Chinese Passat LED tail light retrofit

Passat2012Nc

TDI
Passat 2012 SE
Help anyone!!!!

Oscar I posted everything
I do see that know, thanks Jimmy Glad your not a bad person like that Troy guy from Canada that rip me off with the tail light set and never paid me for. I will help anyone that need a set of tails or Headlights These are OEM I will pst pictures you can PM me if have any question...

:)

emmkayJuan

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI's, Porsches, & Unique Bits
I would HIGHLY advise against giving Oscar a vendor account here. He's completely disappeared from myturbodiesel.com after intentionally sending multiple people damaged product. After 4 months of trying to get him to send me a replacement set of the Chinese Bi-Xenon headlights because of a broken tab and small missing chunk from one of the housings, I finally convinced him to do so. The set arrived on Tuesday and they're in worse condition than the set I had. The lenses are hazed and look as though they've been wet-sanded. Additionally, the housing are full of large chunks of debris. I've repaired my original lights and have come to the conclusion that Oscar lacks both the intelligence and compassion to treat people fairly and provide a usable product.

I know I'm not alone in my feelings, but for anyone that's considering doing business with Oscar, I highly discourage it.

-Patrick

Niner

duplicate account, banned
add in that Compu and veedubtdi got broken product also, and the one time I contacted Oscar, I got boiler room tactics on making the purchase that same day, that same phone call. I can't/won't recommend him, based on my own experience. He may fool VWVortex kiddies with his tactics, but here on TDI club... he made the bed, he gets to sleep in it.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Interesting testimonials! Oscar, care to respond?

Passat2012Nc

TDI
Passat 2012 SE
Patrick, I did not send anyone any broken headlamps or parts. I did in fact sold you a set and arrived to you damage, I did not inspect that very well, a foul on my side. I did in fact send you a new set that you just received a few days ago, waiting on you to return me the damage one. I did inspect that one set you got; I did not see any damage to it at all. If this set is hazed and has debris inside, them I really don’t know what to tell you. Like Niner is saying, may the source of which I'm getting this product is not the best.

Not asking anyone to buy from me. All I say is that I can get them. There was a big misinterpretation on my side with my friend in China. I ask him to get them direct from the Dealer. Well he though that I was referring to the seller (Person) as the Dealer... . I have asked him to do direct to the VW Dealer, parts department and order from there. Now he understand.

All of these accusations are true and I’m not denying any of them. Some of the first set that where obtain had a bit of debris and cosmetic defects. That does not affect the product from performing its job. But you did purchase a new set, and that is what you expect.

Forgive me..

I did not vanish from the other forum, just left it alone until I get all the little problems fix.

Patrick’s and Robert….

FYI, we have added more packing and wood case boxes to ship this set, to safe them from braking, cracking, missing clips or any other problem that may came our way.

Patrick, jimmy did in fact help you set up your harness correct? How is your install turning out?

Last edited:

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
In other news Lawson and I spent some time playing around with the soft coding last night. I have some results and I think I know what the proper Byte 18 coding is for the US cars, but I want to verify before I post the final results. (Yes, we tried all codings from 01 to B9 :crazy: )

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
"some time" = 4 hours sitting in the driveway in the rain watching the tail lights do various things ;)

In order for the Chinese coding to work properly, you have to have BOTH sets of Chinese lights (front and rear), you have to add wiring and change the location of existing wiring.

For now, we're going to leave it on US coding and do some wiring trickery to get them to function the way I want them to - videos to follow... hopefully today! :)

Niner

duplicate account, banned
"some time" = 4 hours sitting in the driveway in the rain watching the tail lights do various things ;)

In order for the Chinese coding to work properly, you have to have BOTH sets of Chinese lights (front and rear), you have to add wiring and change the location of existing wiring.

For now, we're going to leave it on US coding and do some wiring trickery to get them to function the way I want them to - videos to follow... hopefully today! :)
That's dedication! Props for taking the time to sort it out the right way, you guys have impeccable standards on your mods!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Still not sorted out - original plan won't work because of the way the lights are wired... Still thinking about what to do.

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
Brad those look awesome. Think theyre quality made lights? I'd hate to spend that much if they're likely to leak or have other problems in short order.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
Minor update: Installed some 5 watt, 100 ohm resistors between the power and ground wires on the rear lights. This draws about 1.5 watts and makes the bulb monitor happy. I mounted the resistors to one of the structures in the trunk lid for heat dissipation.

No more bulb monitor, and working rear lights :cool:

-J

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Why are you getting a headlight bulb out error? :confused:

Dr speed

TDI
2012 b7
Sorry veedubtdi,
I'm in the right church but wrong Pew ;)

I was inquiring as to whether the resistor would fix the Chinese headlight bulb out issue some guys are having

VeeDubTDI

TDI
In order for the Chinese market lights to truly function correctly, you need the headlights, the tail lights, the fog lights, the top trim body control module and some extra wiring that doesn't exist on the US Passat - in addition to the Chinese coding for the BCM.

TDI_Brad

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
$1400 for the bixenon headlight and led tail lights together. $50 for my adapter harness from china. And the cost of the VAGCOM cable if you don't have one. Plus lots of time tinkering and experimenting with different coding. I have actually had the lights since February but just got them installed and working to my satisfaction. The light output is way better than stock headlamps. The only thing that's doesn't work on them is the auto level and cornering but with all right parts that might be able to be accomplished.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
What coding did you use for the BCM - the Chinese coding? If so, do you get lamp out errors for the cornering lights?

Is your car an SE or an SEL? How did you hook up the brake lights? Details, please! :)

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
So there is no (yet known) separate coding change to just separate the turn function from the rear outer brake lights?
Dang. That, and I assume two extra wires from otherwise unused driver pins to the (nonexistent in the US lights) lower amber bulbs/LEDs in the rear, would be the most important upgrade (and most bang for the buck) upgrade (at least in my opinion).

Unless y'all have already come across such a setting (where nothing changes except the above) which would not be useful to you with your proper Chinese headlights -
I'd like to start searching for such a setting myself, but hadn't yet because I lacked this information:

1. Where is the control module located where you added the two wires for the add'l separate rear bulbs? (I assume all Chinese Passats have amber rear turns, so any trim level's control module should have those drivers unless they decided to spend more money on inventorying to save the occasional pair of transistors.)

2. In some early Ross-Tech writing about lamp coding, it sounded to me as though you can only write a new byte, but you cannot read what the stock byte is - that would obviously make modification a bit scary. Is that not true?

thanks.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
#2 is defiantly true... this is what Lawson and I spent hours testing... trying to go back to the stock coding after changing it.

The control module is the BCM, located in front of the driver's knee.

-Jason