Windshield Cowling removal.

POWERSTROKE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
How do you remove the lower windshield cowling near the wiper blades without cracking it? I am assuming that you remove the wipers and then how do you go about removing that plastic that runs the whole length of the windshield?

Galactic_Warrior

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
1. Remove wiper blades.
2. Remove access cover to cabin filter (not required, but makes the process easier).
3. Pull up from forward side and/or using a thin bladed scredriver, or better yet something plastic, pry away from base of windshield.

The cowl attaches in a groove just below the windshield. I used a screwdriver and as soon as I could get my fingers in, I pulled it up.

Best of Luck!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Up towards the sky. Frank, be very careful when putting it back on the glass. Use some silicone spray or lithium grease and spray the back side of the plastic tab or ridge that snaps into the groove.

Also, do it on a warm day. I managed to crack a windshield by putting too much pressure on the edge of the bottom part of the windshield.

Use the lubricant and be gentle putting it back.

Lito

yetta0

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,2000,Cheyanne Red
I just rebuilt my wiper assy yesterday and found that the best way to get the cowl off was to start at one end and lift the corner up out of the groove. Once you get that out, gently pull up along the rest of the way of the windshield. Once that is removed, lift it towards the roof to remove entirely. Don't try to go towards the engine underneath the hood.
I found that both of the spindles for the wipers arms were semi seized in the bushings. I had to hammer them out. I used emery cloth to clean them out as well as the spindles. be careful with the spindles though because the chrome coating could come off if you scrub it too much. Then I used DC-33 grease and packed the hell out of them. Put it all back together and they now work awesome. A little trick when removing the linkage from the motor is to use a punch to make a scribe between the two. Then just reassemble back using the marks.
Good luck.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Also, do it on a warm day. I managed to crack a windshield by putting too much pressure on the edge of the bottom part of the windshield.
Yep, I did the same thing.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
Dragging this one up...

I'm trying to do the same, remove the windshield cowling, on my 2004 Jetta, and man - it won't budge. Other MkIV owners have said it came off fairly easily, but I've been putting quite a bit of force into pulling/prying it up, and nothing. Am I still being too gentle, or is something maybe different on the '04s?

I'm going to try again tomorrow in the heat of day, but opinions/tips are welcome.

Thx,
fitzski.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Not sure about the '04 but... perhaps a better way of describing it is to pull straight out/away from the windshield at 90° to the windshield rake/angle. Start at one end and use your fingers only. Once it is started, just work your way across the windshield, prying out with your fingers. The comments about removing the wiper arms and cabin filter cover are valid. If you don't know which way to apply force, you can tear the 'tongue' off the shroud. It is kind of a tongue and groove situation with the groove on the windshield side and the tongue on the shroud.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Try spraying wd-40 or silicone lubricant at the edge of the cowl and the windshield.

It will flow into the groove or channel that flytidguy is reffering to.

When you re-install it, be sure to lubricate the plastic tongue on the backside and CLEAN out the channel just below the windshield where the tongue goes back.

And be sure NOT TO USE EXCESSIVE FORCE WHEN PUSHING DOWN the plastic cowl back into place. You can CRACK the windshield if excessive force is applied.

DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOW!!! Two windshields later

L

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Wow tongsli... you're not a masseur by profession are you
VW glass is legendary (or infamous) for its ding, chip, scratch-n-crack qualities but I'm surprised at what you describe. I'll put on my kid gloves next time I get at my ECU...

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the tips guys - I'll have another "crack" at it... 33 Celsius here today... good day to try.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry,

I guess the point of my post was to say the plastic cowling cover only needs a little bit of force to get it to snap into the channel. Any more and you run the risk.

That's all.

L

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Huzzah! Success!

Thanks guys - it was definitely a Mind's Eye Malfunction - I was totally wrong in picturing how it clipped in. It actually came out pretty easy. I did run a thin bead of grease in the groove to ease things next time - thanks for the tip.

I also took some pictures that I'll post later for others to better visualize.

[edit]Pictures added...[/edit]

Here is the "female" part of the clip, which is attached to the windshield.

This is the "male" piece, the cowling, which slides into the groove on the clip attached to the windshield. You can see that there is a slight barb on the tongue. However, once you get it started, it is very easy to remove.

On the passenger side, remove the loose end of the cowling from the rubber weather strip, and slide your fingers behind the cowling, with your knuckles against the windshield. Move your fingers as far across, toward the center of the car, as you can, and when it starts to get tight, pull out with your fingers, perpendicular to the windshield. You may get some assistance from using your other hand underneath the cowling to push at the same time. Once the first bit of the tongue-and-groove is separated, the rest will come easily.

Cheers,
Scott.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
tongsli, no sorrys necessary... Just attempting a bit of mirth. Sorry if I missed the mark.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
FlyTDI Guy said:
VW glass is legendary (or infamous) for its ding, chip, scratch-n-crack qualities but I'm surprised at what you describe.
Except...from past discussions... I know on a Beetle that's in the area of the thinnest part of the windshield. I've heard many a story of people cracking the windshields by doing dumb things like scrubbing a bad bug splat.

btcost

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW, '00 Jetta (totaled 12/23/10), 1987 M-B 300D
I went to go write some advice but you all beat me to it. I love this site.

90 deg from the groove is the best place to pull.

Dweebus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI
As someone else said, do this when it's warm out. I took mine off when it was 15F and the plastic cracked on the passenger's side, near the end where it gets very thin.
Now I'm having trouble getting it to clip back into place well. After looking at those pictures I'll give it another try.

JMason

TDI
2002 Golf
fitzski said:
Huzzah! Success!

Thanks guys - it was definitely a Mind's Eye Malfunction - I was totally wrong in picturing how it clipped in. It actually came out pretty easy. I did run a thin bead of grease in the groove to ease things next time - thanks for the tip.

This is the "male" piece, the cowling, which slides into the groove on the clip attached to the windshield. You can see that there is a slight barb on the tongue. However, once you get it started, it is very easy to remove.

On the passenger side, remove the loose end of the cowling from the rubber weather strip, and slide your fingers behind the cowling, with your knuckles against the windshield. Move your fingers as far across, toward the center of the car, as you can, and when it starts to get tight, pull out with your fingers, perpendicular to the windshield. You may get some assistance from using your other hand underneath the cowling to push at the same time. Once the first bit of the tongue-and-groove is separated, the rest will come easily.

Cheers,
Scott.
Thanks. I just did this, and couldn't have done it without breaking something had I not read this thread. The Haynes manual that I have for this 2002 Golf TDI, just say's "Remove the cowl."

astonishedboy

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2k Golf, Black Mariah
Awesome!! I was thinking it was glued on. Now I can get to that connector. Although I did put a crack in the center of the cowl when I was trying to get the right wiper off!

MikeLoeser

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Black 5sp
My thanks as well. I just finished in 20 mins including cleaning and lube what the dealer quoted $115!!

NadaGasser

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
fitzski said:
Huzzah! Success!

Cheers,
Scott.
Scott: I have a 1999.5 A4 Jetta and my car did NOT have the female part that clips to the bottom edge of the windshield! All that was present was the plastic cowling and it was tarred to the bottom edge of the windshield to prevent water leaking onto the ECM. Are the clip and the cowl two separate VW part numbers? I removed the cowl without breaking it, but some of the plastic lips on the underside of the cowl are not present, presumably broken off when a previous owner removed the cowl. Could you please give me the VW part number(s) for the clip and cowl? I could not find this on 1stVWParts drill down parts list. Thanks.

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
fitzski - THANKS! for the pictures.

My cowling doesn't stay flat against the windshied, so the wiper arm sometimes rubs against it. Right now, the space between the cowling and windshield is full of those little brown leaf things that rotate as they fall. In a couple weeks, I'll pull the cowling off and see what's up.

QUESTION.....can the piece that fits against the windshield be replaced it that is what is broken, without taking the windshield out? Does it "pop" into place?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
fitzski - THANKS! for the pictures.

My cowling doesn't stay flat against the windshied, so the wiper arm sometimes rubs against it. Right now, the space between the cowling and windshield is full of those little brown leaf things that rotate as they fall. In a couple weeks, I'll pull the cowling off and see what's up.

QUESTION.....can the piece that fits against the windshield be replaced it that is what is broken, without taking the windshield out? Does it "pop" into place?
yea, me too! I've had it off 3 or 4 times, it never goes back quite snug enough.
Nothings damaged, I've tried cleaning it, lubing it, even a little judicious sanding.
Perhaps the receiver on the windscreen needs reset or bent a little??

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
y..it never goes back quite snug enough.
..Perhaps the receiver on the windscreen needs reset or bent a little??
I'm thinking that the ridges along the edges of the cowling and the "receiver on the windshield" [okay...windscreen :)] get worn down or too flexible? I'll just have to take it off and see what the situation is.

ksmitty244

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I just rebuilt my wiper assy yesterday and found that the best way to get the cowl off was to start at one end and lift the corner up out of the groove. Once you get that out, gently pull up along the rest of the way of the windshield. Once that is removed, lift it towards the roof to remove entirely. Don't try to go towards the engine underneath the hood.
I found that both of the spindles for the wipers arms were semi seized in the bushings. I had to hammer them out. I used emery cloth to clean them out as well as the spindles. be careful with the spindles though because the chrome coating could come off if you scrub it too much. Then I used DC-33 grease and packed the hell out of them. Put it all back together and they now work awesome. A little trick when removing the linkage from the motor is to use a punch to make a scribe between the two. Then just reassemble back using the marks.
Good luck.
I agree with Yetta, I just replced my wiper linkage this weekend because it was froze up. I first took out the air cabin filter cover off cause it makes it a lot easrier and don't have to worry about cracking that piece, my linkage was shot as he says in above, but I got it on inline (I beive it was idparts, but ill have to double check as I have boxes coming in every day for costomers cars) for only 35 bucks shiped. Can't beat that.when I took the cowl off I just gently pulled upward/forward starting at one side at a time. Real easy job but the plastic is very brital. Good look

MrSafety

Newbie at Heart
California... Novato... 25 Mi. N. of S.F.
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI/ALH/01M-'80 240D Mercedes/'81 Rabbit "Caddy"/'99 Lexus ES300
... My 2 cents worth... !

I have had the cowl off several times tracing sensor wires to "computers"...
and broke the cowl the first time out but repaired it rather than replaced...
thinking it was expensive. NOT SO...
[1] next time I'll replace the cowl for it's less than $40 through most D/Stealers!
[2] don't use metal tool to try and remove... plastic is best...
[3] once cowl is out, an old or new stiff tooth brush together with "Armoral" plastics conditioner
is an excellent way to clean and condition... also Armoral is a good lubricant to put the cowl back in!
[4] careful reinstalling the wiper arms for you can easily cross up the "splined"(sp?) shaft...
and if you over-tighten the fastener/nut, you can force the arm assembly down too far and then it rubs!

CLEAN / LUBRICATE and REPLACE is my advice...
and I pride myself in repairing plastics... especially the ex$pesive trims etc,
Sam

Last edited: