Call me crazy! New member of the V10 family.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Picked this gem up today after secretly searching for them for a month. I made the mistake of driving a Porsche Cayenne Turbo, and it was all downhill from there.

It needs a right front wheel bearing, windshield chip repair or replacement, and two headlight bulbs (one is out). 139,000 miles, one owner, services exclusively at Lindsay VW in town for its entire life. Chris Farnham ran the VIN and a lot of typical 2004 things (according to him) have been done under warranty including replacement drive shaft, some emissions components, and something else that I can't remember.

Anyway, I thought long and hard about it, read on here and ClubTouareg, and decided to pull the trigger. It should have enough gadgets and electronics to keep Jason busy for a while - just hoping that nothing goes seriously south in the near future. :eek:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
Now you can tow 747s! And out-pull 3/4 ton diesel pickups!

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey
Nice find! I especially like the interior color combination!

Glad to hear that the prop shaft was replaced. That's big money out of pocket to have a VW dealer do the replacement.

Can you post a pic of the center dashboard area and also the rear center console area?

Just curious if you have all the fancy HVAC & heated seat options for the rear passengers.

Maybe we can have a Touareg tug of war at Winterfest! JK, I don't want to get spanked by your V10.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Have FUN with it. Nice car. The PORSCHE and the VW started their life in the same factory.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nice find! I especially like the interior color combination!

Glad to hear that the prop shaft was replaced. That's big money out of pocket to have a VW dealer do the replacement.

Can you post a pic of the center dashboard area and also the rear center console area?

Just curious if you have all the fancy HVAC & heated seat options for the rear passengers.

Maybe we can have a Touareg tug of war at Winterfest! JK, I don't want to get spanked by your V10.
This one has every option except 4-zone Climatronic, heated rear seats, and a heated steering wheel (sad, I know). The rear vents blow the same temp air as the front two zones (driver's side vs. passenger's side).

That's actually a good thing, as 4-zone adds a second evaporator and a second heater core. :eek:

The 2007 V10 that I looked at back in december had 4-zone and rear heated seats. I was a bit leery of it because there seemed to be some extra gear train noise. That one had a lifetime warranty offered by the selling dealer, though... that will undoubtedly end up haunting them. ;)

I'll post pics when it isn't dark out.

Last edited:

Sprocket

Sprockette's hubby
TDI
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Eco Diesel, 2005 Passat Silverstone Grey, 1996 Passat Storm Grey

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Or post a pic when it's dark out to showcase all those fancy lights & buttons!
But it's cold outside!

Okay, off I go. ;)

The soft touch plastic paint on the cruise control buttons is bubbling/peeling a little. Not as bad as some I have seen, though.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Congratulations. Did this morning's weather have anything to do with it?
Not at all, although it was nice to test drive it in a snowy parking lot today. The sport tires aren't very good in the snow, though. I drove it a bunch yesterday, too... got a pretty good feel for everything before taking the plunge.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
This TDI will embarrass a Corvette for the first few car lengths... found that out on a test drive several years ago.

4 wheel drive, dual turbos, 553 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm. 0-60 of around 7.5 seconds, but the first 50 feet are very quick!

Congrats, I wish I could afford one!

Bill

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Ahem*

VeeDubTdi = Crazy.

Nice find.

I'm test driving 335d sedans. One was snappy and one was a D.O.G. with more turbo lag than both my Tdi's combined. How many did you test drive before buying?

PS: looking at photos in post #8, I'm pretty sure the space shuttles had fewer lights/buttons. ;p

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Ahem*

VeeDubTdi = Crazy.

Nice find.

I'm test driving 335d sedans. One was snappy and one was a D.O.G. with more turbo lag than both my Tdi's combined. How many did you test drive before buying?
I drove it about 15 miles yesterday (mostly interstate and back roads) and another 10 miles today (mostly neighborhood, snow, and main drags). I went over the whole truck for about two hours yesterday and again for two hours today, stood and stared at it for about 30 minutes having second thoughts, then decided that it was too good to let go.

I also put calls in to several people on the forum, including mrchill and Chris Farnham. Chris ran the VIN through the computer and gave me info on all of the warranty work that had been done, and sent me the Carfax. He asked his service guy about it and everything checked out as far as they could tell. And last night I spent about three hours reading all of the SSPs for the Touareg, the V10, and the AISIN 6-speed transmission, in addition to a bunch of stuff on Club Touareg including that epic rebuild thread.

Research research research.

Bonus item: I got 29 MPG according to the dash on the way home. :eek: Can't wait to put my first tank in Fuelly.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Wow nice new ride. You guys have to come on over to show it off.:)

Jeremy Hoover over at PD Autowerks. He knows a lot about Toureg. When I was there he had a v10 at his shop. His shop is about 40 mins from me in Ashburn

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Tonight's discovery is that the paddle shifters were not an option, and added by the previous owner, along with a chrome Phaeton start/stop button. Nice to get someone's truck who liked to tinker with it and mod it. So far everything looks like it was done well/correctly.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
LOL :D nice! hahahaha jason must be going bonkers by now on gadegetry overload lolol :eek:

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
So did this replace the Van? or do you still have that too ? :D

Either way, Nice score!

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
HAHAHAH you did it! I'm impressed you had the stones to pull the trigger, congrats!

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Nice SUV. I have 4x T-regs I have been collecting over the years (two v8's and two v6's. my v8's are loaded most all options. I especially like the heated steering wheel. My winter beater (below) I take north snowmobiling. I have resisted the v6 and v10 tdi's since working on them and bad experience with fuel gelling in the cummins at -30degF.

Enjoy your ride, awesome truck.

Jeff ;-))

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Nice SUV. I have 4x T-regs I have been collecting over the years (two v8's and two v6's. my v8's are loaded most all options. I especially like the heated steering wheel. My winter beater (below) I take north snowmobiling. I have resisted the v6 and v10 tdi's since working on them and bad experience with fuel gelling in the cummins at -30degF.

Enjoy your ride, awesome truck.

Jeff ;-))

Hey Jeff! How is the "winter beater" holding up to the road salt? Any signs of rust or corrosion? Mine is spotless underneath and I'd like to keep it that way... hopefully that doesn't mean completely avoiding salt.

jsrmonster

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
15 Golf SW DSG, RC3 piped, 99.5 Jetta Rocket PD150 6spd 4motion, 2000 ASV110 RC6 "Silverbullet" 5spd Race Car, 2003.5 Cummins QCLB 4x4 "Blue Monster" Jeep CRD juiced, MB Sprinter van juiced up
Just like any car or truck, you need to get under it with a power washer to clean away winter/salt grime after trips. If not, salt will eat everything. I use a low-pressure tip.

When I get back from snowy trips up north, I spend alot of time cleaning up underneath enclosed trailer and truck. My biggest concern is corrosion in and around the radiator/condenser core support areas. I have thought about blocking the front with a bra. I keep the engine covers, belly pans, and skid plates in place and this helps keep engine bay clean. Jack up the air bags to xtra height and clean them good too.

My best advice is not to follow too close to trucks etc that give off big spray, and don't drive in heavy traffic on snow covered roads.

VW does a very good job with corrosion protection on their cars/suv's. My Jeep Liberty CRD requires alot more attention to surface rust and corrosion and requires additional prep and undercoating every year. I really don't drive the CRD in the winter much, since I have the T-regs. hehe

Jeff

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It needs a right front wheel bearing, windshield chip repair or replacement, and two headlight bulbs (one is out).
The soft touch plastic paint on the cruise control buttons is bubbling/peeling a little.
It's obviously a lemon... I'll do you a favor and trade you my 2001 Golf for it...

Yuri

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Plastic front wings = no rust there, but the one place you need to keep an eye on is the lower curved inside edge of the rear doors where the folded over steel sits on the door frame rubber at the forward part of each of the rear wheel arches.

These edges rust from the inside out and, if caught before the 10 years perforation warranty is up, mean VW should replace your door FOC.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Thanks for the info guys. I have a quarter blaster car wash not too far away and I'll definitely spend a good amount of time getting it cleaned up on a regular basis.

I have 6 months left on the 10 year rust warranty, but so far there is no rust, which is good.