Best Diesel fuel!!!

Strykeviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5 speed swap, 2002 Jetta Wagon, 2015 Passat SEL, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I fill up at Shell and my mileage is consistent. Hess and Mobil seem to hurt my mileage. I instantly lose up to 8mpg on Hess and my in-laws 2010 DSG got 31mpg on Mobil...

jgeorge

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 audi a3 tdi
Both my 03 golf, and our 2010 a3 get the best mileage with Husky Dieselmax, + 3oz Lubecorp premium diesel plus. Petrocan, esso and shell never give the same mileage. Also use it for the extra lubricity additive package with Husky.

Charrigan

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
Anyone with a CR tdi be careful with some BP stations.
My 3 local BP stations use 25% bio in the summer blend. From what I've read it could cause fuel pump issues on 09+ tdi's.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
My 3 local BP stations use 25% bio in the summer blend. From what I've read it could cause fuel pump issues on 09+ tdi's.
I've heard differently, on this site. Excess biodiesel can dilute the engine oil, but the lubricity could help the CR pump.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...and he did say "SOME" BP stations. I haven't seen bio in the DC area BP/Amoco stations.
I daresay it won't be too long before we start reading about DPF issues, as engines start to pass the 100k mile mark. Then we can all analyze the various combinations of bio/additives that have been tried.
Hopefully, we'll find the part to be over-engineered...

VWDoggy

TDI
2012 golf
Contacted BP on a mis-labled pump (ethanol sticker) and asked about Cetane and bio-diesel content. Here is the reply; interestingly according to this person any fuel over B5 must be labeled per the FTC.

Hello Gerry,

We very much appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. I elevated it to the Jobber Sales Manager and Brand Manager.
I have been informed the label was removed by COB yesterday.

Some general information you might be interested in:
- Dispenser labeling requirements vary by state. Some having very detailed requirements while other have almost none. I don't believe OH has any particular labeling requirements for bio-diesel. However the FTC requires all diesel fuel containing >5% biodiesel to be labeled. the example below covers 6-20%, no label is required for 5% or less.

- I have attached a Product Information sheet for BP Diesel along a couple of Technical Bulletins which you may find of interest.

Thanks again for you interest in BP fuels.

Mark Matthews
Technical Service Engineer
BP, Global Fuels Technology
150 W. Warrenville Rd.
Naperville, IL 60563, MC J-8

pinkertonfloyd

Veteran Member
TDI
14' Subie Outback FMR: 12' Jetta TDI/P+N
Not true. For example, BP has a refinery in Whiting, IN that only produces their Premium Diesel products (per the owner of a station I used to frequent in MI). As far as I know, the refining process is one way of upping the cetane.
Uhhhhh... Look up how oil is refined. You don't grab a tank of Oil and say "I'm only going to make gas out of it"). Basically Crude contains all the different types of fuels, which have different boiling points. They distill the crude, and capture the different types of fuel from it. IE: At the lower temps you get gas, that is captured, and stored into tank as gas, at a higher temp you get diesel and fuel oil, again that's captured, you then heat it up more and you get lube oil and so on.

Great example of the process
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/energy/oil-refining4.htm

lddrew

TDI
none yet :(
be careful of high turnover truck stops. a lot of time these stations have some of the lowest quality fuel. a 14 liter cummins might not mind some extra water and contaminants, but our much smaller and more refined fuel systems are much more sensitive.

2 of the 3 tanks of bad fuel I have gotten are from places where big rigs fill up

also avoid walmart/costco like the plague. I have seen pictures of tanks from there that are orange and there are large particles of asphaltenes floating in it

for the crappiness of north american diesel i recommend some aftermarket filtration. i run an adapter that allows me to use any filter for a certain CAT filter head. 3 micron absolute donaldson filters for $6.50, big improvement over 4 micron nominal and 35 dollar stocker

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
My local BP station sell Biodiesel. I think the label show B20. Is that safe fuel to use in 2010 TDI?
You may need to reduce your oil change interval, as CR TDIs with the diesel particulate filter could be at risk from fuel contamination of the crankcase oil.

B02-B05 should be reasonably safe. But VW warns against anything over B05 in the common rail TDIs.

TdiTaff

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Golf TDi 5Speed
d-man,
I was very pleasantly surprised to see that they've just started selling diesel at the Costco in Eagle CO. Cheaper than the surrounding area and i've had no problems with it although I haven't got my consumption worked out for that tank yet.

NewLyme

Veteran Member
TDI
His 2006 Jetta TDI DSG. Hers 2016 Touareg TDI 2013 Golf TDI DSG Buyback
be careful of high turnover truck stops. a lot of time these stations have some of the lowest quality fuel. a 14 liter cummins might not mind some extra water and contaminants, but our much smaller and more refined fuel systems are much more sensitive.
2 of the 3 tanks of bad fuel I have gotten are from places where big rigs fill up
also avoid walmart/costco like the plague. I have seen pictures of tanks from there that are orange and there are large particles of asphaltenes floating in it
for the crappiness of north american diesel i recommend some aftermarket filtration. i run an adapter that allows me to use any filter for a certain CAT filter head. 3 micron absolute donaldson filters for $6.50, big improvement over 4 micron nominal and 35 dollar stocker
I have recently checked in with a locally/family owned fuel company about putting in my own tank so I do not have to deal with bad fuel issues. He also warned me about the truck stops. They are not in the market to sell you the best fuel. They buy the cheapest theycan find to make money. He also said the cetane is not like octane. Cetane only comes into play on start up and until the engine is up to temp. They sell regular and premium diesel. The difference in the two, premium has the additives regular does not. I am trying out their fuel now and I hope to have my tank soon.

Solshd

TDI
2012 VW Jetta SW TDI, 6SpdMan,White Gold, Sunroof
First, thanks to all for the insights. Time to give back a little.

Here in SE Wisconsin, I have learned that BP Diesel Premier is discontinued. I bought my last tank a month ago. Searching around to learn more, I found helpful and interested people at E. H. Wolf, in Slinger. These folks are fuel jobbers in nearly all of eastern WI. Their trucks are the dark blue tankers. They transport for BP and Chevron. They are the B100 suppliers for this area, too.

My first contact, by phone, was with a Bill Schmitz, who was willing to spend 20 minutes talking with me, knowing I was simply a VW TDI owner who wanted to learn. A few weeks later, I went to visit them late in the afternoon on Friday. I met a fellow named Tim Glenn. He also cared enough to sit down with me for 45 minutes and explain the BP Premier diesel fuel discontinuance, and furher that they were ramping up their own "premium" diesel fuel for those who wanted it. They were going to call it Wolf PDF.

Thing is, it may not be supported by BP Premier or Supreme pump tags (query, is there a difference between Premier or Supreme?). How to know? He gave me a short list of stations which would carry the PDF. Tim was also concerned this could change and encouraged me to check back to be sure. They have the additives and biodiesel and the rest available to purchase in Slinger for those who want to do it themselves, but he said I did not need it if I was buying their stuff. He was a straight shooting, no pressure, earnest, caring guy who could have sold stuff but felt I was better served by not doing that. He stayed late that day to help me. Perhaps it had something to do with him leaving in a bright red 2011 Golf TDI.
Yes, they eat their own cooking and they know who we are. I topped off with their PDF before I left, but it was difficult because they are set for huge trucks and the pumps have the fat nozzles. But, I have my short list now.

Wolf additizes to make their PDF. Rough Specs: Cetane minimum is 44W, 47S. Anti-gel, anti-ice, de-emulsifier, lube, biocide. The additive is different summer and winter, since nearly half the volume of the winter PDF is anti gell, anti-ice, which protects to -50 F(ice), -15F (CP). Each blue tanker truck has a large tank of their additive (Diesel Guard, made by Valvtect, of Northbrook, IL). They entrain-mix it as it is delivered from the big blue tanker. PDF will have 10 gallons of additive mixed into a full load of #2. The extra cost is 5-10 cents a gallon.

A few weeks later, I could not tell what a BP in Waukesha was pumping and the persons there really did not know, so I called Tim, when they said they do buy from Wolf. He had them hand me an invoice and explained how to read it and how to know if it was PDF. It was not. It was untreated #2. This was February, but we are experiencing a MO winter this year in Wisco. Tim checked. He was able to tell me they do buy from Wolf, but he noted that station also took deliveries from Klemm Tank Lines (probably straight #2), so I should plan on additizing when I purchase there. Helpful, or what?

Tim suggested asking for the last invoice if someone doesn't know. That can be helpful and one can educate the person at the counter if they care. So, how to read an invoice? If the delivery is straight #2, that will always be on the invoice. They additize to winterize. Wolf does not mix in kerosene or #1. The additive will be indicated as 10 gallons of additive right there on the invoice.

BTW, I have not seen #1/#2 mix so far this winter and I'm not sure if anyone tells us. FHR fuels (Kwik-Trip) diesel is also additized to winterize and they label both. The straight #2 label says not suitable for winter.

Summarizing, Wolf's people are great, they care and they will help you if you call or visit. Look for their dark blue tanker trucks at BP and Chevron stations. They truck the eastern half of WI from four terminals from IL, to Granville, Waupun, to Green Bay.

The short list:
-Slinger - Schaefer BP just W of USH 41 & STH 60 on N side of highway
-Brookfield - Corner Market BP - Bluemound Road & Moorland Rd. - that's Brookfield Square and the SE corner of that intersection where Flemings Steakhouse is. Their sign says premium diesel, too, for about 5 cents more. Premium is all they sell
-Waukesha Hop-IT Market BP - least expensive Diesel - always - this year. Usually 10-15 cents less. So far always #2, not winterized. USH 164/USH 59 south of Arcadian/Greenfield and N of Pearl.
-Brookfield BP on Calhoun Road at Ruby Isle Shopping Center (used to sell Premium - not since Premier was discontinued - buy maybe again).

This post thanks them and thanks all you great TDI people, too.

williamgd2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
I have found what I think is the best fuel in my area Ct. Irving station rt.6 Chaplin Ct. High turnover and I can immediatlly feel the power and performance improvement after fillup.They also sell B20 biodiesle that I have tryed but try to stay away from because of potential Vw warrentee issues on my 2010 Jetta.Vw states B5 only for my car. I DO NOT work for or even know anyone at that Irving station.The statements I made are just my Honest observation but try it before calling me a lier.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Heaven is having 3 Country Mark stations within 10 miles of where I sit typing this. High cetane diesel, straight from the Middle America.
I've been using CountryMark Premium-R diesel for the past two years. I always refuel at the Lebanon, IN station, and I've noticed a large number of city, county, and state vehicles fueling up there. I discovered that station owners have the option of adding biodiesel to their diesel, 2% or 5%, even though this isn't marked on the pump (I asked). My station went up to B-5 last year and, at that level, CountryMark inspects the tanks for water. This company seems to be way ahead of the curve in confronting the problem of poor quality diesel in this country.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I have recently checked in with a locally/family owned fuel company about putting in my own tank so I do not have to deal with bad fuel issues. He also warned me about the truck stops. They are not in the market to sell you the best fuel. They buy the cheapest theycan find to make money. He also said the cetane is not like octane. Cetane only comes into play on start up and until the engine is up to temp. They sell regular and premium diesel. The difference in the two, premium has the additives regular does not. I am trying out their fuel now and I hope to have my tank soon.
Ask owner-operators how much it would cost for them to replace an engine or to repair a damaged injection system.

It's true that their trucks have better filtration systems, with water separators that actually work. But if one trucker gets a bad tank of fuel, by the time he spreads the word about that station then 1000 other truckers will know.

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
I experienced Shell GTL Diesel, it really makes difference on the engine sound and makes feel reving a bit faster.

But fuel consumption increases and GTL is much more expensive.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
No one's subjective feelings really matter unless in can be tested in a laboratory or found when an engine is torn down and examined. Show me the evidence.

hakanerdogan

TDI
1.4 TDI 80 hp (BNV)
No one's subjective feelings really matter unless in can be tested in a laboratory or found when an engine is torn down and examined. Show me the evidence.
That's for sure but you know there we are just writing our self experience, so it's not a technical test, just a way to tell people try and might share the same opinion, or not :)

As the title says, "Best Diesel Fuel", how can I know :) just self experiment.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Does anyone know about the quality/specifications of Homeland Diesel Fuel? Their stations are very clean around here and they are the most convenient place for me to fill up, but I can't get them to respond through their online contact form.

vdubtdi11

TDI
2011 golf TDI
I agree that premium diesel signs don't always mean a different fuel, but BP does in fact refiine and sell two grades of diesel that have "premium" attributes.
Have a look here: http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

I've yet to find any other major oil company publish specs on their "premium" diesel. :(
And based on the new TDI fuel pump issue, should we have a fuel system problem based on THEIR fuel, they will pay our costs. So I am banking that BP may be the way to go. They guarantee their diesel is going to be of quality. Thats a pretty strong argument should the HPFP issue really be caused by mixed fuel..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I agree that premium diesel signs don't always mean a different fuel, but BP does in fact refiine and sell two grades of diesel that have "premium" attributes.
Have a look here: http://mybpstation.com/fuels/diesel/bp-supreme/

I've yet to find any other major oil company publish specs on their "premium" diesel. :(
I didn't find any specs at that link and only one kind of diesel discussed. ULSD.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I am guessing the link has changed since the post is nearly 2 years old. I don't think BP offers the "Premium" fuel anymore.