VW battery, the original lasted 280K! Good Michelin Tires on front, new generics on rear. Suspension components are starting to wear. Check engine light is on, code was for glow plug circuit, which has not been an issue in a warm climate. Missing splash guard under engine. No other known issues.

Exterior: Body condition is good, zero accidents. Some small chips, dents and scratches as shown in pictures. A couple small rust spots at wheel wells and behind license plate. Antenna is broken off. Scrapes on one alloy wheel, see photo.

Interior: Interior is in good condition. Never smoked in. A couple minor nicks and stains. All knobs and controls work perfectly.We do have dogs, so there is a bit of hair around despite my cleaning attempts. Ashtray cover is missing. Lights behind climate controls burned out. Latch on center armrest broken.

Titled, registered and insured in Pennsylvania where we have our main residence. Out of California sale preferred. Ca. sale would require smog inspection, even for a diesel…

VIN# WVWSR61J74W122690

Lots of Photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/112617380238170143913/albums/5871964005002924609

tdi-eyed

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta Wagon
Unalarmist FYI: The cams on 2004-2006 Golf or Jettas with the PD engine (BEW) can wear, as early as 80-100k. It is not the fault of the owner, but it is a common issue. Takes 15 mins to pull the valve cover to inspect the lobes and lifters (the valve cover bolts right back on). Bora, IDparts, and a few other known TDI parts houses carry a replacement kit with nice, high-quality replacement parts.

Last edited:

caferacer

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5 spd.
Replied. Thanks.

For others- no I have never had the cam inspected because I haven't had any reason to suspect any issues.

caferacer

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon 5 spd.
See op re: the fun of selling on this site...

I feel some odd reason to respond to the above poster. He pm'd me regarding the sale with a couple questions which I answered promptly, one about the cam, although since he already has a very similar car I doubt he was a real buyer.

Then he goes back and edits his post with an alarmist PSA type message about cams. If you search his other posts he seems obsessed with cam wear, I can only assume he got a bad one and that sucks for him. Since mine has gone almost 300k, I guess I have better luck, or that delvac is doing its job.

Anyway, anyone actually interested in the most trouble free tdi I've ever heard of, let me know. It goes on eBay Sunday.

Thanks, and stay cool.