New Passat TDI confirmed for U.S.

breind01

I just returned from another VW dealership who was pretty certain that they were going to start receiving some next week.

I'm on the fence now - am contemplating a very slightly used (10,000km) 2010 Passat Wagon. In comparing the the new with the old, it looks the the B7 doesn't have any roof rack mounting points at all (in the door frame). That's a negative as I like to use a cargo box for skiis in the winter. The 2.0T is no TDI, but it's no slouch either.

Decisions, decisions...
Checking inventory of a St. Louis Dealer, I notice they have on the lot 3 TDI Passats & 1 Gasser. The TDI colors are Tung. Silver, NIght Blue, & Plat Grey. The Gasser is Black.
We ordered a TDI SEL in the color Opera Red. Not seeing one we're hoping we like the color. Ordered on 9/8 & told should be in approx mid October.

wutbürger

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 CW Golf 4dr 6mt
St. Louis

6- Bommarito Hazelwood
7- Bommarito St. Peters
14- Suntrup VW

It's about a 25% TDI / 75% gasser split, to be expected

Seems like they are rolling in now..might go test drive one again this week without the 18" wheels, etc.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Checking inventory of a St. Louis Dealer, I notice they have on the lot 3 TDI Passats & 1 Gasser. The TDI colors are Tung. Silver, NIght Blue, & Plat Grey. The Gasser is Black.
We ordered a TDI SEL in the color Opera Red. Not seeing one we're hoping we like the color. Ordered on 9/8 & told should be in approx mid October.
X2 - On the Passat TDI SEL with the Opera Red. It looks like an awesome color. I also liked the one gray that appeared mainly to be green in tone. Can't remember the name maybe the Platinum Grey?

Just ordered this week (9/17). They state 6 weeks. They will know better once the build is started on when it will arrive.

BTW I am keeping my 2005 (and the second one too) in the family until I see how I like or dislike the 2012.

I have learned not to give up a car you love until you find another love. That sounds like cheating in a relationship. Yikes!

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Tungsten Silver is the lighter color, Reflex Silver being the lightest and Platinum Gray being the darker one. Not sure about the green hue thing, but you may have better eyes.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Platinum Grey doesn't look at all green to me, at least on the older cars I've seen it on. (It's a long-standing color in VW's lineup.)

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It might be the parking lot lights at the dealer. Depending on the type of light, vehilce paints can look vastly different.

ChasSidwa

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2006.5, Silver Diesel Edition
There is one on display at the Rockaway Mall here in NJ. Nice car especially with the TDI in it.

Seacoaster

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW TDI DSG
The opera red was almost to dark, it lacks brilliance, i saw one today. i think the graphite gray was the best looking IMO! Saw 5 different colors today!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I assumed the opera red was going to be the same as the routan red. Oh well, I'll stick with my tornado red.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
That was directed to the one who saw a gray car as greenish...
You know I could call you a jerk for a rude comment but since you are one of the long time good guys, I will cut you slack in that you were just being funny. :)

I was stating the color based on the swatch and now I just saw it today in person. It is dark and to me it still appears to be black/green in tint. I did NOT say it was GREEN like a real green just compared to the other three trillion versions of Gray that VW has, it leaned that way to me.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Every car has a unique vehicle identification number.

It's usually found near the base of the windshield...should be viewable from outside the car.

If your car is ever stolen this number is useful for identifying it if it's found later. Repo guys use them to identify the car that they are sent to collect.

The number can also be used to find info about your car. If you look it up you can find info like...when and where it was built, type of engine, etc.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
more info

Every car has a unique vehicle identification number.

It's usually found near the base of the windshield...should be viewable from outside the car.

If your car is ever stolen this number is useful for identifying it if it's found later. Repo guys use them to identify the car that they are sent to collect.

The number can also be used to find info about your car. If you look it up you can find info like...when and where it was built, type of engine, etc.
ok, a little more help

Vehicle Identification Number = VIN. # is redundent

breind01

The opera red was almost to dark, it lacks brilliance, i saw one today. i think the graphite gray was the best looking IMO! Saw 5 different colors today!
I agree after seeing the Opera Red last weekend on Dealer Lot. We changed our order to Black. Hopefully this does not set us back in line. Does anyone know if this change will result in a delay of any consequence?

oxford_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf '11
I agree after seeing the Opera Red last weekend on Dealer Lot. We changed our order to Black.
I like the red. I also like the light blue, but the red looks more "classy".

As far as my initial impressions compare with fuller impressions... I definitely prefer the TDI SE over the gas SE now. I've driven both longer distances and the TDI is more fun to drive and seems to require less effort. I find the car comfortable and insulated enough for noise. The gas SE I've tried recently that is a demo has a bouncier suspension than the non-demo TDI my friend has. Hopefully the TDI won't get bouncy like that.

If the computer is trustworthy, fuel economy is outstanding with the TDI once the engine has warmed up. It's not so impressive with the gasoline model.

rmeyer23

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
What are the dealers in your area quoting for delivery time on a new TDI SEL? I unfortunately have not seen the Opera Red which I hope looks as good in person as in the photos.

BTW a Subaru/VW dealer in the Cincinnati area told me the reason his dealership does not have a TDI SEL is because they are not making them yet. Did not have the heart to tell him I have already test drove one at a different Cincy dealer.

Also, how do I find out who the largest VW dealer is in my area (Cincinnati)?

Thanks, RM

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't they advertise that over there? How can they possibly pull you into their web if you don't know who the larger spider is? All you here down here is, "VW South is the largest in NC/SC", "Carolina VW is the largest dealer network in the southeast", "Keffer treats you like family"

breind01

What are the dealers in your area quoting for delivery time on a new TDI SEL? I unfortunately have not seen the Opera Red which I hope looks as good in person as in the photos.

BTW a Subaru/VW dealer in the Cincinnati area told me the reason his dealership does not have a TDI SEL is because they are not making them yet. Did not have the heart to tell him I have already test drove one at a different Cincy dealer.

Also, how do I find out who the largest VW dealer is in my area (Cincinnati)?

Thanks, RM
My Dealer in St. Louis told me approximately mid October for delivery. We placed our order on 9/8 so we're hoping for delivery week of 10/14.

breind01

My Dealer in St. Louis told me approximately mid October for delivery. We placed our order on 9/8 so we're hoping for delivery week of 10/14.
Update - As of today 10/15 no info on our TDI SEL order placed on 9/8. We're getting anxious. Hopefully this coming week we'll hear from our dealer on VIN # & are build date.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Update - As of today 10/15 no info on our TDI SEL order placed on 9/8. We're getting anxious. Hopefully this coming week we'll hear from our dealer on VIN # & are build date.
Don't hold your breath, I hear VW is filling standard dealer lot orders ahead of customer orders. In other words they want to get their production of what they want available on the lots out first and screw those of us who ordered. :)

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
They do have a big ad campaign going on right now.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Big ad campaign for cars they can't sell!

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
<SNIP>
<SNIP>

Thanks, RM
The SEL you test drove was one of the DEMONSTRATOR TDI Passats that each dealer was supposed to get. They were not available for immediate sale.

Bill

breind01

Don't hold your breath, I hear VW is filling standard dealer lot orders ahead of customer orders. In other words they want to get their production of what they want available on the lots out first and screw those of us who ordered. :)
Just informed by our Salesman yesterday that they have two TDI SEL for delivery in November. He could not confirm yet if one of those is ours. I'm keeping my fingers crossed however as when we placed our order on 9/6 there dealer allocation came up on 9/8 for two TDI's for November & we were told that our order would be one of them. So we're keeping our fingers crossed.