Low Beam Headlight Bulb?

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
I could not find the low beam headlight bulb info in the owners manual. Does anyone either know where to find this info for all our 2010 JSW TDI bulbs or specifically know bulb type for the low beam headlight? ie. H7 or 9006?

Thanks!

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
light bubs

fleuger - what are you upgrading to?

2010GWTDI

TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I just put in a set of Philips X-Treme H7 HIR bulbs. Wow, what a difference over the stock Halogens. I did a ton of research and HIR is as close as you can get to the brightness and lighting pattern of true HID lights. They were not too expensive, $52.99 on eBay, but the change at night is incredible. I had HID's in my GTI and was really worried about going back to stock halogens. These bulbs wiped away my concerns completely.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Car901 said:
fleuger - what are you upgrading to?
Hey,

How is sunny FL? ;)

I wanted something brighter than the OEM lights. My last 4 cars have had HID's and I miss the great lighting. I've used several yellow bulbs from Hoen in the past for fogs but their HID "like" bulbs are 70W and 80W which I'm scared will fry the 50W OEM connectors.

Someone I know suggested these and despite being pricy he said have excellent lighting and are 55W. So, I might give these a try.

http://www.piaa.com/Bulbs/Bulbs-H7.html

Last edited:

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I thought the OEMs were 55 watts? Also, I ran some of those PIAAs in my Audi A4 and no way were they putting out "110 watts of light for 55 watts." I used to have true 100-watters in my Ford camper van (!) and so I know what 100 watts looks like as the paint begins to bubble on the trunk of the car in front of me [g].

The PIAAs were adequate, but appear to overdrive the filaments, giving more light but for a shorter lifespan. Not worth it IMHO.

-dan

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
danham said:
I thought the OEMs were 55 watts? Also, I ran some of those PIAAs in my Audi A4 and no way were they putting out "110 watts of light for 55 watts." I used to have true 100-watters in my Ford camper van (!) and so I know what 100 watts looks like as the paint begins to bubble on the trunk of the car in front of me [g].

The PIAAs were adequate, but appear to overdrive the filaments, giving more light but for a shorter lifespan. Not worth it IMHO.

-dan
Dan,

You are correct, they are 55W, my error. Thanks for the heads up on the PIAA bulbs. Hmmm, now I have to think what to do next :confused:

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
fleuger99 said:
Dan,

You are correct, they are 55W, my error. Thanks for the heads up on the PIAA bulbs. Hmmm, now I have to think what to do next :confused:
On the F800 forum, lots of folks have tried various bulb swaps and most have been unhappy with the results (or toasted their wiring or the bulb housing). So the consensus there is go for a full HID conversion or live with the OEM lights.

My plan is to wait for fogs on the JSW, as they do a decent job of filling the gaps in the halogen low beams, which is what I need most as my eyes get older.

-dan

Car901

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6spd, Black, in and out - traded for '17 Alltrack
fleuger99 said:
Hey,

How is sunny FL? ;)

.....I've used several yellow bulbs from Hoen in the past for fogs but their HID "like" bulbs are 70W and 80W which I'm scared will fry the 50W OEM connectors.
Sunny - No. Warm - No. Looking forward to getting back home, but not the drive. When I put the Silverstars in the war wagon, I fried both sockets in short order. Ended up with a custom harness w/ 12ga. wiring and relays to drive the bulbs...OEM wiring at the socket seemed to be 18 - 20ga w/ severe voltage drop.

The harness came from here: www.suvlights.com

Last edited:

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
fleuger99 said:
Dan,

fleuger99,

What did you end up doing... Did you go with PIAA?

Thanks in advance.

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Ram.Vasu said:
fleuger99,

What did you end up doing... Did you go with PIAA?

Thanks in advance.
Ram.Vasu I ended up doing nothing yet. Instead I had a 3M Clear Bra installed to take my mind off the head lights :p

I have higher priority things, like H&R Sport Springs and next month buying Pirelli rubber for my Karthoums and having it all installed. Then I'll revisit head light replacement bulbs....that is unless the VW Fogs are available then it will be fogs and Hoen Yellow bulbs for those.

Did you do anything with your head lights?

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
fleuger99,

Well - just ordered a pair of Philips X-Treme Power H7 from Powerbulbsdirect in EBAY store - they are shipped from UK, they are only $ 35.10 including shipping. Have not received them yet - will let you know how it goes.

BTW - which part of the MA you are in.. and I am in Lexington/ Burlington area.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Those look good and get good reviews, but with the caveat that bulb life is shorter because the filaments are "overdriven" to achieve the higher output. As with so many things automotive, there's no free lunch.

-dan

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
Ram.Vasu said:
fleuger99,

Well - just ordered a pair of Philips X-Treme Power H7 from Powerbulbsdirect in EBAY store - they are shipped from UK, they are only $ 35.10 including shipping. Have not received them yet - will let you know how it goes.

BTW - which part of the MA you are in.. and I am in Lexington/ Burlington area.
Let me know how those bulbs work for you once you have them installed. I live in Norfolk MA (Not too far from the Wrenthum Outlets). I was messaging Car901 and we were talking about getting together next month for a beer. Anyone else interested we should have a mini JSW TDI/Golf TDI GTG. We could see where everyone is coming from and meet somewhere at the mid-way point for the majority.

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
Agree - there is no free lunch, I had silverstars on my past accord - even they use to blew quicker than the regular halogens, I am only hoping these stay little longer :eek:, for the price ($35/ pair) same as silverstar Philips should be better I hope - these use to $75+....

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
danham said:
Those look good and get good reviews, but with the caveat that bulb life is shorter because the filaments are "overdriven" to achieve the higher output. As with so many things automotive, there's no free lunch.

-dan
Dan, how much shorter life, any idea? Thanks!

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
I am in (for the beer) - let me know :)

Just noticed all the people communicating on thread are from MA

Last edited:

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
fleuger99 said:
Dan, how much shorter life, any idea? Thanks!
I really have no idea, but I'm tempted to start with their claim of 80% more light and wonder out loud if that means 80% shorter life. I doubt it, but if you figure the fancy glass and gas combo provides half the boost, then perhaps a 40% reduction in life? Very hard to say.

I know that the Sylvania Silverstars I tried in my Audi lasted very roughly half as long as the standard bulbs, but that is an extremely unscientific comparison.

Depending on how hard it is to get at ours, it might be a reasonable tradeoff - I'm just being a PITA by pointing out that there is ALWAYS going to be a tradeoff [g].

Now, on to a non-PITA subject -- I'd be willing to put some miles on the JSW for a mini-GTG.

-dan

fleuger99

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI
danham said:
I really have no idea, but I'm tempted to start with their claim of 80% more light and wonder out loud if that means 80% shorter life. I doubt it, but if you figure the fancy glass and gas combo provides half the boost, then perhaps a 40% reduction in life? Very hard to say.

I know that the Sylvania Silverstars I tried in my Audi lasted very roughly half as long as the standard bulbs, but that is an extremely unscientific comparison.

Depending on how hard it is to get at ours, it might be a reasonable tradeoff - I'm just being a PITA by pointing out that there is ALWAYS going to be a tradeoff [g].

Now, on to a non-PITA subject -- I'd be willing to put some miles on the JSW for a mini-GTG.

-dan
Yup, was just wondering. Even 50% less life for 80% better lighting seems like a fair trade, especially at the prices Ram.Vasu found the bulbs for on ebay.

Yes, figured you'd want to attend ;) That's why I said depending on where the majority of folks are coming from we'd find a location suitable to most. Maybe mid March or late march when the weather is okay to be standing outside for more than 15 minutes.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i ordered a set of those philips extreme. just waiting for them to come in. I'll post some pics and reviews when they come in

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Yes, we'll need better weather, especially as my blood will have thinned from a late Feb/early March road trip to FL by way of VA, NC and SC.

Keep me posted,

-dan

aenea

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I've been very happy with these:

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

They run 10 watts more than stock, but put out almost 50% more light. It's not HID brightness, but I don't get sad when I turn on the lights anymore. They aren't white in any way, so if you're looking for a color change, these aren't the bulbs you're looking for.

The +80% bulbs aren't really 80% brighter. They put out about 1500 lumens and have a small, tighter filament that, hopefully, puts more light in the center of the hotspot and makes it appear "80%" brighter.

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
aenea said:

They run 10 watts more than stock, but put out almost 50% more light. It's not HID brightness, but I don't get sad when I turn on the lights anymore. They aren't white in any way, so if you're looking for a color change, these aren't the bulbs you're looking for.

The +80% bulbs aren't really 80% brighter. They put out about 1500 lumens and have a small, tighter filament that, hopefully, puts more light in the center of the hotspot and makes it appear "80%" brighter.
Since these are 65W instead of the OEM is only 55W, What does it do the for the connectors and computer checks etc....

Red Lion

TDI
2010 Jetta Sport Wagon
I went with some name brand "brighter" bulbs in my '00 Accord. They were brighter.....not for long and when they went they blew apart in the head light housing....that was a nice added perk of expensive short life bright bulbs, unremovable broken bulb in housing to always remind me what a a#$ I was to buy them in the first place.

Ram.Vasu

TDI
2010 JSW (Past)
Received my Phillips X-Tream (from UK - powerbulbs.com) today and put them in (what a pain to put them in on the driver side) - While I can see little difference from the stock bulbs not that much difference :mad:

Fobulous

TDI
2010 VW TDI Man

Tweak3D

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW

I've been running these for over a year and they are perfect and as good as you are going to get in the stock housings. They get my approval for sure. Tired of replacing expensive bulbs every 6 months.