Is my clutch slipping?

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Hey, everyone...I have a 98 Jetta TDI, and I know the clutch is starting to wear out. I figure it is weak, but I didn't think it was at a point where it would slip. Before I go any further, let me just mention that my clutch only grabs near the top 1/5 of pedal movement or something like that. Here is the situation:

Under normal driving conditions, no slippage. If I do some of the load tests I have heard mention, I don't really feel any slippage. (IE, let rpm go low in 3rd, and then hammer the throttle, or go to 1800 RPM in 5th and hammer throttle). Third there is a bit of hesitation, but I thought it was just the engine trying to pull....no really jerky accel.
Anyhow, now that it is getting warmer, I am sometimes a little heavier on the accel and can get my car up to 2800-3000 RPM before shifting. When I do this, and I go from 2nd to 3rd and up from there, there is a momentary hesitation when engaging the gear...not a smooth accel. Not jerky really, just kinda like there is minimal grab, and then *wham* full grab and the car takes off again. Like I said, my clutch doesn't fully engage until the top of the pedal so I don't know if this is a case of a worn out clutch, or if my pedal travel has anything to do with it.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Your clutch is slipping when the tach and speedo don't move "in synch" with each other, i.e. the tach moves and speedo doesn't while in gear. I've found this easiest to test on the highway in 5th. AFAIK the clutches on A3, B4 and newer are all self-adjusting, unlike my old A1 Jetta...

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Yeah, I have been told that this is a self adjusting clutch, and that when the pedal is that high up, it is slowly time to change to a new one. I talked to a very nice VW parts department guy once and he agreed that it sounded like my clutch is slowly going, but until I feel slippage, I shouldn't bother changing it just yet. Save the $$ and such. Oh, well, I guess I will look into getting a new clutch some time this fall. VR6 setup, here I come!

BTW, in case anyone is wondering...yes, my car is stock...no mods that could cause any slippage. (unless a ventectomy increases power)