2011 TDI Jetta Sportwagen oil change schedule headache

RudyH

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
Hello: I need some help understanding my oil change intervals. My car has 15,000 miles on it. Just before a road trip a few months ago, I took the car into the dealer for its 10,000 mile service. I did that about 700 miles early because the road trip was to be 3500 miles and I wanted to make sure the oil got changed.

I have another upcoming road trip. This time I will have about 18,000 miles on the car when I start the road trip. After the road trip, the car will have about 21,500 - 22,000 miles on it.

What should I do about my service intervals? Should I keep taking the car in early or can I safely drive another 1500 to 2000 miles and then get the oil changed?

The complicating factor is that there is other service to be performed at these 10,000 mile intervals. I imagine that those can usually wait, but I'm used to getting oil changes done close to the recommended intervals.

Should I have them change the oil before the trip, and then the rest of the service after the trip? That would be a bit of a nuisance, but I'd be willing to do it.That would de-couple the oil change intervals with the other service intervals, though.

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
Perhaps, and I haven't looked into it yet, you can schedule it for a dealer
that is along your route somewhere? I can't imagine that you are bound to use the purchasing dealer. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong...(since I'm the noob)

RudyH

TDI
Sportwagen 2011
I thought of that, but I'd be losing some important vacation time, and I have a personal policy against having a car serviced within a week before a long trip. New components fail and mechanics make honest mistakes. I don't want to be in the boonies and then have a failure on the road. Also, it seems that a VW has a serious reputation problem for spotty quality of dealer service shops.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Judging from what I have learned about the high tech oils used in our TDIs, I would check oil levels and top off as necessary but wait to do the oil change until you get home. However, there is one possible issue with this. I read somewhere that VW dealers can only charge VW (as part of your "carefree maintenance") for service done within a thousand miles (plus or minus) of the scheduled mileage. I am not positive that this is true, so you might want to confirm this with a dealer. If this is not an issue, I would wait until you get home. If they will do your maintenance for free at 18,000 miles, it should also be free at 22,000 miles. As stated above, finding a dealer along the way is also an option - the scheduled maintenance is only fluid and filter changes, rotating tires and (if you are lucky) a free car wash. They should be able to do this in only few hours.

Have Fun!

Don

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Only other thing the 20K does is the fuel filter, if you are confident of the fuel you use is up to par (no crud no water) then I don't think there's anything wrong with stretching the oil change/service interval another 1K. I'm planning to go 11,000/12,000 on this oil change, seeing i'm picking up the tab on this change (40K) and i've already changed the fuel filter (35K).