What did you do to your car today?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
mydeathbynapalm said:
Had to get a new camshaft and lifters installed (thankfully not by a dealership ;) )... '02 only has just shy of 91,000 and at least 2 of the lifters were relatively soon to be holed(already developed a wear grove)...camshaft had pitting in the lobes. Noticed said pits at 80K(TB change), but nothing was obviously about to fail. Glad we did the change out today...
This is worrysome.:( Oldpoopie did my timing belt at 158,000 miles, also a 2002 and saw zero wear. But since reading on the threads about 2002 and follower/cams emploding... I ...I ...really am getting nervous. I'm at 200,000 miles now. I'm not due for a timing belt for another 40,000 miles. Do I prematurely do a timing belt with cam/lifters and oil pump soon or....

truckinwagen

TDI
1981 rabbit
well it wasnt today, but I cicked my car.
my trusty little 81 rabbit shredded the alt/water pump belt in turnagain pass. for those of you not familiar with alaska thats the middle of friggin nowhere at least 65 miles from the nearest town, and even better with no cell coverage. I had to hitchhike to soldotna (about 100 miles off) and getr my family to come from homer with a trailer(another 70 miles) to bring tha darn thing back home so I could fix it.
nwe belt+extra in the glove box=happy bunny

KROUT

persona non grata
If your not get any lifter noise I would do it at the next t-belt change. Just my 2 cents

BrianCT said:
This is worrysome.:( Oldpoopie did my timing belt at 158,000 miles, also a 2002 and saw zero wear. But since reading on the threads about 2002 and follower/cams emploding... I ...I ...really am getting nervous. I'm at 200,000 miles now. I'm not due for a timing belt for another 40,000 miles. Do I prematurely do a timing belt with cam/lifters and oil pump soon or....

Justler

Veteran Member
truckinwagen said:
well it wasnt today, but I cicked my car.
my trusty little 81 rabbit shredded the alt/water pump belt in turnagain pass. for those of you not familiar with alaska thats the middle of friggin nowhere at least 65 miles from the nearest town, and even better with no cell coverage. I had to hitchhike to soldotna (about 100 miles off) and getr my family to come from homer with a trailer(another 70 miles) to bring tha darn thing back home so I could fix it.
nwe belt+extra in the glove box=happy bunny
I've been to soldotna... not too shabby =). Sorry to hear about your luck!

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
KROUT said:
I would do it at the next t-belt change. Just my 2 cents
Yea, but I walked into Chris Hill's garage last summer and saw IndigoblueWagen's [Peter tdiparts.com]. Peter asked to takie a lookie at his cam/followers and ...I don't think he had any "noise." The followers were SPENT/CRACKED and CHIPPED. A couple miles short of a tow truck and the need for a new motor.

Chris did his cam and followers right then and there.:(

Last clutch deal -make over in Aug I wanted to have Chris look at my cam/lifters but we decided to take on suspension components as well as clutch and never had time to pop the valve cover.

Way off topic.

What did I do to my car today?

Thought about it kind'a:D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
brian, get yourself a ball allen and take that valve cover off. Its easy and then you'll be able to sleep.

mydeathbynapalm

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2002, Reflex Silver
Don't need to do a full TB change to swap cam/lifters.(took Oliver 1:15 to do the swap...leisurely) Likely wouldn't have been able to see the wear on the lifters while in engine. We just saw the cam 10K ago and knew we had to change the parts out. No noise present. Friend had a lifter fail and engine stil ran until he got to the repair shop...wasn't pretty. Still needed a 'new' head though. I believe his car had 110000 on it at the time. Was an '03 FWIW.

BrianCT said:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
oldpoopie said:
brian, get yourself a ball allen and take that valve cover off. Its easy and then you'll be able to sleep.
I could take snap shots, but I still don't know what I'm looking for ...well I do but panic is more the rational state of mind when entering into a domain I have little knowledge about ...mechanics.:(

Two-hundred grand on that motor oldpoopie, thanks to you my last belt job. Thanks to HermTDi for my first one ...car would've never made 100,000 if a dealership had done the job.

I'm really, really thankful to have met you both.:D

BrianCT

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
I put on steel rims & blizzaks onto my A5 that used to be on my 2005 hailstone-dimpled B5.5. thus starting the TPMS light on its inexorable way to failure. Is it an LED or is it a bulb? It could fail either way I suppose, but LED would probably last longer. Someone here already has some wacky A5 dashboard upgrade kit, I'm sure, blue LEDs, whatever it takes.

My next upgrade will be to move the black electrical tape that is currently covering the DRL light - I'll cover the TPMS symbol/light with it.

ps - what good does a mufflerectomy do except make our slow but torquey TDIs louder?

pps - are steel rims and snow tires really an upgrade? I'd say yes they are but don't make me go and start a poll on the subject, or anything.

ppps - is black electrical tape an upgrade to the A5 dashboard? I say yes, but this too could be a future poll subject of national interest or at least the A5 forum.

Last edited:

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Today, changed over all summer tires to winter tires. The Jetta and the Golf are now on 16 x 6.5 rims with Bridgestone Blizzaks [Revo1 and WS60's]. Changed over a friend of ours, his NB from stocker alloyed to steelie and Nokian i3's also. That was 3 hours of changing 3 cars in the cold and snowy morning.:(

The steelies and Nokian's I bought off Danix himself back 2005 winter when I needed a MAF and drove up to his home in NY. Great set of tires from Danix... and our friend Gary has enjoyed them for now 3 seasons.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Oh, keeping with my painting traditions.:D

I did refinish the steelie rims of our friend both front and back sides and clear coated them too.

LOL

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Here are some pictures of my TDI on first snow.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Man I love snow, its so fun to drive my TDI. I have Perreli's tires and the rear ones are weared out, but the front ones are still good. So now when I turn my rear end slides like on slides, don't even have to use e-brake.lol Two days ago I did very nice 2 360 turns by my driveway, it was unbelievable fun. It feeled like I was driving rear wheel driven car, all I had to do is pull ebrake turn wheel and hit gas paddle and car would turn right on spot.

Another thing I noticed if I wanted to turn around (I mean 180) pull ebrake let a gas go and turn wheels and car would turn around to go opposite direction in no time.

Last edited:

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Check your manual. I know that on my Eos (which is pretty much the same elctronics as the A5), I can set the TPMS to account for winter tires through the MFD or VAG-COM

eli said:
I put on steel rims & blizzaks onto my A5 that used to be on my 2005 hailstone-dimpled B5.5. thus starting the TPMS light on its inexorable way to failure. Is it an LED or is it a bulb? It could fail either way I suppose, but LED would probably last longer. Someone here already has some wacky A5 dashboard upgrade kit, I'm sure, blue LEDs, whatever it takes.

My next upgrade will be to move the black electrical tape that is currently covering the DRL light - I'll cover the TPMS symbol/light with it.

ps - what good does a mufflerectomy do except make our slow but torquey TDIs louder?

pps - are steel rims and snow tires really an upgrade? I'd say yes they are but don't make me go and start a poll on the subject, or anything.

ppps - is black electrical tape an upgrade to the A5 dashboard? I say yes, but this too could be a future poll subject of national interest or at least the A5 forum.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Fabricated a fix for the PD intake hose pooping out.

This is the prototype; changes will be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

keks

Veteran Member
TDI
98 porcelain Blue Jetta TDI,,usually seen lurking within a 15 mile radius east of the City.
Short shifter!
No more bumping into the passengers knee when shifting to 5th :)

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
whitedog said:
Fabricated a fix for the PD intake hose pooping out.This is the prototype; changes will be made.
Nice, nice and simple. Simple is good.:D

Do you have more photos of this mod? Sure looks stealth enough.

Nice work.

BrianCT

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Went to the car wash. Squeezed IBW into the garage (heat!) and waxed it. Used Rubbercare on all the gaskets, waxed doorjams and sills, cleaned and waxed the Koseis. Haven't put snows on because I haven't bought them yet. After four seasons I think the Blizzaks are done. Also shampooed the front seat cushions. Tomorrow I'll clean the dash and other plastic bits. All this to delay finding the fuel leak and replacing the clutch.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
IndigoBlueWagon said:
Haven't put snows on because I haven't bought them yet. After four seasons I think the Blizzaks are done.
Ran the WS50's for 3 years and just bought the Blizzak's WS-60's at discount. Big difference in cabin feed back under acceleration ...no longer the sponge wind-up gripping noises as the tread blocks widen and splat.:D

As for handling ...2 ply sidewall, good for about xxx mph and excellent ability to dirve over debris.:D

People to see, places to go and reports to fill. 1-84E/I-384 CT 13h00.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
delvi__acevedo said:
Installed my winter set up, 17" monte carlo with michelin snow tires.....
Okay, I must admit each time you post I anticipate dollar signs and added verbiage on you signature delvi. One day I'll click and it'll be a 7-speed with all-wheel-drive ...mark my words.:D

But there are some points I'd like to take note of in your photo. I'll over look the obvious, this of course being the concrete cement sealer. There is enough expoxy in that cement for a woman to pluck her eyebrows at fifty paces. It's a perfect floor. Just a note. A Detail. Just thought I'd mention it.

The one item in that foto is ...of course ...what seems to be a ring washer, or a parallel wave washer [United States Patent 6361257]. Okay, great choice of today's technology and yester-year's revolutionary design for contrast.

Now? What do you use the ring washer for exactly ....? Is it modded?

LOL:D

How do 17 x 7.5 rims with winter tires do on an MKIV and it would be nice to say you bought Michelin X-Ice.

Impressed at the cement floor.

and the ring washer too.

your mods as well.:D

BrianCT

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Floor looks wet to me, if that is a sealer...wow. Come tell the contractors at work how to do a real hanger floor please :(

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Put on my winterforce snow tires (on a spare set of rims) on - wish I would have done it this morning before I went to work since it snowed ~4 inches then sleeted/freezing rain for about an hour after that while I was at work so I got to drive home on my Michelin MXV4+'s, which do well in the snow, but it's still frustrating since there is someting so much better in the garage.

Also picked up a new temp sensor and thermostat today. Dash gauge and Scangauge both read ~170F max ever since I changed my temp sensor a couple months ago due to it reading 413F at times. Figured I'd try another sensor first and then the thermostat if it reads the same with the new sensor.

delvi__acevedo

Mod'aholic
TDI
Getta GLS,2001,silver
BrianCT said:
Okay, I must admit each time you post I anticipate dollar signs and added verbiage on you signature delvi. One day I'll click and it'll be a 7-speed with all-wheel-drive ...mark my words.:D

But there are some points I'd like to take note of in your photo. I'll over look the obvious, this of course being the concrete cement sealer. There is enough expoxy in that cement for a woman to pluck her eyebrows at fifty paces. It's a perfect floor. Just a note. A Detail. Just thought I'd mention it.

The one item in that foto is ...of course ...what seems to be a ring washer, or a parallel wave washer [United States Patent 6361257]. Okay, great choice of today's technology and yester-year's revolutionary design for contrast.

Now? What do you use the ring washer for exactly ....? Is it modded?

LOL:D

How do 17 x 7.5 rims with winter tires do on an MKIV and it would be nice to say you bought Michelin X-Ice.

Impressed at the cement floor.

and the ring washer too.

your mods as well.:D

BrianCT
thanks Brian, this place is actually a small car wash place that I take my car durning the winter;) they use the washer for the towers/rags, the foor is just wet it was 23 degrees out side..

the wheels I got it last year off a vortex guy, that was right after winter, it 525.00 with the michelin snow tires the are pilot apin(I think) but the are pretty much brand new, so with that price I could not refuse:D

every time I look at one of your pictures it really impress me, what a nice job painting those wheels:eek:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Put on a coat of detaler and tried Wurth interior cleaner (coming to TDIParts soon, shameless plug) on the interior. Cleaned the windows. The car fits into TDIP World Headquarters, but only barely.

Delvi, you're the only guy I know who goes DOWN to 17s for the winter. I swap from 15s to 15s.

And yes, I received your voicemail. I'll try to take care of that today.

Last edited:

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
anybody else double-take and wonder how that car got on the cruiser's hood?

Blackknight

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I did a bit of winter maintenance today, changed the battery, fuel filter and air filter. I also polished my headlights.

Tomorrow I get to do brakes. Whee.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Put the B4V in winter storage. The '97 A3 will go in next. Orderd Bridgestone Revos for the Jetta Wagon. Thanks, Brian for the referral. I'd looked at these and didn't want to repeat the Blizzak squirm experience. $300 delivered isn't bad.