Official list of HPFP Failures

Nickofari

I thought a nice list summarizing every failure reported here could maybe be useful to some people here for myriad reasons. I'll use the following format:

User: Nickofari
Car: 2009 Jetta TDI JSW, blue, 6 speed manual
Build: July 2008
Failure: December 2009
Mileage: 22,000 miles
Outcome: Insurance covered it. Dealership contributed to deductible
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=268190
Apologies for being (very) late to the game here, but wanted to provide a point of clarification/update to my experience.

First, I am not sure my issue can be technically characterized as a HPFP failure. The key diagnosis for the entire fuel system replacement was, "Fuel Contamination," where the canister had rust in it - and the fuel that was extracted from the tank and fuel canister had some water in it. It appeared as though it had been in the system long enough to rust the inside of the canister. That said, I believe the HPFP was replaced as part of the repair (which was covered by my insurance company).

Second, I just hit 40K miles, and have had the fuel canister inspected at 10K intervals to look for any sign of contamination/rust/HPFP failure. Nothing so far.

Last, I have all of the fuel system parts stored in my garage. I really don't want them. Anyone in this thread interested in taking them? I am in Southern New Hampshire.

Regards,
Nick

pjcan

TDI
2001 Golf TDI, silver and 1996 Passat TDI Blue
HPFP on 2009 Jetta

Year - 2009
Build Date -
Model - Jetta
Tranny - DSG
Mileage - 20,900
Fuel Source - Chevron Station in Napa, CA, almost always the same pump!
Additives - No
Problem - Driving home from work, passed slower car with no problem, then sudden loss of power, car does 40 mph only, Glow Plug warning lamp comes on, limp home. Next day drive to work car starts but no power still, warning on dash. Make to work but it won't start again. Call Dealer and they send Tow Truck. They repeatedly tell my wife, her car, that she must have put gasoline in it. She has had a 96 Passat TDI for 10 years and then this Jetta for 2 years and has NEVER even come close to putting gas in. Long story short they do the styro foam cup test, in my presence, no melty.
BTW - I saw the metal particles in the fuel in the cup,
I mentioned that this has been a recurring problem of the HPFP and is on the TDI club site. From that point on they have done the right thing providing a brand new Subaru Impresa as a loaner, keeping us updated, ordering the parts in and putting their best, obsessive mechanic on it. It happened 18 days ago and the car is ready today, Dec. 7, 2010. Complete replacement of the Fuel System from tank to injectors. Thank you Hanlee VW in Napa and VW of America!

Now my wife has to get her trust back, she loves (loved?) this car!

Dealer - Hanlee of Napa, CA

Status - done

smokeskleen

TDI
Audi A3
HPFP Failure - 2010 Audi A3 TDI

Year: 2010
Build Date: Update
Later (Ordered 12/2009, Delivered 03/2010)
Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI

Tranny: S tronic
Mileage: 11,300 miles
Diesel Fuel Source: Valero, Rotten Robbie
Additives: (Yes/No) No
Problem: HPFP Failure - Dealer says “Fuel pump exploded sending chard's of metal throughout fuel system”, Sudden loss of power, glow plug warning lamp on then minutes later stalled and unable to start again, towed to dealership, approx 150 miles from last fuel up until failure.

Dealer: Audi Livermore
As of 12/10 dealer ordering parts for entire fuel system and repairing under warranty
. When I ask the dealer "What are the chances of the fuel pump failing again?" Dealers response was "You have a better chance of winning the lottery!"

Last edited:

iwegian

TDI
2009 Sportwagon
Year: 2009
Build Date:
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagon TDI

Tranny: 6M
Mileage:25500
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell at home, on road mostly Shell. BP in the tank when it failed
Additives: (Yes/No) no
Problem: no problems, just returned from 750 mile round trip. Filled with BP ULSD at half tank. Previous was Murphy station. All Shell for 10 receipts before that. 25 miles after return flashing glow plug, wife was near an exit and able to limp off freeway while cars whizzed past. Towed to dealer.
Dealer: Boucher VW Franklin Wisconsin
Status: Still pending after they held up a coke bottle filled with "funny colored" Diesel fuel (my sample from tank was not funny colored) stating that means it will not be covered by VW. No testing done yet. Have called VWoA, filed with NHSTA. Last 2 fillups stations told about "contamination" they report no other complaints. Holding off on Attorney General and BBB etc until I hear from VWoA. Am already warning everyone I know, getting many horror stories from coworkers etc of VW weaseling out of warranty work. Too bad. Great car...but I don't trust this car anymore...not to mention VW
Well, we won the lottery. This car after having fuel system totally replaced AT MY COST at Boucher VW in Franklin Wisconsin (they scratched the fenders really bad during the fix, left the seat up and the rear carpet up so the tank was exposed and it would not start when we picked it up) has failed again about 50 to 75 miles later. My suspicion is that this rather questionable service department neglected to prime the pump/get air out of cannister....which is why it would not start. Again the HPFP replaced. This time they did not replace the fuel system, only the pump.

Whodathunkit50

TDI
2010 JSW
10' JSW Contaminated fuel = HFPF failure

Build Date:
Make/Model: JSW
Mileage: 29,000
Diesel Fuel Source: BP in north Florida coming back from WV....
Additives: No
Problem: (Possible HPFP failure, fuel canister rusted and dealer says the injectors are probably (not yet tested) toast as well.
Dealer: One in Miami
Status: Still pending, Insurance is currently involved and as always there are plenty of 'out of pocket' expenses. Fuel samples are at the lab... waiting on results, plenty of water and particulate matter was evident in the sample from the fuel filter bowl, I then made the realization that the majority of the contamination in the fuel filter canister was left there by the mechanic who had made an attempt to clean surface rust from the canister and had not drained and flushed it.

Last edited:
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
2010 JSW TDI - HPFP Failure on Jan 21, 2011

Build Date:
First set of JSW TDI shipped to US Oct/Nov 2009

Tranny: ?

Mileage: 24,000

Diesel Fuel Source: 90% Shell in Houston, Tx

Problem: Metal Contamination of Fuel (Complete failure HPFP & Fuel Injectors) Dealer in process of complete replacement of Tank all the way down to Fuel Injectors
($6K-$8K Cost)
Dealer: One in Houston, TX

Picture of Fuel Filter (more pictures to follow as I get them) - Lots of shiny metal flakes and rusty/brown particles
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...FuelFilter.jpg

Last edited:

AMT1281

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Year:2009
Build Date:Not Sure (still at dealer)

Make/Model:VW Jetta
Tranny:6M
Mileage: Approx. 25000
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil
Additives: (Yes/No) NO
Problem: Water in fuel and filter,Fuel pump failure
Dealer: Langan VW Glastonbury,CT
Status: Had towed to dealership after dying at an intersection(drove for 40 min. on highway before that with no problems and then sat in garage for 30 min. before dying on way to work) on 2/3/11,heard today that there was water in fuel and ice in fuel filter,fuel pump blew.$6000 to $8000 to repair.Waiting for authorization from corporate to continue.

Matt_Man

TDI
09 Jetta
incedent from may of 2010

Year:2009
Build Date:11-08
Make/Model:
jetta

Tranny: DSG
Mileage: 25,737
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell, Exxon, bp
Additives: (No)
Problem: Emission light came on, dealer diagnosed as a fuel pressure sensor. dealer replace fuel sensor a few days later. About week later the emission light came on again. Dealer found contamination in fuel system (they showed me a picture of a component (filter housing?)it looked brown and they said it was rust, though I don't think it looked like rust), they said it was due to "bad gas".
Dealer: Fitzgerald, Frederick MD

cankicker

TDI
09 Sportwagen DSG
Build Date: not sure, at dealer
Make/Model: Jetta Sportwagen
Mileage: 24650
Diesel Fuel Source: (BP, Sunoco, Interstate)
Additives: (No)
Problem: Was running great, then suddenly died (Glow plug and Check Engine). Towed to VW and will cost 7k to replace clean and replace the entire fuel system due to metal shavings that the dealer claims happened when gasoline was introduced into the tank.
Dealer: KING Volkswagen, Gaithersburg, MD
Status: Sitting in lot, awaiting VW case manager review since dealer will not honor warranty (stay away from King. Horrible service and attitude).
Dealer claims this is not covered by warranty. Contacted VW America and they have assigned a "case manager" to look into it. If they rule against me, I will be seeking legal assistance and selling as soon as possible. It's a shame since I really liked my Wagen, but will be afraid to travel knowing bad fuel on the road could leave me stranded again and then who will fix this?

The car has had a lot of issues since new. I had the DSG recall at around 10k when they did the first service. The at 20k they pinched the oil filter O ring and lost all oil on my garage floor the next day. Took it back and they replaced the ring and oil. The next day again there was more oil, and they re-replaced the ring. A few days later, I took it back due to a burnt smell to find out the oil pan blanket was soaked. Took a few days to get the part in and return to replace. Now this.

Last edited:

asrnj77

TDI
Jetta TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
11,080 miles
DSG Transmission

The car got about $20 of diesel from Lukoil on rt.9 in Howell, NJ. My wife drove around for about 75 miles. That night I get in the car and drive 25 yards and the car dies. Won't restart. Call VW roadside assistance and they tow it World VW in Neptune, NJ. The service department says bad fuel is the culprit. Metal shavings found in the tank and fuel lines. They quote me a repair bill of $4700 and say it is not covered under warranty. I call my insurance company and they send an investigator out to sample the fuel. World VW says they already drained the tank and don't have a sample. Insurance agrees to pay them $5200 (with me paying a $500 deductible). Call the shop today and the price continues to creep up to $5331.74). They said they flushed and cleaned the tank, replaced the HPFP, new injectors and fuel filter and flushed the line. They happily told me that they did a software recall that VW had put out unrelated to my issue. Now I am out $ and didn't have the car for 3 weeks. They are not winning any new fans here

ubercam

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf Match TDI 1.9L (BXE) M5
*Note: This is all second hand info from my parents over the phone

Year:
Build Date: ?
Make/Model: Jetta Wagon
Mileage: ~45,000km
Diesel Fuel Source: Ste. Anne Co-Op
Problem: The gas station attendant filled the car with gas despite being told to fill with diesel. My mom must have paid for someone else's diesel fill and didn't realize and drove home (1-2 mins, 1.2km). Almost immediately the car felt sluggish and wasn't running right but she managed to get parked in the garage. She got called in to work later that night and the car wouldn't start and all kinds of warnings and lights came on.
Dealer: St. James VW, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Status: The next morning, my parents called the gas station and the owner didn't believe them until he reviewed his security tapes and saw the attendant grab the gas hose and start filling... He quickly arranged a tow to a repair shop and they checked it out and confirmed gas in the tank. He also called Autopac (insurance) and they are handling the claim and are towing the car to Autohaus VW in Winnipeg for analysis, but last I heard, it hadn't arrived there yet. If the repairs are too costly, Autopac will write it off and if they're going to repair it, they'll pay then bill the gas station's business liability insurance for their costs. In the meantime my mom has a rental through her loss of use cover and the gas station's owner is paying the extra costs for the 0 deductible coverage out of pocket. He's an incredibly nice guy and has been extremely helpful throughout this ordeal and I wouldn't want to dissuade anyone from buying fuel from him so I'm not going to mention exactly which gas station aside from the fuel source. It was a simple, but costly mistake by his employee.

I'll post updates as and when.

Update (Apr 1, 2011): The gas station's insurance company accepted full responsibility. The car finally got to Autohaus VW in Winnipeg. Autopac sent down their own mechanic to talk with VW's guys. Since the car was warning about extremely high oil pressure, they're not sure how or if it will even run after the fuel system is replaced at $6000 in parts and $2000-$3000 in labour. Autopac concluded that they will go ahead and replace the fuel system. Once they do that, they'll see if it'll start or run properly.. basically $9000 for a diagnostic test. If it fails, it's a write off.

My mom wants it written off regardless because she doesn't want to argue with VW in the future about any trouble with the engine and it's highly unlikely that they'll honour any future warranty claims on the engine due to the circumstances. She bought an expensive extended warranty when she bought the car but doesn't want it completely neutered through no fault of her own. If the car will definitely be fixed, she wants the warranty to be underwritten by someone guaranteeing that any future claims will be handled without fuss or argument.

Update (Apr 8, 2011): The car was fixed by Autohaus and paid for by the gas station's insurance. My mom picked it up and got a flashing glow plug light and check engine light and message saying "Major Fault: Workshop" after a few km. It was running, but in limp mode. She got it home and I hooked it up VCDS and found that the turbo actuator was shot. It was towed back to the dealer and replaced under warranty. I drove the car afterwards and it drives like new. Fingers crossed it stays that way. VW says there's no reason why the warranty won't be honoured, and unless they were just being nice due to the circumstances (doubtful!), they actually meant it.

Last edited:

dr.freud

TDI
JSW
Build Date: 1/09
Make/Model: Sportwagen
Mileage: 17K
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell & Chevron primarily
Problem: HPFP & related parts
Dealer: VW dealer in NorCal.
JSW failed/stalled entering intersection without warning, "workshop" light illuminated. Towed to dealer and was diagnosed and repaired under warranty. Pump, injectors, tank, lines, etc. Service writers didn't have too much knowledge or information on the subject but were helpful, hopefully their mechanics were more informed on these systems. This occurred less than 500 miles after same dealership performed 20K service & fuel filter replacement. I had requested to be sure VCDS was used to prime the fuel system, and to advise me on condition of the used filter. They reported back that everything looked fine at that service. NHTSA report filed. Part # on replacement pump listed as typical 03L130755A on supplied service invoice. 9 calendar days start-to-finish on repairs.

Last edited:

patdavid

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
Year: 2011
Build Date: not sure
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 2303
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Chevron/Texaco
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP failed (per dealer on phone)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Dean McCrary VW - Mobile, AL
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) still pending

rte2MA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Build date: 03/10
Make/Model: Golf TDI 2-door
Mileage: 17500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil in MA
Additives: None
Problem: First failure in Dec 2010 on a highway going uphill. Car gradually lost power and stopped - felt like it ran out of fuel. Towed it back to the dealer. The dealership could not reproduce the problem and said maybe it was a frozen fuel line (temps were below 10 degrees). I drove it without any problems for another 6 weeks and then the exact same thing happened at 18800 miles. Towed it back to the dealer. This time they gave me a loaner and held onto my car. They were eventually able to reproduce the problem after letting the engine run a few hours and they determined that the fuel pump was at fault. They replaced the fuel pump under warranty. Bad fuel not suspected - excellent service.
Dealer: Noyes VW, Keene NH
Status: At 23500 miles the glow plug light came on along with a brief loss of power going up another hill. But this time the car seemed to recover. Took it into the dealer and they decided to replace fuel pump relays which had to be ordered. I drove the car for another 700 miles without any problems before taking it back for the new relays. However, the check engine light did go on the day before I took it in. They cleared the code, acknowledged that some cars were having fuel pump issues, and told me to get in touch right away if anything else went wrong.

TurboKid

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen 6MT
2011 JSW failure under 2k miles and first month

Build Date: unknown, at dealer currently
Make/Model: VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 1,733
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Kum & Go and King Soopers
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Stalled out at 70mph flat highway, wouldn't start for 45min. Dealer said metal shavings, will need entire new fuel system. Said no water or gas in tank. Told me it was a bad pump from VW and promised I will not have the issue again.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Ehrlich Volkswagen/Nissan in Greeley, CO
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket): still pending, dealer said all will be covered under warranty, just waiting for repair to be finished. also repairing moon roof getting stuck for 4th time.

Car was purchased with 6 miles on it on April 5th, 2011. Car had this issue on May 1st, 2011. Moon roof panoramic has also gotten stuck open for 4th time, replacing it while fixing this HPFP issue. Dealer told me nobody else on the west coast has even had this problem, just east coast where they have poor fuel... I don't buy that one bit. Found 3 other Colorado people that have had this issue.

NC Chicklady

TDI
09 Jetta Sportwagen
Build Date:
01/09

Make/Model: Jetta Sportswagen
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 39269
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)Varied. Just fueled @ Gulf before died
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Direct Quote from Service Order - "Performed GFF Found DTCP0087, HPFP Internal Wear. Replaced Fuel System Per TAC Case.
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Hilton Head VW, Hardeeville, SC
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Car repaired - VOA paid entire bill

upsbroke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 NB and '13 JSW
Another one bites the dust!

YEAR-2009
BUILD DATE-unknown-still at dealer
MAKE/MODEL- Jetta Sportwagen tdi
TRANSMISSION-DSG
MILEAGE- est. 38000
FUEL SOURCE- 3 fills that day but last was KUM & GO McAlester, Okla.
ADDITIVE-no
PROBLEM- 30k service three weeks before. ECM had been remapped about two weeks earlier and a check engine light appeared and stayed on. Glow plug light occasionally showed when engine started but would go away when I shut down and reset. Installer deleted the remap but CEL and glowplug issue remained. Car ran fine without issue with the CEL on but power was lessened when the glowplug light stayed on.
I was on a start of a month long vacation when the issues started and drove the car without problem until five days ago driving through Oklahoma. I was driving at highway speed when the glowplug light came on again. I pulled to the side of the road so I could shut down and reset so the glowplug light would go away. As I pulled over-I could tell I had lost all power. After that it would not start again.
DEALER/STATUS The car was towed to Tulsa VW where we just managed to get it in before closing Sat. for Memorial Day weekend (until Tuesday). Tuesday afternoon- I was informed today by Doug-the service writer-that the HPFP had self-destructed and that VW had been informed and the repair would be no charge. They said the fuel tank and (I believe) fuel lines would be flushed and the rest replaced.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Build Date:
08/08

Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 44,300
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.)Varied.
Additives: (Yes/No) PS-DK from 1st fill, B2 since about 22k miles
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) Cranked, but no start. No debris in fuel system. Fuel tested good. No DTCs. HPFP had 48 bars at crank but should be about 260 bars. HPFP and pressure retention valve replaced.
At 26k miles had aluminum metal specks in FF canister. Dealer replaced FF and checked at 30k service. Specks diminished significantly and were virtually gone when I changed FF at 40k miles.

Dealer:San Tan VW, Gilbert, AZ
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Car repaired - VOA paid entire bill[/QUOTE]

SFOPilot

TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2011 Golf TDI
2011 Golf TDI HPFP Failure

Build Date: Not Sure Where To Find This
Make/Model: Golf TDI 4Door
Tranny: DSG, 6M DSG Transmission
Mileage: 2811
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Problem: Was just told that HPFP failed, Gas Tank, Pump, Injectors to be replaced.
Dealer: Royal Motors San Francisco
Status: Still Pending, told it may be up to 3 weeks for parts. Told VW will pay $25 per day for rental. Have to pay the rental charge (flat fee of $30 per day) and then submit claim to VW for reimbursement.

This problem occurred while driving to work in San Francisco. The engine quit while driving at about 30 mph, in the middle of the street and could not be restarted. Had to be lift-towed to dealer. Service manager's first question was; "Did you put regular gas in tank or lend the car to someone who may have?" I answered "NO". He asked if I had a receipt and I said that I never get receipts.

Later that day he called to say HPFP had to be replaced and probably injectors. 2 Days later he called to say the fuel tank would also have to be replaced. Now I had gone back to the service shop 3 times since this happened on June 21. How he knows all this without taking apart the car is beyond me. The car has been sitting in the exact same spot outside of the garage for the last 4 days, untouched. I have been there 3 of the last 4 days!

The afternoon of the 21st I went back to the service shop to draw fuel from the tank because I knew, after the service manager's questions, that VW would try to screw me. The manager said everyone was on lunch break so I should give him the gas can and come back later. I said no way! I explained the following to him:

I had a 2010 Golf TDI and brought it to this particular service shop for a door that was misaligned 2 months after purchasing it. 2 days later I picked up the car. 2 weeks later when having the car washed the manager of the car wash showed me the car had been repainted AT THE DOOR WHERE THE WORK WAS DONE! Royal motors said they did not paint the car, the dealer where I purchased the car said they had not done so before I purchased the car and no damage had occurred at the dock on arrival. VW Customer Service actually told me that maybe the car had been over-sprayed AT THE SUPERMARKET! Needless to say, they never agreed to any liability.

Royal Motors is the closest service shop to where my 2011 Golf quit running so it had to be towed there.

I called Shell Oil to see about getting the receipt for the fuel I put in 3 days before the car quit and was told to go back to the Shell station because they should still have it in their computer system. The receipt clearly shows I used Diesel fuel. I am not going to provide this receipt to the service shop as requested because I want to see if they are going to treat me fairly or try to screw me. At that point I will produce the receipt.

I will keep everyone updated on my NEW 2011 GOLF TDI HPFP failure.

Just filed NHTSA Safety Complaint, 25 June 2011.

Last edited:

chummer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 A3 TDI Premium Plus/Titanium Package
2010 a3 tdi 28,040k

Year:2010
Build Date: ??? currently at the dealer

Make/Model: Audi A3 TDI
Tranny: DSG, 6M
Mileage: 28,040
Diesel Fuel Source: 76, occasionally chevron
Additives: NO

Problem: Going on to the on ramp of the 110 N in Los Angeles, at about 25-30mph the engine coil light came on and started to flash, almost imediately the car stalled. Tried to crank it a few times but it will not start, got it towed to Audi of Downtown LA. (11pm). Next day, their mechanic checked the car and said it was bad diesel fuel that cause the problem, they also found metal shavings. They sent the filter and fuel to Audi for testing. Everything was covered under my warranty, so from the tank to the injectors and anything that's in between will all be new. Car is still in the shop until next week so we'll find out how it goes. Rental and loaners was taken care of by Audi, haven't spent a dime on that.

My question is, with all the metal shavings that was in the fuel, will it affect the cyclinders?

I'm definitely getting the extended warranty of this car.

Dealer: Audi of Downtown Los Angeles

Status: As of 29June2011, the car is sitting at the dealer awaiting parts.

rte2MA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Double HPFP Failure

Build date: 03/10
Make/Model: Golf TDI 2-door
Mileage: 17500
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobil in MA
Additives: None
Problem: First failure in Dec 2010 on a highway going uphill. Car gradually lost power and stopped - felt like it ran out of fuel. Towed it back to the dealer. The dealership could not reproduce the problem and said maybe it was a frozen fuel line (temps were below 10 degrees). I drove it without any problems for another 6 weeks and then the exact same thing happened at 18800 miles. Towed it back to the dealer. This time they gave me a loaner and held onto my car. They were eventually able to reproduce the problem after letting the engine run a few hours and they determined that the fuel
pump was at fault. They replaced the fuel pump under warranty. Bad fuel not suspected - excellent service.
Dealer: Noyes VW, Keene NH
Status: At 23500 miles the glow plug light came on along with a brief loss of power going up another hill. But this time the car seemed to recover. Took it into the dealer and they decided to replace fuel pump relays which had to be ordered. I drove the car for another 700 miles without any problems before taking it back for the new relays. However, the check engine light did go on
the day before I took it in. They cleared the code, acknowledged that some cars were having fuel pump issues, and told me to get in touch right away if anything else went wrong.
UPDATE: After continued limp mode episodes (first the fuel pump relays were replaced, then the injectors were replaced) I had three separate limp mode episodes within 30 minutes on a twisty highway with blind curves and no shoulder to pull off onto. That was on June 5. And that's when I started talking to the sales dept. about making this right. With 5 service visits on record for the same problem, we were clearly in lemon law territory. The dealership treated me well and within 3 weeks I was driving a new 2011 Golf TDI. Noyes VW went out of their way to give me a happy ending and I can't say enough about their sales and service. I highly recommend them.

In the meantime their service department went ahead with a second HPFP replacement on my 2010 Golf but the service manager told me they were still seeing limp mode after extensive road testing and they thought something more than the HPFP might be involved.

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Build Date: ? (bought it in late Dec 2009)
Mileage: ~ 45k
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobile mostly, some BP
Problem: Pending diagnosis...first day of my vacay, on a 500 mile trip to Florida. 115 miles into the trip lost power while at 70mph on cruise control. Luckily I could safely get off the road. Glow plug flashing, display some sort of engine fault or failure. Wouldn't crank up after. Instantly knew this was HPFP failure. Car towed back to NC. Here is the kicker....first thing the dealer says over the phone "did you just recently get gas?" Already trying to place the blame on me. Luckily it is very clear that I had over 200 miles run on this fuel with no recent fill-up.
Dealer: It is at Leith VW in Cary NC.
Status: Waiting on a phone call. Will update with more info. Have no contacted VOA or the Highway folks yet due to not having confirmation of diagnosis.

Alright VW. Time to step up to the plate. This is my first VW and I have been in love until now. If you handle this right, I may buy another. If you handle this wrong, I will spend all of my power preventing people from buy a VW. Your call.

JCTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW, Platinum Gray/Art Gray
2009 JSW HPFP replaced

Build Date: will check
Tranny: DSG, 6M: 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began): 24,000 approx.
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.): BP

Additives: (Yes/No): No

Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP started making a noise, or the engine? Low humming. It was getting louder with time so I mentioned it to the dealer when I brought the car in for the factory recall update to the onboard computer.

Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho): Douglas VW in Summit, NJ

Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket): Dealer replaced the fuel pump after running some tests that VW asked for. VW paid for repair. The fuel line was left intact but they have assured me (I asked a few times) that no metal was found in filter.

y0bailey

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI Sportwagen
Build Date: ? (bought it in late Dec 2009)
Mileage: ~ 45k
Diesel Fuel Source: Mobile mostly, some BP
Problem: Pending diagnosis...first day of my vacay, on a 500 mile trip to Florida. 115 miles into the trip lost power while at 70mph on cruise control. Luckily I could safely get off the road. Glow plug flashing, display some sort of engine fault or failure. Wouldn't crank up after. Instantly knew this was HPFP failure. Car towed back to NC. Here is the kicker....first thing the dealer says over the phone "did you just recently get gas?" Already trying to place the blame on me. Luckily it is very clear that I had over 200 miles run on this fuel with no recent fill-up.
Dealer: It is at Leith VW in Cary NC.
Status: Waiting on a phone call. Will update with more info. Have no contacted VOA or the Highway folks yet due to not having confirmation of diagnosis.

Alright VW. Time to step up to the plate. This is my first VW and I have been in love until now. If you handle this right, I may buy another. If you handle this wrong, I will spend all of my power preventing people from buy a VW. Your call.

UPDATE: VW is paying the bill. Dealer quoted $8k. They gave me almost ZERO trouble. Only complaint is that a few parts are on national backorder and it may be 10 days before the parts are even in. No big deal, I can ride my bike for a few days...especially to save $8000.

Thank you VW. Service manager said they are installing a new pump design. I started looking at new cars this week since I was for sure just going to sell it after they fixed it, but damn nothing can compete with the TDI. There simply are no cars that are wagons with runner bars on the roof and get decent gas mileage.

jdeweyl

TDI
2010 Jetta
HPFP Failure

Year:2010
Build Date: Oct 1, 2009
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Tranny: 6 Speed Auto Tiptronic
Mileage: 33,500
Diesel Fuel Source: Thorntons & Speedway
Additives: Never
Problem: HPFP failed resulting in metal shavings throughout the fuel system. The glow plug light started flashing while I was driving and the car lost most acceleration. It drove for a couple of miles before the engine light came on. A few minutes later the engine died and would not restart. I was alone without a cell phone sitting in a left turn lane. Fortunately, there was little traffic and I was able to get the car rolling down hill and into an Amoco station. However, to get there I had to cross two lanes of traffic and merge into a third while coasting.
Dealer: Pugi Volkswagen, Downers Grove, IL
Status: Dealer said the HPFP disintegrated and the entire fuel system needs to be replaced. He said everything is covered under warranty. Parts need to be ordered and original HPFP needs to be sent to VOA. It can't be disassembled by the dealer. I reported to NHTSA Monday and was contacted by them on Tuesday. They sent an email requesting the following info:
1. What is the name and address/city of the dealer your vehicle is currently at awaiting repairs?
2. Do you know the status of repairs (i.e. maybe they’ve ordered parts and waiting for them to arrive?)
3. Do you know if a diesel fuel sample was taken from your vehicle’s fuel tank? Was it ok?
4. What service station(s) do you fill up at for diesel fuel and what is the address of the service station(s)?
5. Prior to the incident date, when was the last date that you filled up with diesel fuel?
6. Do you keep fueling receipts?
7. Is this the first diesel vehicle you have ever owned?
8. Was this the first time your vehicle has stalled (engine died) on you?
They also asked if I would allow a fuel sample to be tested. They said I would be informed of the test results when available.
I also called VOA to report the incident.

8/6/11-I stopped at the dealer today to get some things from my car. The service manager said the NHTSA stopped in and pulled fuel sample. He said the problems with the HPFP are believed to be caused by additives used in the US and Canada.
8/12/11-I picked up my Jetta today. Dealer was good to work with. I had a loaner while my car was being repaired. From what I can make out on the invoice, nothing was repaired, everything from the HPFP to the fuel tank was replaced. My fingers are crossed since my warranty has only 2500 miles remaining.

Last edited:

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Build Date: 02/2010
Make/Model: Jetta TDI
Mileage: 27,800
Diesel Fuel Source: Shell
Additives: Never
Modifications: None
Problem: The glow plug light started flashing while I was driving and the car lost power. Pulled into nearby shopping center, called VW Assistance and they dispatched a tow. Car arrived at the dealer the next day, they called and confirmed HPFP issue.

Dealer: Dirito VW, Walnut Creek CA
Status: 8/6/11: Dealer called today and confirmed HPFP issue. I should get more details and a rental on Monday.
Note: just bought this car 4 days ago. Original owner had never heard of HPFP issue. Before selling it to me, the owner filled up at the same Shell station he's always used. I was only 3/4 through the tank so never refilled.

Last edited:

PlanoWagen

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen
HPFP took a dive in Aggieland

Build Date: March 2009
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 41070
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Exxon
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP Failure (flashed "Engine Fault Workshop" as it shut down and coasted to a halt)
Dealer: (ex. SmokeAndMirrors VW or VW of Fallacy Idaho) Towed to Garlyn Shelton, Bryan, TX
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket) Still pending. Parts ordered; will likely be repaired in about 10 days. Service writer says they checked fuel for evidence of RUG, finding none. Took a canister of fuel to send to VW of A. Costs of repairs to be covered by VWofA. Not sure yet who will cover the $$$$ of rental car, tow service, return trip of 400+ miles to get it when it is repaired (suspect that coverage will be out of my pocket). Darned inconvenient and unsafe being left out in the 105 F Texas heat with a couple of passengers.

drckol

TDI
09 Jetta TDI 05 Passat TDI
09 Jetta TDI. 47,500 mi. Glow plug and engine light on. Drive to OReilleys for diagnosis. Fuel pump problem. Car would not start. Towedto Autobahn VW in Fort Worth. HPFP failure. Would need major repair as all the above cases. Scotty, a tech there, was very polite and knowledgeable.Said he would call me aftertalking to VW of N.A.. Called me back and said I wascovered underwarranty. Very good outfit Autobahn of Fort Worth.

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Build Date: ??? 2009
Make/Model: Jetta Sedan
Tranny: DSG, 6M 6M
Mileage: (actual miles at time of problem or when problem began) 32XXX
Diesel Fuel Source: (Shell, Exxon, etc.) Thronton's (local brand)
Problem: (HPFP failed, fuel canister rusted, etc. Give as much factual data as you can.) HPFP Failure. 9/2/11. Wife driving, had loss of power, flashing glowplug light, and "critical engine fault" message. Parked and shut down while still running. VCDS details low fuel rail pressure error message.
Dealer: Towed to Don Jacobs VW, Lexington, KY
Status: (still pending, dealer fixed everything, resolved, dealer refused, paid out of pocket)Pending, VW being jerks
Costs of repairs to be covered by VWofA. Service manager and I agree fuel pump is failing. He just wants to order the parts and replace the fuel system. Metal found throughout fuel system. However, VWoA made them do multiple fuel filter changes, and the codes cleared and power came back. Dealer ordered to return it to us. Plan is to run it until system fails. Metal in system well documented on repair order. Picked up 9/6/11
UPDATE: 09/11/11 Car failed while driving, being towed to dealership as I type......fixed, failed fuel pump relay. Meanwhile tick, tick, tick........

Last edited: