VNT17 vs GT1749VB

phaser

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD - 490k
I was surfing KermaTDI website and noted the descriptions of the BEW and ALH turbos.

VNT17 (BEW) vs GT1749VB (ALH) - both versions of the European PD 150 turbo.

So excluding the plumbing and actuator differences, are these turbos identical?

Edit: Yes they are.

Last edited:

Norwescan

TDI
2002 Audi S4 Avant V6 TDI 2.5L 180hp
Rather than making my Canadian TDI go fast with euro goodies, I went to Europe to buy me something that I could never build. A 2003 VW Sharan 1.9L AUY tdi which is a PD115 with 6 speed manual and 4 motion. Very rare build. Bought in 2018 while I was in DE and used it to tour Europe. Brought it back to Canada and has been an awesome vehicle, putting loads odometer.

Fast forward till today, it’s been flawless but a tad tired. Now 327,000 kms and turbo is screeching occasionally and it’s time. Can I use a modified BEW turbo if I retain vacuum control, should I buy a performance turbo which is really what I have. I believe it’s a GT1749V or VNT17.

Sharan is plenty fast and not looking for anything but to keep this gem going.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Vnt 17 is a gt1749v, bew has a gt1749va, and a gtb1749vb is a different kettle of fish!
I’ve got 2 or 3 of those GT1749v’s. Externally looks just like a vnt15. I heard they can run 21psi, true? The one on my truck was confused and tuned as a vnt15 and spikes at 21, runs at 18 max.
Maybe could go a little more

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Been reading so much about turbos this morning my head is about to explode. 01 with stock turbo and only 110hp injectors and likely nothing else ever. What's a direct replacement that is not about most power but reliability?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
The easy ALH upgrade is a VNT17( the GT1749VB ), with its 36mm compressor inducer, and 39mm turbine exducer. You take off the ALH turbo, separate its compressor housing and attack it with a bandsaw to remove the hose nipple. Roughly the same thing happens to the VNT17's compressor housing...off comes the clip connector outlet and the nipple gets TIG'd in its place.

Douglas

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
VA is off the PD130 over here, has a smaller turbine wheel, VB is off the 150. VB should be good for more power but the VA spools fast

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
Rather than making my Canadian TDI go fast with euro goodies, I went to Europe to buy me something that I could never build. A 2003 VW Sharan 1.9L AUY tdi which is a PD115 with 6 speed manual and 4 motion. Very rare build. Bought in 2018 while I was in DE and used it to tour Europe. Brought it back to Canada and has been an awesome vehicle, putting loads odometer.

Fast forward till today, it’s been flawless but a tad tired. Now 327,000 kms and turbo is screeching occasionally and it’s time. Can I use a modified BEW turbo if I retain vacuum control, should I buy a performance turbo which is really what I have. I believe it’s a GT1749V or VNT17.

A Saharan, never heard of that, it's pretty.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

My last car was the Alhambra, same car but seat version, 2L tdi and 2wd. The older ones (upto about 2010) were all set up for 4x4 from the factory, rear wheel bearings are like fronts with the same type of hub. Loved that beast but it was getting expensive due to wear and tear plus it was needing welded.

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
My last car was the Alhambra, same car but seat version, 2L tdi and 2wd. The older ones (upto about 2010) were all set up for 4x4 from the factory, rear wheel bearings are like fronts with the same type of hub. Loved that beast but it was getting expensive due to wear and tear plus it was needing welded.

No, did it go the the big autowreckers in the sky?

I just dropped 3 grand in parts into my 01 beetle and it still needs tires, something like that would need mega rust before I give up. My dodge ram is missing the bottom 6 inches all around and still gets premium part

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
GT1749V is just a later revision of the VNT15. Early ALHs would have come with a turbo that actually said "VNT15" on their identification tag.

2001-2003 ALHs will have the GT1749V from the factory. It's still what most of us would consider calling a VNT15.

GT1749VB is the actual ARL code VNT17.

Garrett has a new part numbering scheme that looks nothing like that these days... And a lot of the replacement "VNT15s" have not been very good quality. The ones made in the U.K. are great, if you can find them. But lots of problems with the replacement versions made elsewhere.

Some vendors are defaulting to a version of the Borg-Warner BV-39 that is a bolt-on replacement because they've been better than Garrett's replacements.

It's a shame because the original Garretts tended to be long-lived, reliable turbos...

The replacement Genuine Garrett VNT17s (GT1749VB) seem to still be of good quality, just difficult to get in quantity these days.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Ok, thanks. I have 3 of those GT1749v’s. All came off ALHs’s. Seems like there were some slight differences in the profile of the inducer, iirc, but they all have the exhaust manifold common to the vnt15.
I believe it was a BV39 I put on Donna’s ALH. It’s performed flawlessly for close to 8 years. I would have to check to see when I installed it.