Easy Lubro Moly Diesel Purge How-To - with pics!!

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.
OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes. I've been a fan of LM products ever since I had my first VW, a 1990 Fox wagon. Well, this has got to be the easiest thing to do and is definitely recommended for any TDI with more than 20k miles on the clock. This how-to has been posted elsewhere, my version, is one-person and only takes 20 minutes and about 20 dollars. Here goes:

Parts:

1 can of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge:

1 Fram Fuel Filter, part number on box (from Napa or Murray's), 10 feet of 5/16 ID plastic tubing (Home Depot) and 1 packet of 5/16" vacuum fittings:

1 20oz (at least) empty pop or water bottle (I used a 24 oz. one).

Steps:

1. Cut 3 lengths of plastic tubing, one 22" long, one 8" and one 12" long.
2. Connect the 8" and 12" pieces of plastic tubing to the inline fuel filter.

3. Insert one vacuum fitting into the other end of the 8" piece (this will be connected to the fuel line from the filter to the pump).
4. Insert the other vacuum fitting into the 22" piece of tubing (this will go from the injection pump back to the plastic bottle containing the Diesel Purge).

It should look like this. If it doesn't you have no business working on your car, sell it and buy a Honda.

5. Get your plastic bottle, insert your hoses and stick it between your washer fluid resevoir and the intake pipe.

6. Make sure your hoses are long enough.
7. Remove the bottle and fill it with the Diesel Purge. I have no idea if the DP will eat through the bottle or the tubing, but work quickly but carefully just to be sure.

Precautions: the DP will get hot as it recirculates through the pump, making the tubing more pliable and prone to leaks. It will not leak however, trust me.

8. With the bottle filled and your tubes inserted TO THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTLE, remove the fuel line which goes from the filter to the injection pump.

You should have something like this, if you don't, go get that Honda, ASAP.

9. I found it helpful to 'prime' the inline filter by sucking some DP through the line so as to minimize the amount of air the pump would have to deal with. Do not get any in your mouth, it tastes horrible. Trust me. Remove the clamp securing the fuel line from the filter to the pump and with your thumb over the clear tube (which should be filled with DP if you primed it properly) quickly insert the clear line with the vacuum fitting into the fuel supply line.

10. Do the same with the return line (which goes from the injector pump back to the fuel filter). The fuel pump will recirculate the DP back to the clear plastic bottle, using only DP, which is, after all, the whole point.

11. Make sure all your fittings are secure. Don't mind the air in the lines, your pump can handle it. Trust me. The advantage of this system is that while in the car you can view the clear lines. As the fuel heats up, you will see little bubbles in the clear lines, don't worry, it will all hold together.

12. Start the car, watch as the fuel in the lines goes from clear to red.

13. Get out of car and check system for leaks. There should be none.

14. Get back in car and rev engine, from idle all the way to redline. Vary engine speeds. Don't be afraid, trust me. Make sure you do this in a well-ventilated garage or preferably outside, where the car will able to cool itself.

15. Get out periodically to check on the level of DP remaining. When it gets to about 1 1/2 inches left, get in the car, give it one last college try. When you see a steady stream of bubbles in the supply line, shut the engine down.

16. Reassemble your fuel lines. Remember, a little air is no problem.

17. Start the car and check for leaks.

18. Pour left over DP in the tank.

19. Have a beer.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes.
Hey, nice effort and nice fotos!! I must commend you on your "contribution". So few others seem to share your concern. After all, we live in a "give" and "take" world with the focus being on "take" and "give" has become a complete oversight.

Nice job.

BTW, Arby, what store did you go to when you purchased the highly touted LM Diesel Purge?

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
My newbie question is.. Why do this? What does it accomplish?

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
BTW, Arby, what store did you go to when you purchased the highly touted LM Diesel Purge?

Thanks for the positive feedback! I got the Diesel Purge from a local Euro dealership whom I worked for. I know that Bavarian Autosport stocks it (or their catalog alludes to the fact), you can also get it from the Parts Place, here in Auburn Hills, MI. I'm almost positive that tdiparts.com has some as well.

As for the question of 'what does it do?' well, your injectors can get all bunged up from the diesel plus the fact that they are exposed to the combustion in the cylinder. Diesel Purge is designed to be clean the injectors of all the crud that builds up. It basically does the same thing that Techron would do for a gasser but in a hyper-concentrated manner.

JettaJake

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 GLS 5spd
Very nice job, excellent contribution. I do like the label on the bottle --> "medicine for sick diesels" heheh

Still, I'm little unclear about the purpose or exactly what this material is. Please tell us a little more about this "diesel snake oil"
What symptoms or ills does this product claim to correct? Does it contain molybdenum disulfide as the name seems to imply? Is a cloud of white smoke coming out the tailpipe while doing the purge?

[snip]
19. Have a beer.
For now I will skip the 1st 18 steps

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jake,

All excellent questions. Diesel Purge has been around for quite a while. A friend of mine who put together the catalog for the Parts Place many many years ago is quite familiar with it and attests to its various and sundry claims. My apologies, I don't have the bottle in front of me, but the symptoms which it claims require its use include excessive knocking, smoking, noise and vibration. It is red in color and smells not unlike cough syrup. Your car will not smoke when you use it, but will smell quite differently from what you are used to. It does not, to my knowledge, contain any molybdenum disulfide. You can find it in Bavarian Autosport. I can honestly claim that after using it my engine is quite smoother when revving above 3,000 and seems to have taken quite nicely to having its injectors cleaned. I plan on using it every 20k miles. I bought my car when it had 14k miles on the clock and am not sure what kind of diesel the previous owner used. I felt this was needed.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
So would it be ok to just add some to the fuel tank every now and then? Or will this not work to well? By the way great write up! Thanks, Kory

Kory,

The point is to run it straight. Some have claimed that they use it to prime their fuel filter when they change it out. However, the pump will recirculate the unused Diesel Purge back to the tank where it will be diluted by your existing diesel. You will not see the benefit unless you run it straight.

Lubro Moly makes a product called Diesel Hi-Test which, I believe, is meant to be added to the tank not unlike Standayne or Powerservice.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
OK, so I'm no Wingnut, but I've really been looking to make some sort of contribution to Fred's, so here goes.
We all start somewhere. Have you seen any of my first how-to's? Pretty pathetic compared to your first post. Good job. Please add this as a link in my How to thread so others can find it easily.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Guys, the LM product line is well-recognized as no nonsense additives...

Lubro Moly diesel purge is the only concentrated product that can be used while the injectors are still in the car! When used about every six months, this maintenance routine will keep your injectors at their optimum performance. Diesel purge is easy to use. Just pour into your tank or follow the simple instructions on the bottle.
try it and decide for yourself. IMPEX has most of the diesel products and I think Danix picked up the produce line as well. They've got a killer diesel anti-gel product.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Yes, you do need to run this product this way. It works many, many, many times better at cleaning the injection system than any tank additve.

If you live in the Chicago area, Sparomobile Forn Parts in Downers Grove on Ogden Ave sells it too. Say high to Mike for me.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
I've used the diesel purge 3x now, and I'll likely do it a 4th when I reach 120k miles, which will be very soon. It makes a significant difference. I remember the first time I did it, it was winter and I was getting significant cold start smoke. I used the dieselpurge and the smoke ceased entirely.
Definately a good product.

TDIinRI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GOLF silver
I have used the diesel purge on my car and on Cliff's Jetta. Purchased from danix @ tdiparts.com each time. The bottle that dan sold me looks a little different than the one posted. I think they redesigned it, as it is now a little shorter and fatter. Arby, I think you are mistaken though. It is most definitely NOT red in colour. According to the bottle: "Cleans injector nozzles in minutes. Eliminates 'nailing', knocking, shaking. Restores power, eases starting. Lowers smoke and particulates." Also an interesting tidbit found on the bottle for you all to debate: Product contains 65% Diesel Fuel, approx. 25% Ethylhexyl nitrate, approx. 8% Petroleum Distilate, and approx. 1% 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene. Let the debating continue...

Tommy

Darren_J

Veteran Member
TDI
MK 4 TDI
I thought that ethyl-hexyl-nitrate was a cetane improver. Is it a solvent as well? That is the main ingredient next to the 65% diesel fuel. Petroleum distillate, is that Naptha? And what is trimethyl benzene? One could almost make his own injection cleaner.

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
By looking at the pics, once its all setup, we are completely bypassing the fuel filter correct?

Apparantly DP is not red, as Geoff has told me. I must have used old DP. Anyway, yes, you are bypassing the fuel filter to ensure that your car burns nothing but DP. Otherwise, the DP would be recirculated back to the fuel tank where it would be mixed with your existing diesel. The DP is meant to be burned straight.

DieselFumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
[Y]es, you are bypassing the fuel filter to ensure that your car burns nothing but DP. Otherwise, the DP would be recirculated back to the fuel tank where it would be mixed with your existing diesel. The DP is meant to be burned straight.
I think the best time to use Diesel Purge is when you replace the fuel filter. You'd fill the filter up with DP, connect hoses to the inlet and outlet of the filter and run them to the bottle containing DP. (Actually, it's a bit more involved than that, with clamping hoses and using a LiquidVac or MityVac to suck the DP from the bottle thru the filter to via the return hose.) That way the DP is run through the fuel filter and only DP is burned and there's no need to purchase a separate filter.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
I think the best time to use Diesel Purge is when you replace the fuel filter. You'd fill the filter up with DP, connect hoses to the inlet and outlet of the filter and run them to the bottle containing DP. (Actually, it's a bit more involved than that, with clamping hoses and using a LiquidVac or MityVac to suck the DP from the bottle thru the filter to via the return hose.) That way the DP is run through the fuel filter and only DP is burned and there's no need to purchase a separate filter.
Except... this way your car sputters to a stop with a filter full of DP, and then you hook up the fuel lines again and all your remaining DP gets diluted with regular fuel.

Besides, that $2 filter doesn't filter all that well anyway.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Just wanted to add that for convinience in Washington DC /MD /VA
Olympic autoparts stores in the area carry the full Lubro Moly line...LM Hi test is 2.69 the Diesel Purge is like 4.60..
they have the motor oils from LM too..

Later gang

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
ImpexFAP seems to have a great price on the Diesel Purge. 3-4 times cheaper than the Parts Place Inc in auburn hills.

Dunno what Danix's price is - I should check.

I'd actually reccomend doing the Diesel Purge regim just before an oil change. Why? in case you get a bit of blow by or what not... prolly no big deal but it'll be the right time.

As for filtering it? Bah - never known anyone to filter it when running. BUt it isn't a bad idea. Esp for $2...

Just don't pull an lrpavlo and hook it up to the bottle and go for a drive
and leave all the tools at the GTG.

I reccomend having Vag-com hooked up when you are doing the purge. Cycle the pump in basic settings in block 004. That will move the timing solenoid at a larger range than possible just with a foot, and its safer than driving around like Lew did.

I use two hoses that fit snugly inside the fuel lines and put them in a clear plastic container (EHN proof plastic). That way you can visually check how much you've run through.

No need to empty the whole bottle, just get most of it, then dump the rest in the fuel tank.

filling the fuel filter up with diesel purge at a filter change will not get you the reccomended and most effective use of the DP. you'll get a few seconds of good DP but then it will be slowly diluted with diesel fuel and you'll never get the duration of cleaning needed.

BTW, Good job on the write up ARBY. Shall we nominate you the next write up member? What ya gonna do next?

dantheswim

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2001, White
Just wanted to add that for convinience in Washington DC /MD /VA
Olympic autoparts stores in the area carry the full Lubro Moly line...LM Hi test is 2.69 the Diesel Purge is like 4.60..
Thanks for that. I'm on my way to one now in Fairfax...to buy something I probably don't really even need...

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Great job with the write-up and pics! I have used many gallons of diesel purge in old diesel Mercedes engines. In an engine with injector knock, you can hear the knock go away while running the DP. Good stuff!

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I just did this tonight... I think I heard the sound of the engine change as I ran the DP through it. No smoke from the tailpipe, which smelled about the same. I didn't have any problems with leaking, though by the end of the bottle some air was getting past the fittings.

I used a Glad Ware container, and had claps holding the hose in place. I would be careful using the clamps, the hose got a little soft after the fuel warmed up, and the claps started to pinch it off. But I ran almost the entire can through without any issue. (The black thing over the DP is a binder... it had started to rain and I've heard that it's bad to get water in the fule
)

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
Okay... your post got me jazzed up about Diesel Purge again. I went up to Impex yesterday to pick up a bunch of stuff -- by the way, check out their part# ALH KIT OE -- anyway, I picked up a couple of bottles of DP and ran it through when I got home. My setup was a bit simpler:

1) Go to Home Depot and get a small roll of poly icemaker hose -- $1.90.
2) Cut two lengths of the hose about 12" long. Store the rest of the hose in a clean place for next time.
3) Pull the two engine-side hoses off the fuel filter and stick in the two pieces of tubing about 2".
4) It's not a tight fit, so use a hose clamp on each side.
5) Stick the loose ends into the can of DP and start the car.
6) Every few minutes, get in and rev it up to different RPM ranges all the way up to near-redline.

It takes a while to use up all the DP... maybe half an hour or more. As you can see in the pic below, I used a small needle-nose vice-grip to weight down the fuel feed hose to keep it from coming out and drawing air.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Way to hijack Arby's thread, Mcbrew.
Just kidding, I'm glad it's on the same thread.

Nice job to the both of you for posting this. I have never done this DP before. I have 75,000 miles on my car and I think I will do this before the winter. I think my TDI will love this. Thanks again. Looks easy.