oil smudge in throttle body

Eliminateur

TDI
Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG 2007
Hello,
i was taking a look under the hood with a portable light on my jetta tdi, took out the engine cover and noticed that below the throttle body there's thick oil all smudged down the air pipe and the block itself is "sprayed" with oil (there's droplets like something once blew sprayed oil towards there with force) with the tpicenter looking like below the throttle body itself (there's a circular thingy behind it, it's very hard to see celarly).

any ideas what it is?(or if it's normal)

Eliminateur

TDI
Jetta 2.0 TDI DSG 2007
the Cv boots are fine, and anyway they're waay away from there and wouldn't show the epicenter as it's showing.
Here are some pictures(very hard to get a good angle):
this is the throttle body connector from above:

This is with the cammera parallel to the block (flush with the vertical intake piping the throttle body) you can see the "explosion" of oil, the throttle body is on the right:

And this is the downpipe from the left of the body:

i'm worried about oil in the intake but the car runs perfectly fine, no apparent oil consumption, no smoke, no power loss at high revs, no engine DTCs

TDI_Smog

TDI
2006 jetta
the Cv boots are fine, and anyway they're waay away from there and wouldn't show the epicenter as it's showing.
Here are some pictures(very hard to get a good angle):
this is the throttle body connector from above:

This is with the cammera parallel to the block (flush with the vertical intake piping the throttle body) you can see the "explosion" of oil, the throttle body is on the right:

And this is the downpipe from the left of the body:

i'm worried about oil in the intake but the car runs perfectly fine, no apparent oil consumption, no smoke, no power loss at high revs, no engine DTCs
Sorry to bring up an old post but I may be having a problem with my throttle body making a lot of noise. Is this near the turbo? I can't quite grasp the location of if from the pics. Thanks.

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Throttle body? Diesels don't have one. We have an ASV (Anti-Shudder Valve) high and to the left rear of our engines but that's about it. Perhaps you're using the wrong term?

TDI_Smog

TDI
2006 jetta
Throttle body? Diesels don't have one. We have an ASV (Anti-Shudder Valve) high and to the left rear of our engines but that's about it. Perhaps you're using the wrong term?
Ohh, you're talking about the one just before that egr valve...ok. Than it's not the shudder valve making noise because that area is quiet.

Thanks, i'll keep looking around...

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Don't have a clue, really, about what you are referring to. could you post some pictures with more perspective of the general area in question and then pictures that show the detail you are referring to?

Like Nord said, Diesels don't have a throttle body. They are a completely different animal than a gasser.

A very common area for oil leaks on a TDI is the valve cover. My BRM had oil leaking from the valve cover at 40K miles. If you have oil present on the back side of the engine, just below the valve cover, then your valve cover is leaking.

All I did was snug the valve cover bolts and the leak stopped. A bit of warning though, just snug the valve cover bolts, tightening them to tight will strip out the drive head or snap the bolts.