The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
So in the pic above with all the oil, where else could that be coming from other than the intake?

I think I'm just too much of a surge junkie for the BV43. Could have been FOD, could have been surge.

Just need to fix the exhaust and button up.

I got curious to see what the VL would look like on there. Bolts and ports won't line up, especially without a spacer.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Back alive!

Sadly, back alive with only 17.5psi.

The whole reason I popped the hood in the first place was to disconnect the downpipe to redo the connections to the muffler then to the rest of the exhaust. I didn't take the time to cut and weld new connectors onto the muffler, instead it got replaced with an 18" long 2.5" tube. Wow that thing is throaty sounding and in the car, it is not much louder. Outside, completely different story.

NoJoke

Veteran Member
The VL is a great choice for drivability! Will you connect coolant to it? Also what will be your HP for the Porsche; unless you bought another VL?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I have a GTB2056VK that I'll stick on the Porsche. It solves my actuator problems, I can tuck it right next to the block and use a tubular manifold.

I don't plan on connecting coolant lines at the moment, but if I decide to, i can use the EGR coolant lines.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Sorry, I have had misc things holding me up. I had to swap out the window regulator panel in the drivers door, the front doors gave me hell lining them up, the window regulator is now giving me hell so I need to go back in for a third time. I didn't 100% finish it but I'm driving it and its nice :) I might drop by to kill some time tomorrow if you are around and you can check it out in person.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I haven't done the front window regulators but after tearing apart the rear PS door to fix a lock assembly I've gotten pretty proficient at disassembling the rear doors...What a PITA the 1st two times. The 3rd time was a snap. Those plastic roll pins can be the make or break of what you think of the job. BTW 3 months after doing the lock the plastic roll pins pulled out and the window dropped. Putting back in was simple but this time I put some RTV on them to help slide them in and hold them in after drying.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Interesting, and I totally forgot to put those back in place on the front doors. That little bracket in the front doesn't really make much sense as to why its there. I'll see how much noise it makes tomorrow.

I finally got the front drivers regulator situated. Its the cheap aftermarket regulator I have in there, it didn't give me any grief until I put it in this new door. The glass actually fell off today right when I got home.

How does the rear door regulator panel come out? Last time I pulled the door card, I thought it was riveted to the door. You mention plastic rivets, I don't remember seeing this.

Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
There was one rivot that needed to be drilled out on the rears. The plastic roll pins hold the window to the regulator.

The lock assemble has to be removed with the window regulator which requires you to pull the door handle.

There is a how to on www.passatworld.com that explains what has to be done to pull the regulator. It was a big help

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Started the piping for my FMIC finally

Also nearly completed the transformation

It needs a wash :)

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
I always like to see a fmic installation that keeps the oem look.......very nice.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
FMIC isn't installed with the bumper cover on yet, but it will fit and hide it nicely.

I now have the turbo adapter flange all set up, I just need to port the manifold and do a little work since I am running the trapezoid TD manifold upside down.

The inlet is angled toward the turbo so I could offset the turbo farther out to clear that top bolt. Only a slight amount of porting is needed on the turbo side.

Bolted up to my PD130 head for demo purposes

Shown with PD150 intake and the 2-3" reducing elbow for the TIP

Sits just below the bottom of the head.

I have a 3" 45* aluminum tube on order that will finish off the TIP with an AEM dryflow air filter for the end. The stock airbox will not fit.
I will be building a custom intake, not using the PD150 intake. I started gutting a PD100 intake which I will finish.

One last order to place with ID parts and I'll have all my gear ready to go for when I find a long weekend to get going on it.

I need to find a hone and ring compressor still.

I have a PD130 oil cooler that won't get used on that motor, Do I need anything special to install that cooler on this motor?

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Thanks Matt. I'll probably grab one of their valve guide reamers too. Any recommendations on ring compressors? I know you like the ARP style or total seal ring compressors, I'm thinking about getting one that is adjustable to do my BHW pistons too for my PD build.

I got my AEM dryflow filter and 3" 45* mandrel bend. I just moved everything from one horizontal surface to another horizontal surface to use that bench pictured above for porting this manifold and my AHU head that should be here within a week.

Last edited:

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really like that adapter. Who made it. Its so simple and clean.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I spent a few hours heavily porting the manifold and a few minutes port matching the turbo. I wish I had taken a before pic of the manifold. I probably widened the outlet 1/2" and opened it up as much as I could. It is still more restrictive than I hoped for. I think the smallest cross section is in the collector area.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Sad day...
Heading south on a 4 lane highway out of town, car in front of me signals to take a left, slows down. I slow down with it, lady behind me is not paying any attention, speeding toward me, looks up, hits brakes, steers right, almost hits the ditch, steers left and BAM!

I felt ok but my back is starting to ache.

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
That'll buff right out.

And you just put 50+ hours into beautifying it with new interior and body panels. Such a shame.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh that suckz. Time to find a wagon. Good luck on trying to value that car.

Heal up and get ready for a battle