What did you do to your car today?

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Not on my TDI (cause I don't have any ATM) I replaced the carrier bearing and u-joints on my 77 Chevy pickup with Richard's help. My 77 was special ordered new by my wife's grandfather and it finally turned over 100k miles recently. Grandpa has been dead since 1999 and it hasn't seen much duty since.

The u-joints and carrier bearing were pretty wasted. I spent several hours online trying to figure out which u-joints were needed, and struck out. I then spent a few hours with various parts folks who still gave wrong information even using the spicer and moog books.

As it turns out, a factory equipped 1977 C10 454 turbo 400 takes 3/4 ton u-joints at the first two joints and a combination inside C-ring/flat cup on the third joint. I had a very patient Advance Auto Parts manager spend the last hour of my search with me opening boxes and matching up sizes until we found some oddball (not even for GM) u-joint that fit the pinion yoke to 3rd joint.

I will have to say melting out the plastic snakes on the 3rd joint to remove it was pretty fun.

Truck is back together now and safe to drive again :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Picked up my ALH Wagon after various repairs

Dropped off my '99.5 Golf for a new heater core

Added DEF to my BMW

Filled both Wagons with diesel. (IBW and GSW).

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Resealed the leaky injection pump (unplanned maintenance).

Changed oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, cabin filter, cleaned shmegma from front fender liners (planned maintenence).

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Hey Bug where did you purchase these and can you share the price?
I have a 2015 SEL. Thanks!
I bought them on eBay. From SunnyHID. When I bought them, Ebay was running a 10% off coupon, so I only paid like $325 or so.

Here's a link to the same set I bought Passat LED Taillights

As the listing explains, they are not plug and play. They bolt right into the car, but the wiring is completely different.

You will need to build your own adaptors which would run you an additional $150 - $300 depending on how you wanted to rewire them.

Option 1 is to cut off the connector and splice in the connector that matches the taillights. This would run you about $150. You would need 4 connectors and 7 wires.

Option 2 is to cut off the connectors and splice on the connector that matches the plug on the car. This would run you about $150. You would need 4 connectors and 9 wires.

Option 3 is to build an adaptor harness that plugs in between the body harness and the taillights. Because you would need to buy 8 connectors and 19 wires, it would be about $300.

Then you would need a few resistors, but those are had cheap on amazon.

So, you can see you REALLY gotta want them. Because they are pricey f**kers. LOL.

noplug

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
Wow super pricey!! Yes I read about the issue adapting those lights but didn't know it would be so costly!
I think I'll hold for awhile for this upgrade!
Thanks for the info!![emoji108][emoji108]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Boost Gauge install

Installed my boost gauge today in my MK3. Found a cheap gauge pod :cool:

I'll be cutting it down so it sit lower and painting it flat black. It fits the gauge perfectly and sits in the useless cup holder too. The empty one is for my future EGT gauge.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
I will have to say melting out the plastic snakes on the 3rd joint to remove it was pretty fun :)
GM used that process back then? It is fun to make those snakes, my '94 used that process. Reminds of those "snakes" that we had as kids...ya know, they were the little black rounds of what seemed like charcoal you'd light with a match.....and they would grow. Ahh, childhood memories.... :D

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Installed my boost gauge today in my MK3. Found a cheap gauge pod :cool:

I'll be cutting it down so it sit lower and painting it flat black. It fits the gauge perfectly and sits in the useless cup holder too. The empty one is for my future EGT gauge.

Look good,
only issue I see is having the gauges sit so low, requiring you to take your eyes off the road.

aslspiderman

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Look good,
only issue I see is having the gauges sit so low, requiring you to take your eyes off the road.

Now that I have it all hooked up, I agree, it's too low. Eventually I'll move it to the pillar, along with an EGT and maybe an oil pressure gauge. Just wanted to get it installed. Now I know how much boost I'm making :rolleyes:

SoKYTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 4-door
Mostly just looked at it and wished the weather was warmer so I could pull the transmission and fix the (probably) borked shift forks...

I miss my car.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Noticed a growl from the rear and a few clunks that were unaccounted for over the last couple days...Got home, jacked the car up and found this.

https://youtu.be/ONj1mO_wEX0

Local NAPA had an SKF bearing and ABS sensor on the shelf so $110 and about an hour later we're back on the road (safely).

Can't complain, almost 300k miles and over 30K with a trailer. Hope the new one lasts as long as the old one.

FJ40Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS 5MT, '12 JSW DSG
Last week, I fired up car for a couple minutes of warm up & seat heater time before wife drove to work. After startup, and turning on seat heater, heater temp to max (engaging heater glowplugs), parking lights & radio, noticed idle was surging, lights flickering and there was a squeak from under hood. Determined OAD pulley was failing under heavy load. It was a crappy reman alt from Autozone.

Replaced with better (?) reman alt & OAD from CarQuest. Also changed tensioner assembly because of bad damper.
Now it charges fine, idle is smooth, and tensioner with new shock absorber runs perfect.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Osram LED headlights on my Mk7, incredible upgrade over halogens, and power folding mirrors... last week, late post.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Phase 1 Done. I have a several friends that returned TDIs that were part of the recall. They tried to sell me on a TDI years ago but I was/am in an unhealthy relationship with my 1.8T Mk4. I joined the diesel party late with a new old stock Mk7 and the plate was a message to them. Might change it to PH2 Done whenever I actually get it done. Then PH3 if I ever get out of Cali where I can do some deletes.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Today was the day our Golf got it's summer shoes back on. It's so quiet rolling down the street without that clicketyclack of the studs :)
Now it needs a wash inside and out...

My Skoda decided to throw a code, the oil level sensor reports that the oil is low but when I checked it wasn't.

kestromb

TDI
2003 Silver Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2005 GLI
Today I plan on fixing the sticky driver-side door latch with instructions from this thread, courtesy of the vortex:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107

Yesterday, I wired up the high beams so the low beams stay on simultaneously, also courtesy of the vortex:

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1167457

The day before I replaced the broken CCV valve and cleaned the engine bay with Eagle One mag cleaner and installed new LED (H3) bulbs in the headlights and LED hi beams (H7s).

Sootman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Bought a new to me TDI

I'm back in the diesel world, posted some info in the Mark 6 forum. No mods, no mods, no mods, ah crap of course I do mods.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
Yesterday, I wired up the high beams so the low beams stay on simultaneously, also courtesy of the vortex:
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1167457
You didnt do this on stock Jetta headlights, did you?

I would think two filaments burning inside the same glass capsule creating 110 watts of heat would cause the bulb to burn out (or possibly explode).

Of course, if you have aftermarket headlights where the high beam is separate from the low beam, it is not an issue.