Dlc 1019.. Wow

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Hello everyone. Got my dlc 1019s in the mail this morning from KermaTDI after some trouble with FedEx. Luckily Kerma's customer service is superb and they got me taken care of. But all I can say is wow... Its like a brand new car! I can't wait for a retune and SB Stage 2 endurance clutch. My IQ is around 5.2mg/str and It is smoky on WOT, but isn't really bad at half throttle (where i do most of my driving). I read somewhere not to worry about adjusting IQ until 500 Miles after the install to let the injectors break in? (I guess it kind of makes sense as clutches need a break in time too). Is this correct? Do I even need to adjust the IQ or is 5 about right? I am still running the stock little Gt15 so I am assuming that is where the smoke is coming from. I also have no EGR, no Cat and no mufflers so all particulate goes out the pipe. :D I was going to try the IQ at 6.0mg if yall agree that it should be moved. Is an EGT gauge a necessity? I do short WOT bursts and never hold WOT uphill or go to 100mph or anything like that. If i had a larger turbo I would for sure get one, but do I need one with my driving style?

Thank you,
Adam

tdanielson95

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI
I would get a EGT gauge for sure to keep an eye on things. Not sure on IQ. I have mine set at 5.8 right now and there is a light haze at WOT, would like to move it down some.... But i have a vnt17 turbo also.

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I have a 00 beetle. ALH, 5 speed, no cat, no muffler, 5 speed with G60-VR6 pressure plate and clutch. I'm running DLC1019 with no tune and a VNT15 and 10mm pump. My timing is dead smack in the middle on the graph (50). My IQ is at 5.8. I had it down at 4 before putting the nozzles in. With the new nozzles there was a TON of smoke at 4.0. I bumped it up 0.5 at a time until I got no smoke. 6.0 was no smoke. I then lowered it a little to 5.8 and the slightest haze at WOT. No haze at any other throttle positions. That seemed perfect but definitely less power than even at 5. Now that it's cold, the haze is gone, even at WOT. I can't decide if I want to go down (5.6ish) or advance the timing to the top of the graph.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Still smokey at 7.8mg. To get to the timing it is: Engine->Meas Blocks->Basic settings...correct? After I do that there should be the timing button somewhere on the bottom of the screen? It has been a while...

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Yes, check your timing. Engine controller>Measuring block 000 - GO>Basic Settings button on bottom left of screen>Timing Checker on bottom right of screen>select your engine. Timing should be on the top side of the graph. DBW likes it near the green line.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Not sure how much smoke we're talking about here. Might not be able to really get the smoke dealt with until the tune.

Set timing all the way up is what many advocate. I have it that way on the wife's car, with IQ set about 6.0 and there's no smoke from hers: DLC520 with Malone State 2. I am wanting to bring the IQ back down because I believe that it's negatively affecting cold starts. My car is still running with its stock settings (or darn close- iq 3.2 and timing just above mid graph) with those same nozzles and tune, and it'll smoke slightly at WOT, which I believe is ideal/optimal, and generally runs PERFECTLY well.

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
I believe it is the tune as well. I am shipping my injectors back today so I should get my hotswap money back by next week. Then I will be able to order my new clutch. I would like to wait to get my retune until after the clutch is put in. I will run the stock chips for 600 or so miles, which is a tank of fuel, to allow the clutch to break in before reinstalling the new retune.

http://vid578.photobucket.com/albums/ss225/adam3797/Mobile%20Uploads/trim.A94B0828-97DF-42B8-BCCC-0AE4B22CF50B.mp4

Here is a quick 2nd and 3rd pull at WOT at 8.0 mg/str. Will check timing today when I get a minute.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Every engine is different so you can't go by the numbers. My old black sedan was perfect around 2.0, my wagon is around 5.5 and still needs tweaking.

cal327

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 b4 passat, 1999.5 golf, 1998 jetta
Before the cam and the pd130 intake that is what my b4 looked like with the 1019s and a malone 3 I have cleared mine up alot with the intake and cam

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Timing is at 37...should i adjust it? Can any harm come from running it at 37 until i can adjust it?
WAY too low. You've got more fuel and it's being dumped in late -> smoke. As DBW stated, best to bump up to the top line (wanting to say that 75 sounds like the right kind of number, assuming, of course, you're running at operating temps when you measure).

I'm still not convinced that there's any magic number for IQ, I think that the best number is where everything is working the best (and that also includes starting).

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
Thank you DBW for the resourceful link. Headed outside in a few minutes to do the adjusting. With the timing at 37, I should be loosening and prying the pump towards the front of the vehicle, correct?

1998TDIMonster

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI 185k
After reading through DBW's clear directions, it was a piece of cake. Timing is now at 65 which is right on the green line. Car runs much better and cleaner now. Iq is somewhere around 7.8 and runs with a light haze instead of a cloud in 3rd at WOT. Thanks again to all who contributed.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
I have a 00 beetle. ALH, 5 speed, no cat, no muffler, 5 speed with G60-VR6 pressure plate and clutch. I'm running DLC1019 with no tune and a VNT15 and 10mm pump.
What's your mpgs like? Stuck between pp520s and dlc1019. Want a pick up in power and FE just looking for feedback. Could get my hands on a set of pp502s but I think that'll be a but much for what I'm looking for.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
What's your mpgs like? Stuck between pp520s and dlc1019. Want a pick up in power and FE just looking for feedback. Could get my hands on a set of pp502s but I think that'll be a but much for what I'm looking for.
You should be deciding between DLC520 and DLC1019. The pp520 are old news at this point. If you just want some power and fe I would get the DLC520. If power is more of a priority go DLC1019. If you are still stock I would go DLC520, but if a tune and clutch is in your future the either will be good. They should both get similar mpg with a proper tune made for those nozzles. DLC520 will behave better if you intend on not getting a tune.

Last edited:

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
You should be deciding between DLC520 and DLC1019. The pp520 are old news at this point. If you just want some power and fe I would get the DLC520. If power is more of a priority go DLC1019. If you are still stock I would go DLC520, but if a tune and clutch is in your future the either will be good. They should both get similar mpg with a proper tune made for those nozzles. DLC520 will behave better if you intend on not getting a tune.
Yea either way I was thinking dlc coating. I do plan on a tune at some point but not sure how soon I could get to it hence my indecisiveness. Thanks for input

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Yea either way I was thinking dlc coating. I do plan on a tune at some point but not sure how soon I could get to it hence my indecisiveness. Thanks for input
If you make any where north of 200 wtq expect the factory clutch to slip. You will want a LUK dmf or vr6 clutch. Not sure what your setup is like now, but something to keep in mind when selecting the tune/nozzles.

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
If you make any where north of 200 wtq expect the factory clutch to slip. You will want a LUK dmf or vr6 clutch. Not sure what your setup is like now, but something to keep in mind when selecting the tune/nozzles.
Yeah I've looked into clutch some which in time of course I will need no matter what. Currently have pd150 manifold and egr delete. Boost gauge set up and egt (somethings wrong with it so I gotta figure that out). Don't plan on doing turbo. Contemplating 11mm pump but definitely wanna do nozzles then tune when I can. I'm really looking to not lose mpgs in mid 40s but I wanna be able to have power when I want it.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
Yeah I've looked into clutch some which in time of course I will need no matter what. Currently have pd150 manifold and egr delete. Boost gauge set up and egt (somethings wrong with it so I gotta figure that out). Don't plan on doing turbo. Contemplating 11mm pump but definitely wanna do nozzles then tune when I can. I'm really looking to not lose mpgs in mid 40s but I wanna be able to have power when I want it.
With that information I would go with the DLC1019 and leave the 11mm pump alone unless your 10mm fails. Since you are in Pa get a hold of jeff at rocket chip when you are ready for a tune and get the RC2. Vr6 clutch should be able to hold that no problem. Mpg should be unaffected with 1019 and a tune if you can keep your foot off the floor :)

Lock_t

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 5spd 221k
With that information I would go with the DLC1019 and leave the 11mm pump alone unless your 10mm fails. Since you are in Pa get a hold of jeff at rocket chip when you are ready for a tune and get the RC2. Vr6 clutch should be able to hold that no problem. Mpg should be unaffected with 1019 and a tune if you can keep your foot off the floor :)
Fair enough, yea rc2 was the route I was planning on. Keeping your foot out of the floor seems the be mpgs nemesis with any mods.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
With that information I would go with the DLC1019 and leave the 11mm pump alone unless your 10mm fails.
+1 on that. You can fuel well enough with the 10mm pump. I agree with staying with stock turbo if it's working fine. I upgraded to VNT17 and got no difference.
One thing about peoples perception of smoke. What you see out your rear view mirror is not what someone sees if they are behind you. There should be a standard when discussing smoke.

h4vok

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDi 5sp 171k
+1 on that. You can fuel well enough with the 10mm pump. I agree with staying with stock turbo if it's working fine. I upgraded to VNT17 and got no difference.
One thing about peoples perception of smoke. What you see out your rear view mirror is not what someone sees if they are behind you. There should be a standard when discussing smoke.
Vnt17 with a tune can produce 5psi more boost so it can make quite the difference in power. If you just throw it on without tuning it probably won't be much different in that case.
The only standard I could think of would be an occupancy test like they do in states such as Colorado on diesel vehicles. "smoke free" being that it can pass the test is my definition. Most people smoke free is you can't see it in the rear view which means there is still some smoke back there like you said.

swetbak

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon, 2010 BMW 335d
Vnt17 with a tune can produce 5psi more boost so it can make quite the difference in power. If you just throw it on without tuning it probably won't be much different in that case.
I had a Kerma Tune before upgrading the turbo. When conversing with them about any perceived (or lack there of) improvement in power after installing the VNT17 this was their reply:
"Turbo doesn't matter, it's the fuel
turbo just keeps the smoke down
Right now you are at max fuel so no more power is available "

Had I known I wouldn't have invested in a bigger turbo.

atownbrg

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I've had my dlc1019 (set up by dbw) nozzles installed for about 10k miles now. Timing at the top, IQ set mechanically at 6-6.2. Boost in power was great and i really am happy with them. But my big problem is slow down shudder! Happens almost 100% of the time. Sometimes i'll start the car up cold and it will start shuddering right off the bat. A couple days ago I adjusted the IQ up to 7 in adaptation. SDS was reduced tremendously, but i've lost tons of power. This sucks... I do plan to get a tune after a clutch upgrade but am i going to have to deal with constant SDS with the extra power? My car did have SDS pretty good before the nozzle upgrade, I think my IQ was set at 5 or something to reduce it . SDS is a mystery and i don't know how to fix the issue.