Stiff Manual Shifting in Cold Weather

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
I've noticed that when outside temps go below freezing, first thing in the morning it's extremely difficult to manually shift my golf (and sometimes me) into first and second gears until I cycle through the gears a few times and things warm up. Seems like the shifter just doesn't want to go into gear. I genersally justget in the car and go without allowing the engine to idle for any lengh of time. Is this a sign of something that needs repairing/replacing. Doesn't seem like it should be normal to me.

TDI4all

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5spd
How many miles on the Golf ? Have you ever changed the transmission fluid ? Maybe the hydraulic clutch fluid is low or the transmission fluid is low. Just a couple of things to check.

Smalls

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Jetta TDI
It's the oil thickening from the colder temps. Completely normal. This is pending that you've ruled out anything with the clutch and just in the shifter "feel"

You may be able to change out the fluid for a different brand. I know my 99.5 didn't care much for redline oils when it was cold. The Amsoil worked like a charm however.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
I recall the first time the trans oil was changed it was stiff for a couple of years--until I had it changed again. non-syth was used on the first change, and proper synth after that. Even after 50k and in sub-zero weather it shifts pretty good--I can tell it's cold, but it goes into gear.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Yeah, I've owned manual-shift VWs that spec'd dino and synthetic transmission fluid. The synth ones shift so much easier than the dino transmissions. That's like moving the gear lever in oatmeal for the first several miles....

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
At about 120k on my car I changed the fluid: got the car with just under 115k. Shifting was horrible. I don't live in a climate that gets very cold, but, nonetheless, when it was colder it was even worse. Changed to AC Delco Syncromesh with friction modifiers and it's like a totally new/different/better trans. Did the same with the wife's car.

There's no reason to put up with crappy shifting!

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
OK. I'll plan to change the tramsmission fluid with synthetic fluid while the belly pan is removed to replace the dog gone mount.
Before I started it this morning, I shifted between 1st and 2nd several times and it seemed to start easier than normal when temps are below freezing like they were last night and shifting wasn't as difficult.

Why isn't shifting between 2-3 or higher an issue if it's the cold oil causing the stiff shifting.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Why? Gates and stuff... There's plenty of info out there that explains how transmissions work.

Change the fluid with quality synchromesh and be happy:)

Last edited:

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
Why? Gates and stuff... There's plenty of info out there that explains how transmissions work.

Change the fluid with quality synchromesh and be happy:)
Just wondering I guess. Don't care to be an expert on transmissions. Thought I'd ask someone who knows. Ask me about photography and cameras if you're interested.