Possible side excursions ??

PDX_Flyer

TDI
'06 Jetta Sedan
I am new here, but I was wondering if anyone might be interested in an organized/non-organized rally from TDIFest H.Q. to one of the outstanding Oregon scenic locations, say Mt. Hood (Timberline Lodge), the Coast, the Gorge or even around the Portland Metro area could work.

Might be fun ...

tongboy

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Jetta TDI Swap, 97 M3 LS1 Swap
i'm sure the falls would be a popular choice, same goes for a quick zip up to pittock mansion for a view of the city or similar.

family fun could be had at the zoo or omsi for sure.

ozmosis

TDI
2010 Jetta Sport Wagon
I would suggest a ride out to Cannon Beach, then sea side and eventually through Astoria. Its a sweet ride and you don't have to come back on the same route so it keeps it fresh. Cannon beach makes a great pit stop and stretch for all not to mention the eye popping views. I have a house on Mt. Hood so I guess it's nothing new for me. But for those who haven't been its worth the trip.

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Go out the gorge on I-84, across the bridge of the gods at cascade locks, then back HWY 14.

It's a good drive. When going out the the gorge you could even take the old columbia river hwy, but you won't get your TDI out of 2nd gear on that road on a sunny day :D.

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
Previously:'02 Jetta. Now: '13 Subaru XV Crosstrek!
Just some food for thought, we (the fest committee) are currently brainstorming about a potential "scavenger hunt/road rally" idea, and the logistics behind it. So bear in mind.. it's being considered. Also, please feel free to post any ideas, and we'll gladly take them into consideration. ;)

And... if anyone wants to join our group of volunteers and head up this project, please let us know and we can get you hooked up with all the low down info you need. :D
Contact Keli_OR for volunteer information.

Blackberry

TDI
2010 Golf 4 door
I'm new here, and new to TDI, having only had mine for a month, but since TDIFest is in PDX, I'll be there! I've lived in Portland for nearly 20 years, and I'd be happy to direct people to fun things to see, lead excursions, and even take some folks to some of Portland's famous foodophile food!

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
I'm new here, and new to TDI, having only had mine for a month, but since TDIFest is in PDX, I'll be there! I've lived in Portland for nearly 20 years, and I'd be happy to direct people to fun things to see, lead excursions, and even take some folks to some of Portland's famous foodophile food!
:D Thanks for the offer for help! Hope to see you there also!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
It doesn't have to be a scavengar hunt in a competition sense, but some self guiding tours maps would be great. Ie if you want to go to the coast or to Mt Hood or whatnot you could have several POI's on the way that one could stop at or just drive by and look. No teams, not timer, no rush, no increased potential for accidents or bad driving... Like a pre-arranged personalized tour plan if you so choose.

Last edited:

Zippy_car

Trouble Maker
TDI
We've got some maps available with some area sight seeing options.
Other things to see and do in Portland

while we don't have any guided tours happening that are Portland specific, there are plenty of things to see and do.

We looked into doing a Geocache/scavenger hunt... but we realized it just wasn't going to work out with our current agenda schedule. sorry. :eek:

fixumrich

The Periodontist
TDI
2001 bug
I am Golfing Sunday Morning at a local Course Appx. a mile from the Hotel . If anyone is interested please feel free to p.m. and I can set you up for a tee time . The Course is Colewood National Golf . Fun and fairly open track . Rich !